Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Whats the point of labels?

Whats the point of labels?

My name is Jon Huckaby. I live in San Diego California. This is my first post on this site. I just joined today. I grew up in Fremont Nebraska. I'm the son of two right winged, conservative Marines who love me more than anything. I played football as a free safety for 10 years. I recently graduated from San Diego State University with a Bachelors in Theatre Arts. Since graduation I have continued to viciously perused my career as a stage manager. I have been with the same girl for the last seven years now and I play guitar in a kick ass band. Oh yeah, I love cross dressing.

If im gonna go with labels to describe myself, I will say this:

I am a transgender person who was happily born as a male and at the same time embraces the femininity within my being by choosing to dress in accordance with those feelings by wearing the clothes that make me the most comfortable.

Whew! You have no idea how hard that was to piece together the words to write that. I think I have spent the last 21 years figuring out how to say that. Anyway, I don't really believe in labels, but even then, I myself have been trying to find my own label, my own culture, my own demographic that I fit into. And even still, with this extremely specific and descriptive summary of my gender identity I still don't think I fit into any particular group. But that's okay.

I'd like to now tell you about myself so hopefully if there is someone out there like me, they can know they're not alone.

At 4 years old I started dressing up. My moms clothes. She was in the Navy. First a Marine. Then the Navy. I remember she would be gone so long. Sometimes 6 months at a time. I wore her clothes because it felt like she was with me.

At 7 years old my mom caught me wearing her clothes. She thought it was cute, she laughed and left me alone. Even then, at that young of an age, somehow I knew that what I was doing was "wrong". I didn't dress up for a very long time.

Im 15 now. My sister takes me shopping. It's my birthday. She's a young punk rocker kid and I'm a dorky football kid who's just now getting into theatre. She buys me a pair of skin tight jeans. I really like them. A lot... they remind me of something. It takes me weeks to remember until one day I do finally remember. My moms bedroom. 4 years old. Her panty hose. I get more skinny pants. My football friends don't mind. They think its cool.

Im 16. Im in my first play. Im asked to wear make-up. Never done that before. "Only fags wear make-up" I said. But I really loved this play and I'd do what ever they asked. A boy who was in the play (he happened to be gay) taught me how to do my make-up. He was really good at it. I thought it felt weird. But it reminded me of being a kid and smelling my moms make-up at her vanity. I started wearing a little make-up to school everyday. Told everyone it was for the play.

I'm 17. My final project is coming up for senior year. I'm supposed to wear a suit. My dad... Ah, I love my dad. He takes me shopping for a suit. He buys me a pair old PFC's. "PFC" is a racist term from back east. My dad's from Philly, and out there they call high heeled, pointed toe, black leather mens dress shoes "PFC's" which stands for "Puerto Rican Fence Climbers". I loved those shoes. If I closed my eyes when I walked, they sounded like high heeled shoes.

I'm 18. I get a job at a hair salon selling hair products. Out of the 15 companies I applied for, they were the only ones who called me back and I only got the job because I had a well kept pompadour at the time. Well, I save up all my money to buy only 1 thing. A tattoo. (Not my first tattoo, but the one I've always wanted, since I was about 5 or 6) A woman in a red corset and fishnets with black motorcycle boots smoking a cigarette and looking so strong and so modest and so out of this world she could never be real. She is an enigma of femininity. It wasn't until 19 that I realized she was my inspiration. And in a way, she was me...

I'm still 18. I'm really finding myself in my tight jeans and clicky PFC's and my lady on my arm everywhere I go. I also started to grow my hair out longer and it bgan to touch my shoulders. I was feeling something different. Different but very good. For the first time ever, I felt really good about myself. I meet a girl in my dance class. She is the nicest and coolest person I've ever met. We start dating the summer after I graduate high school. I discover sex with her. I loose my virginity with her while listening to The Velvet Underrgrounds "Heroin" and it is the most beautiful thing. One day, I go out and surprise her. I buy her a pair or red fishnets. I bring them home to her. She feels uncomfortable wearing them. She says, "you just want me to look like a ****!" I try to explain. She doesn't understand. She asks me to take her home. I'm hard as a rock. I go back home and without thinking about it I put onn the fishnets and angrily masturbate.

I'm still 18. After the red fishnet inscident. I go nuts. I start taking her clothes and buying others from womens clothing stores. I also started smoking weed this year for the first time. I discovered Marc Bolan (from T. Rex. a great musician). My friend who was also my drummer in my band at the time decided to hang himself one day. This year really changed me. No I'm getting high and writing poetry and music and dressing up like a girl alone in my room every single night.

I'm 19. It's my birthday. I want to go bowling. But dressed as a girl. "It'll be funny!" I said. After bowling that night, I told my girlfriend that I like dressing like this. Then I tell her everything. About being 4 and missing mom. About my tight pants days, my PFC's, my tattoo, how I feel so feminine but still feel like a man at the same time. She supports it. Takes me shopping even. Teaches me how to do my make-up. God I love her.

Between 19 and 22 I explored this very real and very exciting part of myself in college. I decided, through research online and reading several forums (much like this one) that there weren't a lot of "straight" guys openly dressing like women out there. So I decided to be a representative of the cross dressing community at my college. I went to school in a dress of some sort almost every day.

I started writing music at 19 and performing every weekend at clubs and coffee shops dressed as a woman every show.

I had the honor of stage managing a show about a straight man who is a cross dresser called "The Red Address". That show really allowed me to come out as a cross dresser with my friends and colleagues at school.

My theatre friends and I write our own sketch comedy show. I lip sync "Life's a Gas" by T. Rex and received nothing but love for something I put so much time and effort into. I never felt so proud.

I finally tell my parents that this is who I am. They are so loving and supporting of me. Who'd of thought. Two trained killers, two bad ass republican red meat eating Marines, loving their cross dressing son. They did and they still do.

My mom tells her dad about my secret. One day I get a call from the man. My Grandpa is a Cherokee Indian who grew up on a reservation most of his life. He tells me he's proud of me. He also says he's not surprised that I dress up like a girl. He says as far back as he can remember there have been relatives on my Cherokee side of the family who were either cross dressers, gay, bisexual or hermaphrodites. All of which were excellent leaders, artistic and genuinely strong and kind people. He told me that I "am a continuum of my Cherokee culture and I should be proud of who I am because my transgender qualities are what make me so blessed". He said that if I was alive 400 years ago, I would have been the leader of my tribe. That the majority of our ancestors leaders possessed the qualities of both sexes because they were blessed by the great spirit.

To think It took me till I was almost 20 years old until I learned that that my confusing feelings about my gender are nothing new. So much so that they actually fall into line with my genetic relationship with the family I never met who were just like me. I never forgot that phone call with my grandpa and not a day goes by that I don't feel proud of who I am because of my lineage as a transgender person.

Feeling very confident and supported in my personal and creative, I decided to apply for a job at Lips. They asked me if I wanted to do a "So you think you can drag" contest. I prepared for weeks. I wore green and peacock feathers all over my body. I sang "Twisted" by Annie Ross. I got second place. The only judge that didn't give me a 10 was a judge who gave me a 2. Upon questioning by my rugby playing firend as to WHY he only gave me a 2 when all the other judges gave me 10's, he replied, "Because your straight friend doesn't belong here." I felt misunderstood and hurt. I cried that night. I have not been back to Lips since.

I was laughed at by a girl and her gay friend in front of a bar one night because I told them I didn't want to hook up because Im in a relationship. When they asked "With who, what's he look like" and I replied "Her name is Colleen and she has blonde hair..." thay laughed at me like I was pretending to enjoy my outfit. I cried that night.

When I turned 21, I went to the only bar on my college campus "Loui's". I stood in line while three DIFFERENT groups of people threw French fries and onion rings at me. They took pictures of me, and they all called me a faggot. I cried that night. Something about dressing up and having a birthday...

I went to the SRO which is a drag bar in San Diego one time (it was my first time going there) and I went into the alley for a smoke. A man followed me. Tried talking to me for a few minutes. Was nice at first. Then he shoved me up against the dumpster, put his hand around my throat and the other on my groin and said, "Ya I'd **** you". I hit him and ran away as fast as I could. I didn't dress up in public for the next two years...

Im 24 (this was a few months ago). I finally tell my boss that I like to dress up like a girl. She knew, she asked and finally I told her what was up. As part of my final project for my internship at the theatre I'm working at, I need to make something out of a pattern with a sewing machine. You guessed it, I wanted to make a dress. So eventually she asks me why. Why I like to dress up like a girl. I tell her everything and she says that I need to keep it to myself. That if I ever come to work in a dress, that my chances of getting re-hired are very slim. I go crazy. I decide to start dressing up full time again. Not at work but after work. Every night. This only goes on for about a week until...

Im out with my good friend Joe. We're getting beers at the beach together when a group of people ask if they can sit with us. They're very nice and eventually they all get up for a refill. All except one. A girl. She was the loudest of the bunch. She talks to me and Joe for a while and eventually says "SO what are you guys, a couple of fags or somethin'?" Joe gets upset. He's known me for a long time. We're very good friends. He calls her a "****" and asks her to leave our table. When her boyfriend comes back she's screaming at me and Joe. He boyfriend tries to fight my friend, so I pull him out of the bar. We go somewhere else. I start to cry. Joe decides, "**** it, I'm gonna do what you do and document it. It's bullshit that people like you aren't understood and mistreated" Joe decided (literally 4 weeks ago) to dress like a woman everyday for 6 months and document his journey. He started his own website "beardandsequins" and he's making real headway for the cause. At least I think he is.

Bruce Jenner has an interview on 20/20 the day after Joe and I had our night together. "**** Bruce Jenner" I said. My girlfriend makes me watch it... I never felt so inspired. I went to Vons that night to buy groceries with red high heels on.

Now I'm here. Writing this. I want to continue wearing the things I wear. I'm very lucky to have my girlfriend and my friends and family who support me to no end. I want to tell my boss that I'm going to never stop being myself and that everyone at my theatre is going to have to deal with it. I hope things go well for my friend Joe. I feel so inspired that people like him are in the world fighting for all the people like me. It makes me want to stand up for myself more. And I have been. I guess all I can say is I don't understand labels but if people want to classify themselves then I can classify myself as someone who doesn't fit in with societies overall understanding of gender. I am someone who never feels fully accepted, no matter how many of my friends and family are there to back me up I still feel like I' on the outside. But I'm gonna keep trying to be myself and not let it all affect me. What hurts me the most is when people think I'm a joke. I don't know why anyone in their right mind would ever joke about cross dressing. They'd have to be the most masochistic people in the world to think it would be "fun" to dress up in the clothing of the opposite sex. At the end of the day, I think it doesn't matter what branch of the Transgender tree we are because, ultimately, it takes courage and determination to go out in non-gender-conforming attire. It takes balls and a heart made of steel.

I thank you for reading my crazy long and seemingly meaningless rambling life story. But I want all of you to know that I love you all and support what ever it is that your doing with your lives. As long as you love yourself you can do no wrong...

<3 Jon
    Last edited by Katey888; 05-07-2015 at 05:38 PM. Reason: Removed some profanities

I use labels only for the sake of convenience. I prefer to see others as who they are as people and use names mostly rather than labels.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Quote Originally Posted by Jon Huckaby View Post
    If im gonna go with labels to describe myself, I will say this:

I am a transgender person who was happily born as a male and at the same time embraces the femininity within my being by choosing to dress in accordance with those feelings by wearing the clothes that make me the most comfortable.
    This is exactly how my SO describes him-herself. Good job! For shorthand, my SO has also identified as "dual-gender" on social profiles (although this can be a bit confusing to people not in this community), and "gender fluid" also works.

Welcome to the forum!

... wow. I continued to read your post. Your parents and grandpa are awesome! As to the non-accepting, non-understanding world, I agree it's out there. And I agree that people like you and my SO need hearts of steel. I'm so glad you have people in your life who understand. This makes all the difference.
    Last edited by ReineD; 05-07-2015 at 09:27 AM.
    Reine

Aspiring Member
    Powerful introduction. Native American people, before the Europeans came, refered to males who dressed as women as two-spirited people, and they were honored members of their community. Perhaps, with the many LBGT changes these days we can be accepted similarly before too long.

Looking forward to more of your experiences, and welcome to this forum

Ineke

Welcome Jon, glad to have you here. You, and your friend Joe's website are very thought provoking and inspiring. Any chance Joe would want to join us on here?
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

What a great story! This totally made my day. You have so much confidence and are not afraid to be who you are. Kudos! I'm sorry you had that run in in the alley. There are sadly quite few creeps out there, and being gender variant can make you seem like a easy mark. It happens to many of us at some point. Don't let the jerks keep you down though. Keep on keepin' on!

I took Underdresser's cue and looked up your friend's blog. Good for him! I had a chuckle at this one, because it's so true:

Quote Originally Posted by beardandsequins.tumblr.com
    For one, women’s clothes are much thinner than men’s clothes. I was absolutely terrified I was going to destroy everything I put on. Another thing I never realized is the way women’s clothes are designed to accentuate sexual attributes. My level of self-consciousness was through the roof!

I shared this with a friend of mine and she told me that is EXACTLY what she hates about clothes shopping. She laughed, saying that every time she goes shopping she feels like she doesn’t want to eat for a month. As an aside, I expect to cut some weight over the course of this journey.
    There are groups of women who are very much opposed to the sexualization of women's bodies and who refuse to wear things that are thin and revealing. But, I think it is so ingrained in the rest of us that a lot of women's clothes are like that (especially the dressier clothes), that we don't really pause to question it.
    Reine

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Welcome Jon.

Sometimes compromise serves a purpose. It isn't a cop out, it's a tactical manoeuvre. If you're willing to risk harming your chosen career by ignoring advice, then be prepared to accept the consequences. You're young and probably ambitious- don't sink your own canoe for the sake of what you think are 'principles'. Principles are what got a lot of people prematurely deaded.

Have fun with the dressing, don't let it define you.

Hugs, Nikki
    I used to have a short attention spa

I'm not a label-hater. They are useful. Nikki, to borrow your last line and expand on it, I would say: You can use [multiple] labels to describe you, but don't let [a single] label to define you.

Your story has meaning for us all.......with your talent we could see a new real life TV show - entertaining and enlightening the masses: what a good read - welcome and post more .................................Debra

you don't need a label ....you are simply you...
    Last edited by Debra Russell; 05-07-2015 at 11:51 AM.

Wow, Jon! what an amazing story and it sounds like you have a great and support circle of friends and family.
    ...it takes courage and determination to go out in non-gender-conforming attire. It takes ****ing balls and a heart made of steel.
    This is so true! and welcome

Quote Originally Posted by Originally Posted by beardandsequins.tumblr.com
    For one, women’s clothes are much thinner than men’s clothes. I was absolutely terrified I was going to destroy everything I put on. Another thing I never realized is the way women’s clothes are designed to accentuate sexual attributes. My level of self-consciousness was through the roof!
    That is part of what I find appealing in women's clothing. I see nothing wrong with dressing that way, or wanting to. I do understand that many women don't like it because it is expected of them, and because of the preconceptions that people, ( usually, but not always, men ) have about clothing.
    "dressed like that she's asking for it"
    "she always dresses frumpy, how boring"
    Damned if you , damned if you don't.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    There are groups of women who are very much opposed to the sexualization of women's bodies and who refuse to wear things that are thin and revealing. But, I think it is so ingrained in the rest of us that a lot of women's clothes are like that (especially the dressier clothes), that we don't really pause to question it.
    Agreed, nothing wrong with questioning it though.

I bought a short dress the other day, and am trying to modify it slightly to fit me, in such a way that I feel I can wear it in public. Because it is slightly too small, ( it stretches ) and because the hips are cut for a woman, it tends to be wanting to creep up. It's actually, when you look at it with a neutral eye, quite acceptable, but it falls so far outside the norm for men's clothing it's quite jarring. I like it though, because it does what I want. With opaque legwear, it really shows off my legs and butt, ( which I am quite proud of given my age ) but doesn't give the impression of trying to show off cleavage I don't have.

I hesitate to wear it though, because,
    "He mus be a F**, I bet I can get him to......" ( I'll let you fill in your own bit there )
    "He must want to be a woman, why doesn't he just get hormones and get on with it"
    "If he bends over like that, you'll be able to see everything" ( You can't, unless you get down on the floor and look up, and even then, you'll only see underwear )

Le sigh
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Welcome to the Forum and thank you for such a well written and heart warming story. God bless your parents and grand father.

Jon,
    Welcome to the forum and with such a long post.
    Labels can be useful but not necessary.
    I look forward to hearing from you again as it seems you have had an intresting life up til now.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Hi jon, you're story is truly inspiring. I commend you for being so proactive in promoting our rights and acceptance. I too am Native American, I was born and raised Okanagan but I also have a little Cherokee in my ancestry. I wrote a post about Native American spiritual understanding of gender on the thread "whats you're opinion about past lives influencing you, if at all?" post #53 if you are interested. Welcome to the group and I look forward to more discussions!

Hi Jon:

Welcome! I enjoyed reading your post. Not only did you hit a number of important topics, but we have much in common. I grew up in York. I'll let you know if I find any group therapy for CDs who grew up in smalltown Nebraska!

You touched on this, and your friend Joe does in his blog - the idea that we're a joke. This is my No. 1 irritation with the general population. Unfortunately, it's well ingrained. A few weeks ago Will Ferrel was on the Tonight Show dressed as "Little Debbie." Of course, the man-in-a-dress joke went on and on. I literally asked my wife if she could remember any time a crossdresser was shown in TV or movies when it wasn't either a joke, or a forced thing. Either the guy is dressed for comic effect, or he's dressed against his will. I'm so weary of that sort of portrayal, so I applaud you and your friend for trying to dispel myths.
    Ms. Tina Zee - Your favorite gender nonconforming ukulelist and vocalist. Well, one of your favorites, I hope.

See me sing right here! https://www.youtube.com/user/MsTinaZee

Quite an intro Jon...

We normally have intros in the Intro section (yes, we can be obsessively orderly here sometimes...) but we'll leave it here as it's generated such a lot of interest... although I think you may have been in for the record length of Intro had you posted there... But thank you for sharing so much about yourself and your fascinating ancestry - really intriguing..

Labels? Well, useful for inanimate objects - be really confusing going to the freezer and wondering what flavour of ice cream you're getting... Same thing for people in society - if we want society to be structured, rational, orderly... bit like this place? Labels (or categories) help people understand each other... People in authority have labels; people who work have labels; we label people we know - friends, family, colleagues.. The gender labels are a bit more complicated but the joking you experience is because that's what people often do about things they don't understand or can't comprehend. Sad for us (and them) but hopefully education will help normal folk understand more that we do what we do not as a joke, but because of a real need to find some harmony in life... and perhaps a bit of fun sometimes too...

You are a newbie, so you get the newbie tips here and perhaps pay attention to the use of expletives..? We try to keep it reasonably polite and bad language free... Tips now on how to get started...

As a new member (less than 10 posts) there are limits on where you can view and post across the forum - which means that some subjects (like Clothing, Shopping & Beauty) which are only allowed to be discussed in the relevant sections of the forum, won't be open for you to discuss until you have 10 posts (replies) in the areas that are open to you (NB: Posts in Intros do not count toward this) nor will functionality like PMs. It means that you have to contribute a little bit of your experience and opinions before you are able to access the wealth of information and discussion that resides on those closed parts of the forum. A quid pro quo, if you will.
    So, my recommendation for etiquette here - read some of the posts on the main forum to get a feel for how things operate, before you dive in with starting your own thread, that way you'll see what other folk do and what the subjects are about. When you find a subject you feel you have an opinion you want to share - hit reply - tell everyone what you feel, think, or have experienced - keep within the rules, of course..
    Once you’ve settled in and participated enough you can check out the other areas - please always search before asking a question - we do delete threads if others on the same subject are already open, but we'll try and point you in some sort of direction to help out.

Do also please, please, read the Forum FAQs, rules and stickies in each section - they'll help you get around and provide useful guidelines for posting.
    Enjoy the forum!
    Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Jon,

Your final line says it so well. You have to love yourself!

Ok, I have to ask. 10 years playing ball? That had to include college ball, right? Only played 4 (OK, mostly watched from the bench) as a tight end (no puns, please), still friends with quite a few teammates (of course, they know nothing about my alter ego).

Any way, very well done! We are who we are and we were made this way.

Please keep us posted.

Kandi
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Wow! That was quite a post and it was your first one. I think you might also think of writing as a possible future endeavor or career.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Jon Huckaby View Post
    Personally. I think exchanging 4-6 words for 40+ is a good trade...

DeeAnn

Thank you Jon. It was nice to hear what may have been a difficult story for you to write. I agree with you that subdividing us with more labels may be weakening us. You've been through so much and I feel silly for still feeling scared/nervous to go out the way I want to dress. Stay strong and I'll be sure to check out your friend's website. <3

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Welcome Jon nice intro.
    No need for labels IMO just be yourself and enjoy being you.

Jon, that was a great read thank you for sharing your story.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Jon, your journey is your own and unique. However, I've read countless threads from others here with similar experiences. If u think u have a hard time describing yourself u should have had my convoluted journey here!

But, our labels aren't important to us as individuals. We r what we r. Only when we wish to explain ourselves to others is it helpful.

It's kind of like saying, "I'm a car". But, what kind? Sports car, SUV, wagon? And, what brand? Ford, Nissan, Maserati?

I'm sort of a; model T, convertible, by Porsche!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

California law protects you from workplace discrimination based on gender identity. Very inspirational post and far from meaningless.