Thread: Random question about testosterone

Random question about testosterone

Hey everyone

I was just thinking to myself about the uses of hormones to alter gender when I got to thinking, if women take estrogen during pregnancy and male athletes can often abuse testosterone what would happen if some of us took a small dose of testosterone, if our mindset is the way it is from a chemical imbalance , would adding testosterone have any affect on our dressing?

I know it's probably a silly question I might add, just curious!
    Last edited by Sarah-RT; 05-08-2015 at 09:42 AM.

i'm a Pacific North West gurl that has lived in a few other places, but i always find my way back.
    i have had my testosterone checked and it has always been on the high side of normal, lots of body hair to deal with too, and it has never had a bearing on me dressing or not.

I can only speak from mmy own experience, as every person is different . If I were to take extra T, not only woould my dressing not be affected, I would most likely become more moody/angry/depressed :-/ (not like i'd need it anyway, apparently my levels were mostly normal)
    My YT randomness - http://www.youtube.com/user/thelynnef1 (closed, please use twitter - http://twitter.com/Lynne__f

You should consult a Doctor before taking any of that stuff.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Through one thing and another I went off a T blocker last year for a very brief period. I never want to feel like that again.

I was prescribed a T-gel due to low T.

Didn't affect me one way or the other.

Everyone is different, however.
    DonnaT

Aspiring Member
    Testosterone (hormones) will affect your sex drive but not your crossdressing. Dopamine (a neurotransmitter) is directly associated with the sensation of gratification we receive from crossdressing.

Thanks for all the answers, I've never been to the doctors over my testosterone levels so I can't say how normal it is but I've no adverse affects so it's presumably fine

I have wondered that but knowing a couple of athletes that abuse the system with hormones I doubt it.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

I think you would find that an increase in T, particularly externally provided T rather than produced by the body, would actually increase crossdressing desires!

Not something to play with without medical advice.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

That's something i would never have imagined Persephone, don't worry however, i have no intentions of playing around with my chemistry, just an honest curiosity

Women do not take estrogen during pregnancy although about 50 years ago DES was used for threatened miscarriage. It had some subsequent in utero effects though not as bad as initially published. Currently, progesterone is used to prevent pre term labor in the high risk pregnancy. T levels in an otherwise healthy person probably do not mean very much. Would you go fly an F-16 without a trained pilot? Same for mucking about with hormones. ("Mucking about" is a good medical term just like "wonky.")

The biggest problem down the road with DES was more of an increased incidence of vaginal neoplasms/adenomas/carcinomas in female offspring of females who took DES to prevent miscarriages. There have also been a few more recent reports or suggestions about possibly an increased incidence in males with gender identity issues born of mothers who took DES all those years ago. Not definitely proven but some have been investigating such. Those who suggested such postulate that it may have prevented an androgen/testosterone surge in mothers during pregnancy that sets the brain wiring a bit out of whack with possibly some influence in the production of neurotransmitters.
    Besides that you also have to remember that estrogen and testosterone are chemical kissing cousins and can be interconverted. That is why some males who take testosterone supplements develop gynecomastia (breast enlargement) because some of the testosterone is converted to estrogen and conversely females with polycystic ovary disease with an excessive estrogen production have some of that extra estrogen converted to testosterone which results in virilizing effects such as increase in growth of facial hair.

If you have a small undetected cancer, such as prostate cancer, extra testosterone can cause cancers to grow faster. As others have said, it's nothing to mess around with.

Untitled
    Due to a trauma, I had one of my testicles removed quite a few years ago. At one point, my doctor tested my testosterone level and found it to be quite low. She suggested that I could benefit from weekly injections of the hormone. The idea was not to affect anything sexual or behavioral, although my doctor said that could occur. Okay, I gave it a shot. The stuff was in a syrupy suspension, so it took a higher gauge needle, meaning that the shots were somewhat painful. Long story short, after four months, the ONLY change I noticed was that my facial hair was growing faster and seemed more coarse than before. After telling my doctor, I quit taking the shots. No other changes that I ever noticed.

It was in my forties, I went to a holistic Doctor. testosterone was a bit low of normal. Being a DES kid, my progesterone was at eighty percent, my estrogen was at sixty percent. He related that I was actually a female. He said lets try testosterone and I did. In two weeks it kicked my prostrate up and I had to quit. Later I found out that on DES sons, the body takes estrogen easier than testosterone. That's what synthetic estrogen did to us in the womb. I was a successful male and still am. A DES male that is a man is seventeen percent of the DES population. The rest are LBGT somewhere in that spectrum. Although many males would be inclined to say that I am feminine.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    Quote Originally Posted by Tamara Segunda View Post
    Due to a trauma, I had one of my testicles removed quite a few years ago. At one point, my doctor tested my testosterone level and found it to be quite low. She suggested that I could benefit from weekly injections of the hormone. The idea was not to affect anything sexual or behavioral, although my doctor said that could occur. Okay, I gave it a shot. The stuff was in a syrupy suspension, so it took a higher gauge needle, meaning that the shots were somewhat painful. Long story short, after four months, the ONLY change I noticed was that my facial hair was growing faster and seemed more coarse than before. After telling my doctor, I quit taking the shots. No other changes that I ever noticed.
    This reminds me my of my history .

I was born with an undescended testicle .
    The thinking at that time in 1958 when I was 11 years old was to give testosterone shots to try to get it to descend and the false assumption that all males would want to look as masculine as possible.
    However, it did not work to descend the testicle and it was removed when I was almost 13 tears old to prevent potential cancer.

The problem was, It accelerated my puberty and made my facial hair come in courser than it would have otherwise.
    I remember my mother being very concerned about this.

I have always had a quite passable feminine body except for my facial hair which prevents me from dressing full time.
    It can be very frustrating for me. If it was not for those testosterone injections when I was younger....who knows........?

This point is, do not mess with testosterone!
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 05-09-2015 at 07:22 PM.

Two years ago I was diagnosed with low 'T'. I also had elevated estrogen levels. I was given a series of male hormone shots. If anything my desire to CD seemed to be elevated. This is also what happened to me about thirty five years ago when I had undergone another testosterone treatment.

The Mad Scientist
    Well, by polishing off the T from an already low level, and adding E ... My desire to obsess about clothes evaporated.
    In fact I quit dressing altogether ....naked is the new normal... JK
    Kris

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    I've never had mine checked, but it kicked in early and ended up being the only boy with pubic hair at the start of secondary school ! It never occured to me until I realised I had a small audience waiting for me when I left the showers ! The plus side is your body produces muscle bulk sooner, I was never pushed about for very long !

As for taking extra dosage, even now I have more than I need , when it's finally going to diminish I can't say, it's going to be interesting what happens to my CDing when it does !

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    I think you would find that an increase in T...would actually increase crossdressing desires!...
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah-RT View Post
    That's something i would never have imagined Persephone...
    Considering that one of the reported effects of anti-androgens is a reduced desire to dress it would seem logical that increased androgens would increase that desire.

I did experience that decreased desire and found it surprising. It's not that I don't want to dress at all, but my dressing is falling more into the GG-normal pattern.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Sarah, I was diagnosed with low T and and on a prescription supplement. I can say my desire to dress is no different after the therapy than it was before.

Sarah, like billiejo's post, I too was diagnosed with low T & now take injections every two weeks. I subscribe to what Confucius said. My need to cd has not been effected by my testosterone injection regime. My cd need has only grown in intensity, but due to my domestic situation, lacks in frequency. Have fun , mel

HA!!!! BEING THAT MY MINDSET IS FEMININE, WHY WOULD I EVEN CONSIDER TAKING TESTOSTERONE IN THE FIRST PLACE???????

Molly
    "To thine own self be true"

Mollyanne, there are many reasons to get testosterone injections other than gender. I have much more energy, more athletic minded & the side effects allow me to be more productive , etc... I respect your position, but just thought to let you know that there are other reasons & benefits for testosterone injections. Have fun being feminine, mel