Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Having Shaved legs and painted toes at the pool

Having Shaved legs and painted toes at the pool

Hi everyone.

I'm mostly in the closet except for a couple of people (hope to change that soon). I work out by going to the pool but for past few months I've gotten away from it because of illness, back problems and work. I want to go back to the pool except I'm a little worried how I'll look. By no means do I have an athletic build but I have shaved legs and painted toes. I've never been to the pool with nail polish on so I'm a little nervous about it. Some might say to just take off the nail polish but I just don't want to do it. Having my my toenails done keeps me happy in-between times that I can dress so I want to hold onto that as much as I can. Has anyone had experiences with toes painted at the gym/pool or locker room and want to share? I guess I'm just looking for a little push to do it. :/

I've had my legs fully shaved for the past 16 months and been back at my local gym and pool for 5 months... I can't think that anyone has ever noticed and certainly not commented.

I will occasionally have my nails and toenails clear coated and likewise, nobody says anything... I have totally chickened out at any colour though..

Maybe start that way and progress? I think I might go for a fleshy pink and see if anyone notices... and anyway - you're young; you can get away with lots a 50+ year old guy can't...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Go for it. Nobody will care. And if anyone does, probably all they will do is look a little longer than they may normally. Maybe they may raise an eyebrow. And the boldest among them might possibly ask if you have shaved your legs or ask why you have polish on your toe nails. To which you can respond, "Yes I shave my legs." And the ever scary response of "I have on toenail polish because I like it."

Seriously, I have never been asked about shaving any of my body hair, and I shave pretty much all of it and have done so off and on for the past 30+ years (and pretty much full time for the past 10+ years.) As well I have my had my toenails painted 24/7 for about 20+ years and maybe about 20 people have commented on it with only about 5 actually asking why I do it. My fingernails I keep painted 24/7 and have done so for the past 2 years with them being painted off and on for about 10-20 years. More people have asked me about my fingernails, which is to be expected. But still, all I have ever said is, "I like to." They say, "hmmm" And that is the extent of it.

We often build up these events to be so scary and in reality they generally turn out to be nothing at all. Especially with the general public. Despite what the news makes us think, most people are generally very timid and shy away from any sort of public conflict.

Aspiring Member
    I'm not all that experienced, but I have shaved all my body hair for some time and this is my experience: the only times I've noticed people staring is when I have let my tan fade completely and I look like frosty the snowman. I would go to the mall in shorts right at the beginning of spring and some people would noticeably look at me. Later in the month, as I tanned, not a person took any interest. So, if you're concerned with shaved legs or arms (or chest or whatever) - a good tan deflects many an inquisitive look. Just be careful about over exposure to damaging UV rays - you want to tan safely, not become a walking carcinoma. (I always use a strong sunscreen on my face, no matter what)
    As far as toenails and nails, I do use a clear coat on both and have only been asked once about my fingernails. I replied that I bite my nails and this is a good way to keep myself from doing so. That completely satisfied the questioner.
    Someday, maybe I'll be brave enough to use some color. Someday.

I don't think shaved legs are a problem, my legs are almost hairless even when I didn't shave them. I went to a public beach last summer a few times and no one seems to notice my legs or underarms. I use an almost clear pink on my toenails or sometimes a light neutral pink. Hugs Jaymee
    I enjoy being a boy, being a GIRL like me!!!

The first time I shaved my legs, that same day's afternoon I ended up in our back yard pool with my 19 year old daughter. She knows and happily accepts I CD, but I hadn't spoken to about me taking the step of shaving off my rather noticeable amount of leg fur. After 3 hours or so of lazing around in the pool, mostly floating on our backs in inflatable lounge chairs that definitely had my legs above the surface and 'on display', she still hadn't commented on it, so I mentioned it. She admitted she hadn't noticed I was shaved at all, until I asked her about it!

When I recently shaved my arms, the next day I had three straight male friends who do NOT know I CD over to play cards. These are guys that see me almost every weekend at the game table. Not one of them noticed I was the only guy at the table with no fur on his arms, or that the fur I used to have was now gone.

In a public pool, the majority of the people will never know, or care, how hairy or smooth you were in the past. And most of them will pay no attention to arms or legs being shaved on a guy.

Haven't done painted nails or toes in guy mode yet, but I agree with the others - if someone asks why, just shrug and say, "why not? I like it."

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Just go with a light transparent color like Jaymee says.
    I go with bold colors on my toes 24/7 and have for about 10 years and wear sandals in the summer.
    I have had only positive comments about my toenails mostly from women but a few guys have said "dude are your toenails painted" and my reply is yes I know and thats as far as it goes.

You mentioned that having them painted keeps you happy, that is reason enough to leave them painted. You are using the pool to exercise which overall picks up the good feelings you have about you, this is a for you thing all around. Strangers at a pool dont play into what feelings you seek, paint em bright, shine, and scream this is me

I have been going to the pool with shaved legs and painted toes for about three years now. Public pools, like at the local high school. Semi private like at the Y or all summer at water parks. Never had a issue. Now, let me add that while I am not " out " per se to family. I am out to friends and everyone in my family knows I paint my nails. Fingers and toes. From my very liberal mother the original church lady to my uber conservative ex marine brother.

I think you can go and not care. Nobody else will.
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

If any one noticed, they haven't said, haven't pointed at me, haven't made funny faces at me.
    Maybe the hundreds who have seen me, were to busy swimming
    I would have thought wearing girls t-shirt and yoga tights to and from might have gotten me some looks, maybe I'll have to wear something more outrageous.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

I'll throw in my 3 cents as well. Legs shaved?...ehh...sometimes but its not out of rebellion or need or anything. Just if I have time. Toe nails have been frost pink for about 10 years 24/7 however.

My GF of Six months doesn't know about Stephanie yet. But she likes metro sexual look on guys. So i shave legs and underarms and she likes my toes painted with dark gray, dark brown or dark blue. She even bought white flip flops... turns out they are woman's cause she likes the way they show of the color. Wants me to go out showing off my toes for the metro sexual look. But hey can't be pickey about labels...might take her up on it soon.
    Last edited by Stephanie Michelle; 05-01-2015 at 04:03 PM. Reason: spelling

Platinum Member
    Hi Ryce, I've had my legs hair free for almost 50yrs. and no one ever says any thing
    my finger nails are in PURE ICE a light pink polish also no comments.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I've been going to the gym/pool with shaved legs for around 10 yrs. Sometimes I'd wear a light polish.

I've never had anyone comment, and a number have looked closely at my right ankle from where I had ankle surgery.
    DonnaT

I've had painted nails at the gym, yes they noticed, smiled, and carried on exercising.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Ryce: Gold polish is also hard to notice, even if it has glitter in it. Even my SO didn't notice for weeks, and she had to walk right past them while I sat back in my reclining chair. She is usually very observant. Like you, I also like to keep them polished, just for my own satisfaction.

Aspiring Member
    If it makes you too uncomfortable then don't do it.
    If you want to try then a clear or pale pink polish would be best as it would not be as noticeable unless some one stares.
    Do what makes you happy we only pass this way once.

Hugs

Jayne

Daniella Argento
    I shave most of my body from eyebrows down...
    Never had any comments but then I don't make a fuss one way or the other.
    I don't wander around with nail polish.
    Once I come home and undress, the polish comes off.

I have always had legs that have produced few hairs, so that is not a problem for me and my arms have very fine hairs. I guess I am "lucky" but in the old days it was embarising, but I must admit that no one ever said anything about it even the 9 years I spent in the military.

I like the idea of clear coated toe nails though. Never thought of that

Recently I had a few days at home by myself and painted my toe nails. Loved the look, but when it came time to remove the polish, I could not remove it all. So I went to a local beauty parlour and they did a wonderful job and removed the evidence. First time in such a place and can fully understand why anyone would go and have a pamper

Look forward to the next visit when my toe nails need attention again

Pen
    So much to learn still

I have read about a neet trick in a girls magazine. What you do is take baking powder and a little peroxide just enough to make a paste. Rub this on your nails till they turn white. After you clean them, just put some top coat on them and away you go!

Shaved legs are more common than not. Some may notice, but it's not that unordinary. The nail polish will certainly attract attention.

Paint them bright red! Nobody cares. Just enjoy yourself.

I was in charge of the pool at our old apartment complex one summer. I was out there everyday with shaved legs, and nobody noticed. Though if they did, they didn't say anything to me about it. Didn't have my toes painted, though.

Shaved legs are no problem . Almost no one will notice... I shave my legs all the time. I even get my pits shaved too (though I started laser treatments on legs and pits recently so I don't have to shave as often)

Toe nail polish... I don't think many people will notice or even care... just be yourself and rock the polish girl!

Quote Originally Posted by Tammy Kenderson View Post
    I have read about a neet trick in a girls magazine. What you do is take baking powder and a little peroxide just enough to make a paste. Rub this on your nails till they turn white. After you clean them, just put some top coat on them and away you go!
    I'd suggest baking soda instead of baking powder. Baking powder includes baking soda, but also includes a couple of additional minerals that make it more expensive.

I've heard freshly squeezed lemon juice works well for whitening nail tips.
    DonnaT