Thread: Throw out what doesn't make you happy

Throw out what doesn't make you happy

My wife is cleaning out her half of the closet, getting rid of stuff that doesn't fit, hasn't worn in a long time or just doesn't make her happy. Yesterday she was strongly suggesting I do the same so together we went through my shirts and pants and got rid of a bunch of stuff. Today when she wasn't in the room I got rid of some more stuff that doesn't make me happy -- my men's underwear!

That really does make me feel better!

I don't know why, when it comes to spring cleaning and we go threw our clothes, my bag is always full with men's clothes and my wife is alway telling that I have to go threw the female clothes, that I have dresses and things out dated and old. Because I am a person who doesn't take anything for granted, I can't let it go, I don't know if I still can't believe that thinking back at my teenage years and would have never thought thirty years later I would be allowed to own and wear women's clothes around my wife. something I wanted so bad years ago and now I am throwing it away.

I like the sound of this thread, "Throw out what doesn't make you happy".

That's a great reason for spring cleaning. I just know there are a few skirts or outfits I can't or won't wear ever again. I think it is time to make a trip to Good Will!

I toss stuff that has the elastic worn out, discolored or ripped articles. Otherwise, I keep it. I learned how difficult it is to find pretty female clothing in my size. I never throw something out until I replace it.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I have been trying the buy one get rid of one practice. It's easy with guy clothes because I don't have any sentimental attachment. With the girl stuff it is a lot harder. I buy because things are pretty, I like the way they look, and I like the way they feel. They make me happy. After losing 40 lbs this last year I got to replace my entire wardrobe. Now everything I have makes me happy. Even some of my skinny little boy clothes.
    Live and let dress.

Stuff I do not wear because it does not look good on me is easy to pass on to the charity shop - stuff that is too small is harder because I would have to admit I cannot really lose the weight

I find it hard to part with any of Michelle's clothes, I suppose I like to hang onto them more than my male clothes because I've had of years of not being able to have any women's clothes until now! It just feels wrong to throw them away

I find it hard to throw out my female wardrobe. Some items have turned vintage, and if thrown out would be hard to be replaced. I bought loads of shiny lycra/spandex exercise leggings and leotards when they were in style decades ago. I hate to part with any even if they no longer fit because they are no longer in fashion and can't be replaced. To segue into my wife's clothes, she passed almost one year ago. I still cannot even think of going through her clothes. Eventually, my daughters will have to do this task for me. I cannot!

Platinum Member
    Hi Nyla, When my wife cleans out her closet about half of it ends up in my side of the closet.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Banned Read only
    Nyla,
    Sorting my wardrobe last year before my holiday did make me happy, it was a load of trousers that didn't fit any more because I'd lost almost 28lbs ! I'm determined to keep my shape now !
    The sad part is I wasn't allowed to replace them with some nice skirts and dresses, but at least I've got room now for when my wife passes things to me, it will be interesting when she starts to hang her things in my side !

Platinum Member
    Good advice. I've learned to easily part with out dated and poorly chosen outfits. No sentimentality associated with any of them!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Yes, choose an amount of time, say maybe a year, and throw out the stuff you havent used in that time. That goes for non clothing items too. I tend to be a packrat, and if I dont make a conscious effort to thin the herd at least once or twice a year, I just might end up on one of those shows about hoarders.
    Last edited by Andy66; 05-03-2015 at 09:04 AM.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    this is actually on my agenda for next week....last years " summer clothes" are all going to get tried on again ( hopefully they are all too BIG now and dont fit cause I'm so skinny LOL...wishful thinking) ...but I will try them all on see what fits, what works, what I still like, whatever I dont it's OUTTA HERE also time to pack away all the winter jackets, leggings, long sleeves etc...hello summer, hello shorts, hello legs xoxo

In addition to the men's underwear, I also threw out an equal number of women's underwear. Stuff I hadn't worn in a very long time, showed some wear, or just wasn't as pretty as what I wear now. It wasn't as easy since I hadn't thrown out that many panties since my last purge. this time I had to reassure myself this wasn't a purge, just letting go of what I'll never wear again.

I found it difficult to do my first ever ''spring clean'' a month or two ago but in the interest of wearing proper fitting sizes, matching items and fresh new clothing I eventually managed to reduce my wardrobe. Just waiting for the time to bring the levels back up
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

I usually do a spring cleaning once every well, spring lol The funny part is I usually just do the femme stuff, never the drab stuff. My SO takes most of it and does a garage sale. Last year she did that and came back home and told me that all of my femme stuff was the first things to go lol too bad I didn't see any of the money lol
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

Banned Read only
    I can't come to throwing anything out unless it is damaged. If it is out of style it gets stored away. Our house has plenty of room for that. If I hold onto it long enough it can be donated to wardrobe department of a theater group. I'm like some women I know when it comes to sizes. I too have grown a "little." There is always hope I will revert to my size of 1971. Then I could also fit into my military uniform hanging in the back of the closet.

Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    My wife goes through her wardrobe all of the time and has been after me to do the same; which is hard for me to do. I need to go through my stuff, I'll do that someday.
    Dana Ryan

I like the slogan,and as good an excuse as any for going out shopping! A lot of new Spring & Summer fashion out there.

I have been getting rid of clothes that were part of my learning/panic buying phase. Now I am much more comfortable shopping either with my wife, or increasingly alone, I can take my time over picking things that I like rather than things that are quick and anonymous to buy. I keep my very first outfit for sentimental reasons though

Most of that went a long time ago.
    The only thing that I have that makes me unhappy is a size eight dress.

It doesn't fit me any more, five years on now.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.