Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Workplace Accomodation: Update 1

Gone to live my life

Workplace Accomodation: Update 1

Hi all,

Well it appears that the workplace accommodation will be granted (still a few admin hoops to jump). As such I have started the "education" piece beginning with my new staff. I discussed this with my new supervisor and we agreed that "informing" was a good option so last week, I gathered with all (some already knew) and let them know. We had an honest answer and question period and I educated them on what being TG means to me . . . before anyone asks/comments or hijacks . . . what it means to me to be TG not what TG means. The most interesting question that came up is "How do we refer to you at work when you are dressed like a woman?". My knee jerk reaction in open conversation with others and since I out rank most . . . Ma'am. If it is casual or we are of the same rank . . . to be honest I never thought of it as I have always gone by Isha . . . which surprisingly is not my real name . I am cognizant this could be awkward as most know me by my male name and will be referring to me as a guy four days out the week. Luckily my name works in both genders with a slight variation of spelling Marcelle vice Marcel . . . so problem solved.

As a follow-up to the education pieced, we agreed to go to lunch with me as Marcelle so the "shock and awe" factor would not just be dropped at work one day. We had lunch yesterday and it went quite well. There were a few awkward "Sir/Ma'am" moments so as this was a social setting I just had everyone go with Marcelle (never been a big rank conscious person as I came from the ranks). Some more questions, but it all settled into just polite lunch conversation and naturally . . . work conversation.

All in all a good first step. Just thought I would share.

Hugs

Isha

"It is what it is"
    Isha,

It's wonderful that things are working out so well for u! I hope they continue to do so.

Shaedow

Isha,
    Nice to read your updates.
    I follow them with interest and without comment as I really have nothing constructive to add.
    Times have changed in the services and it is so different from twenty years ago.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Congratulations, Isha. You are awesome.

Ishi, I am glad that things are going well for you. I did four years in the navy so know a little of your world. There was this hard nose chief that came into our unit, a little hard to get a long with, that is till one night we all went to the club (enlisted side). He didn't change but we got to know and understand him better.
    Best Wishes
    Jean
    Last edited by Jean 103; 05-09-2015 at 09:19 AM. Reason: can't spell

I dont know how you do it Isha I dont think I could. I am 20 years Army, and some other things, so I know that environment reasonably well.

I have always had the opinion that some of this is easier for the TS women since they essentially move from one accepted "box" to another accepted "box". Sure, others might struggle with it a little, but at the end of the day, things are again "normal". The person truly transition and are now again in a socially acceptable status, Female or for the FTM's, Male.
    But people get very confused when they dont know what box to place you in! Some times the person presents, and should be treated and addressed, as male, other times as female. "What day is it? Oh Thursday, right .. Good morning Ma'am!"

It will be really interesting to see how this goes for you and how your colleagues and superiors handle it long term. I wish we could hear their honest thoughts as well.

I could see it working out a lot easier if you had different roles and workplaces for the two presentations. One job as your male self and another as your female self. I think people would have an easier time knowing what to expect, every day, without first having to check your clothing, hairdo or nametag.

I commend you for subjecting yourself to this social experiment as it will, if you are successful, help broaden the understanding, or at least acceptance, of gender.

Hugs
    Suzie

It will be interesting to see how your subordinates will perceive your leadership, decision-making, etc. when you are in different modes, and I would guess that's a challenge for you to be very consistent. Otherwise, you may hear "I knew this was a bad idea..."

I'm so happy that you and the Canadian Military are making progress! I imagine that the majority will mess up the first few weeks as far as titles and such until it becomes routine. Kind of like casual Friday, takes a while for something to become a norm.
    I can't thank you enough as you help educate the general population. Hope things get worked out and start running smooth soon!
    Last edited by Heidi Stevens; 05-09-2015 at 08:40 PM.
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

Isha,
    You amaze me and I am so very, very happy for you. Thank you for keeping us all updated and I can not wait to hear about your first day at the office.
    You're my hero.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Well done

I'm very happy for you Isha. It sound like your immediate staff will make the adjustment nicely.

Just for laughs: I think your story could be the basis for a great action movie blockbuster. Picture it. The protagonist is a veteran special forces type who has just come out as TG. Re-assigned to an out of the way intelligence office, she makes the adjustment to working as a woman amidst great skepticism and mild harassment. Suddenly the place is taken over by terrorist who kill all the men but keep the women hostage. Our heroine must lead the fight before the terrorist break into the computer servers to steal all the latest encryption codes. She escapes captivity and takes out the terrorists one by one, all the while keeping her make up in an impeccable state.

Seriously, though, you've done an amazing thing in helping people understand more about our special community. Kudos!

Bridget
    Your friendly, neighborhood cyber CD.

I find it awesome that your HR department has your back this way.

How you work stuff out with your co-workers couldn't happen without it.

<3

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Wow! I can't imagine doing what you're doing, Isha! (I'm too self-conscious, and don't feel a need to anyway) Sounds like people at your work are being really good about the whole thing. And you are doing a great job of enlightening them! Best wishes!

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    You'd better be writing a book... It'll be a best seller!!!
    Call me Donna, please

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    You are such a trailblazer!

congrats to you isha and the very best of luck.
    so far sounds like a very smooth transition...
    paula

I have been following this with amazement at the support you have been getting; I never imagined this kind of thing happening in a military environment. During 'Nam (my era), US military service was viewed by a great many people as tantamount to a death sentence; tens of thousands of Americans fled from the draft to Canada, which had the good sense to ignore that foolishness. This is not in any way to demean the contribution and the memory of those who served back then.
    To witness this kind of progress from a military organization is awe-inspiring and gives me great hope for the future of us all. Thank you so much, both for your service and for your inspiration.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

I still don't see this happening in the American military. Who knows, might be a bunch of Americans running to Canada again!?
    Genny B
    Dani (Genny before Transition)
    All Girl!

Girl, you are so awesome!

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

A cute Minnesota girl!! Natalie cupcake's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Julie Denier View Post
    You are such a trailblazer!
    Julie you said it all!!
    Good luck Isha!!

That's so great, Isha! I'm so happy for you. Thank you so much for sharing and helping make it better for the rest of us. <3

Wow, I can't believe the support you're getting and the difference you're making, how inspiring!

Hi Isha,

I want to thank you for doing what you are doing. You are so inspirational, and so encouraging. I have even told a good friend of mine (another story someday) of your coming out at your work place ... in military! Oh man, I know it is improper to say that, but you really have balls.

I wish I could have the courage to do that someday at my work. Hmmm ...

Leslie

Banned Read only
    Isha,
    Congratulations in your efforts to secure the rights of the TG community ! Do we still call you Isha or Ma'am ?

I have a question , it can't have gone 100% in your favour so what were the objections raised against the proposal and how did you deal with them ?
    Also what has been the response from GGs in your unit ?

Gone to live my life
    Hi all,

Thanks very much for all your kind comments. While things on the surface are going well, I have no doubt that I am not seeing or hearing everything. I think some people who say "Hey . . . no big deal and I support your right to be who you are", well . . . let's just say they are towing the politically correct line. Remember, this is the military, I am a senior officer and to be honest, nobody wants to jeopardize their career over something like this. But I am also a pragmatist of sorts in that I am sure those people are the minority vice majority and I will cross that bridge when I get to it. All this to say . . . it will not be all sunshine and lollipops for me and I am sure for some people in the section and in the building my ability to play my "man card" has ceased. Still, that is their baggage to port not mine.

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    It will be interesting to see how your subordinates will perceive your leadership, decision-making, etc. when you are in different modes, and I would guess that's a challenge for you to be very consistent. Otherwise, you may hear "I knew this was a bad idea..."
    I wonder about that as well Nicole. However, my last load station was far more Alpha Male oriented than my new load station and while those at my last job may not have seen me dressed at work (some have met me off hours though) they all knew and I am sure it was in the back of their minds while I was giving direction . . . Hmm, he dresses like a woman sometimes. I wonder what that looks like? Even then, I did not detect much of a difference in reaction or ability to follow direction. But I guess wondering what that looks like vice actually seeing it . . . could evoke a different reaction, I suppose. Time will tell.

Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    I find it awesome that your HR department has your back this way.
    Hi MM,

Luckily we have policy in the CAF which protects the rights of TG to serve in uniform so policy wins out over personal belief. Are all those who have to enforce the policy in complete agreement with what I am doing? Probably not. But then again . . . their baggage not mine. So long as they do what the policy says they have to do I am happy with that.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    ... I have a question , it can't have gone 100% in your favour so what were the objections raised against the proposal and how did you deal with them ?
    Also what has been the response from GGs in your unit ?
    Hi Teresa,

Yup . . . there were some objections from various folks mainly cis women who were concerned about bathroom use. I met with all of them to address those concerns. I explained, in the Vanilla world when I am out and about, I use the bathroom of the gender I am presenting which was a bit disconcerting for some. Now I am cognizant of the fact this will be different than me in a crowded mall using the ladies room to do my business and carry on as I am one of many strangers all converging on the facilities. However, this is the workplace and as I am not transitioning (in the medical sense ) and will be presenting male four days of the week, I understand this could be awkward. Fortunately, there are single toilet restrooms on the lower floor which will be made available to me for those days I am dressed female. Now, I know some might think but you have the right to use the bathroom of the gender you are presenting and, you would be right. However, sometimes you have to pick the "hill you want to die on" and this is not one. Besides, it is the right/polite thing to do for now and it did alleviate any concern. For those who objected based on not agreeing with my chosen lifestyle, I went to each one and indicated you may not like it but it is my right so let's agree to work civilly and we don't have to go out for coffee any time soon . May seem a bit harsh and in your face but to be honest, my lifestyle does no harm to them while their beliefs can do harm to my own sense of being.

Again thanks all and I will keep the updates coming as things progress. I am still between jobs and don't assume my new role until mid July at which time the workplace accommodation should be fully ensconced for my first Friday at work.

Hugs

Isha
    Last edited by Marcelle; 05-10-2015 at 05:54 AM.