Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Meeting the Parents (The Real Life Version of La Cage/Birdcage)

Meeting the Parents (The Real Life Version of La Cage/Birdcage)

Our son is in a relationship with a very lovely woman. After a year of them moving from dating to sharing an apartment we had never met her parents (and, of course, they had never met us).

A few months ago our son and his GF started planning a chance to meet. They asked me, would I be more comfortable meeting the parents as a man or as a woman? After consideration I though it might be easier if they met me as a guy and told "the kids" of my decision. So "the kids" picked a venue where I'm only known as a woman!

I said, "If we go there, I have to go as Barbara, not as a guy."

"That's fine," they said.

Hmmmm, I was boxed in.

Plans were made and her parents were both invited and told about me (with my consent).

A couple of days before the event her parents suddenly backed out. The excuse was that her father had had a very rough week with lots of travel and would be too tired.

A few weeks later the meeting was rescheduled. This time on more neutral turf, a generic little restaurant pretty much equidistant from everyone.

I though about it and decided that if "the kids" had suggested female before I was going to be myself this time. Our son and his SO both agreed.

The week was a flurry of activity. Our son and his SO briefed my spouse and I on the likes and dislikes her parents have. In many ways, religiously, politically, etc. they are nearly polar opposites to my spouse and I. And, as I found out later, they were briefed as well. So everyone was on their best behavior.

Since the venue was casual, I chose a simple black pleated skirt, a purple and white top with an open U-shaped neckline, and casual 3" wedge sandals.

We were heading for the restaurant when we received a text from our son that he and his SO were caught in traffic and were a few minutes late. We texted back that we would wait somewhere and pulled over about a block away. In a few minutes our son texted that they were ready to arrive so we headed over. The other parents were in front of the restaurant as we pulled up, finding a parking space right in front of the place. As we were parking our son and his SO pulled into a space right across the small street. So we walked up together and introductions were made.

We headed into the restaurant and were seated promptly. Her mother took the lead and soon we were all in very pleasant conversation about topics on the approved lists. Even her father, a rather quiet kind of guy, joined in and, over dinner, we all had a good time!

As we left my spouse initiated a hug of the woman of the other couple and it ended with all of us exchanging hugs. Everyone was relaxed and comfortable.

The young woman walked her parents to their car while our son remained with us. She walked back to where we were because the car she and our son came in was right across the street from ours. She told us that her parents had really enjoyed the evening and looked forward to being with us again, apparently something they repeated to her a few days later as well.

The four of us, our son and his SO, my spouse and I, stood there for a minute. Then someone said, "It's stilll early, want to go to a movie?"

And the four of us headed to the theater.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Wow, tremendous story, thanks for sharing and delighted to hear that everybody had a great time! Hugs, Michelle

That had to make you feel just great. Very happy for you, loved the story.
    Visit Kandi's Land (http://www.kandis-land.com/) daily! Nothing but positive and uplifting posts!
    Pictures and stories of every time out: https://www.flickr.com/photos/131254150@N06/.

Barbara, I glad all turned out well for you first meeting of her parents. I think it shows that while we may be apprehensive of meeting those that we perceive as different, they are just people in the end. I sense that you were a bit apprehensive and so were they!

I do remember that I my mothers later years we had to remember to stay on "safe" subjects, just makes everyone happier!

Hugs, Bria

Very glad it all went well - what a cool hurdle to cross!

Great story, Barbara.

I have three daughters, so may be going through this at some point.

As I read your post, I kept waiting for the 'and then' part. But it didn't happen! Great! So happy for you and your family!
    Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

What a great story Barbara. I have to admit when you introduced this with the birdcage I was expecting, mishaps, thrills, excitement and someone stabbing some toast, but it really sounds like a great evening. I hope works out well for you all.
    Thanks for sharing a great story.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Great story! Thank you for sharing. You had my curiosity as to how it would turn out. Glad it did turn out so well.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    That's wonderful!

Your son is marrying a great woman

A nice story perse, you had me thinking that when your sons SO's parents backed out if might have been to do with yourself, glad to read it was not the case.
    Changing opinions, 1 person at a time

Sarah x

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    I must confess to being a bit disappointed...no hysterics? No flouncing off in a huff? No political careers ruined? Not even a veiled threat of disinheritance?

Hmmph.

I'll just have to be happy for you
    I used to have a short attention spa

Gone to live my life
    Hi Barbara,

It sounds like there was a bit of angst on all parts but it seemed once everyone got comfortable and all was good. I am glad you had the opportunity to present as yourself

Hugs

Isha

Hi Barbara,

Like others reading the title, I wondered where this would go. I'm glad it went so well -- wonderful that her parents accepted you as you. What an affirmation! Thanks so much for sharing this.

Hugs,

claire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Barbara wonderful story and glad it was a great evening.

Great story! Did you break into a rousing rendition of "The Best of Times" at the restaurant?

fabulous, so happy it worked out for you.
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Barbara,

What did you see?

Sidney Poiter "Guess Who's Coming To Dinner"?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

You can be really proud of your son and his choice of a life-time partner. Thanks for sharing.
    Hugs, Carole

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    How nice, Barbara. That your son and his SO seem to be such nice folks! And, that u get on so well.

However, I didn't need to read the story to know how it would likely turn out.

As knowledgeable, charming, and personable as u r, I'd be surprised if u didn't get along with any reasonable person, anywhere. No matter how u were dressed.

I certainly wouldn't be concerned which gender u were presenting as.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

That is a wonderful story, Barbara. But then, how could anyone not love you?

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Knowing your son and his girlfriend quite well, Mimi and I are delighted that the "Meet the parents" session went so well. They're a great couple!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Wow ! What a great story of acceptance! I'm happy for you,and your son and his GF.

Wow! I'm so happy for the...six of you!