Thread: Photo Shoots - your thoughts?

Photo Shoots - your thoughts?

Looking on the web I can see dressing services, CD and TG support places that allow you to be yourself without the worry of people seeing you / being found out etc.

I can just ask if any of you ladies have fancied a proper studio photo shoot session? Properly lit studio lighting, photoshopping etc. Completely confidential with the aid of a make up artist. Would it be a service anyone would be interested in?

I'm asking because I am a pro portrait photographer and whilst I'm not going to reveal details of who / where etc as I don't want to break forum rules (if there was interest then I'd obviously pay for advertising and then do so) I'm more interested in if you feel there is a need for it. If so would the studio need to be somewhere out of town? Would you feel better if the photographer (which would be me) be also dressed at the time? The make artist would be a GG but a pro non the less.

Please let me know your thoughts. Have you had one? Were you treated with respect?

(Moderators I hope I haven't broken any rules posting this - if so please remove)

Anna, your idea is a good one,I know there would be girls that would love the time being able to do what your talking about, since i had a couple of pro makeups, and they take a picture but to do a full photo session really would be great. Best to you hugs.
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

Silver Member
    Anna

Are you kidding? That's a great idea! There are services in a lot of big towns, but it is probably a way under served market. Advertising could be a challenge for locals if you are not in a destination town. You may want an "alter ego" company if you want to also do mundane shoots. Really good website and search engine will be very key. You may pick up clientele from neighboring towns.

I have a friend that left corporate America to be a photographer. It's taken about 4 years to really get established. You have to expand your market to get the volume. I am not out to this friend, but if I were I would go for a photo shoot like 4 times a year. What could possibly be a better ego boost for a CD?

Thanks both. Yes, it is a serious consideration now. I would build a new website for it to keep it apart from my other business with different contact details and as far as getting prominent on the web it shouldn't be too difficult to do as there are certainly in my little corner of the world nothing available I would want to keep absolute discretion for everyone too. Just need a few more replies to gauge a few more opinions.

Great idea and I only hope you are near North Carolina. We have so few in driving range. Please, PM me the location and contact information when you get up and running.

You may want to look at other dressing sites to see what options they offer. That way you can see what is already out there and adjust your talents to offer the best services. Good luck.

PS: I was treated with respect, but the quality of the photographs sucked and to have someone like yourself taking the pictures would be heads and shoulders above the rest.
    Last edited by Amy Lynn3; 05-20-2015 at 09:17 AM.

Please be near me please be near me please be near me ><;

Crossdresser-At-Large BillieAnneJean's Avatar
    See TGMiss.com.
    I had a great photoshoot there.
    I am still glowing about it three years later.

thanks all.....
    Unfortunately..........I'm in the UK
    I've had a look at TGMiss though - some interesting photographs, I wouldn't be going down the fantasy route though, it's more full make over and dressed to impress shoot. Making the most of what you've got with correct lighting, posing etc.
    I'm going to get dressed up, get the camera on a tripod, fire off a few remotely and edit a few shots as soon as I can and post them in the images section. Could be next week though - keep you all informed!

Re: the photographer's mode of dress... i'd prefer you dress as a photographer, whatever that means to you. If I set up an appointment I'm looking for your best work, not for a buddy.

I would expect any photographer to be discreet and so discretion wouldn't be a differentiator for you, you'd have to be differentiated by actively courting the crossdressing community and having a great portfolio. Really, no different than being an industrial photographer or wedding photographer, etc.

I don't think you'd have to be out of town, you'd just need to provide a decent dressing room and time. Maybe you could team up with someone who can act as an assistant dresser to help the gurls into their outfits and speed things along. I don't know exactly why, but my instinct is that the photographer shouldn't be doing that. I want you concentrating on lighting ratios and f-stops and stuff.

Just my tuppence.

Yes there are other services out there that do what you describe.

You would still gt a good clientele as long as you supply different grades of photo shoot.
    By that I mean minimal production and cost, or a high end photo shoot for those that want more polish in their portraits.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I work for one of those company's....doing the makeovers for the photo shoots and all the girls are treated with respect and is vert=y discreet ...if you are in a busy urban area you have a larger audience....but still once summer comes...girls go running to the closet and it slows ....it can be a good business though if you do things right ...but keep in mind just like this forum girls come...and girls go....people try this ( business)....and fail all the time....i think word of mouth is the best form of advertising........ that is why companies like glamor boutique, femme fever,suddenly femme,and janets closet are still here
    Last edited by Adriana Moretti; 05-20-2015 at 10:56 PM.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm aware of a number of similar services by folks I know offered in both LA and Vegas. It's a tough business to make a living at.

Keep your day job and make it a paying hobby and you'll probably do fine!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

I'm not planning to change the day job - I'm busy - very busy with my photography. The idea with being dressed myself was to put whoever I'm with more at ease. Doesn't have to be the case. In respect of concentrating on what I do, if it's not right, you don't buy anything. So you are always going to get good results.
    I'm already out of town JennyCD just thought it may help some people who are very in the closet and quite shy about things.

I have had mixed results. On the one hand, during Southern Comfort Conference several years ago, I had a makeover and a brief photo shoot that went exceptionally well. But recently I had a makeover and photos shot that did not go well at all. I was provided excellent service for the money I paid, but the results were entirely unsatisfying. I discovered this was because I am better at applying my own makeup than anyone else. I know what works. From now on, if I do a photo shoot (and I will, I'm sure), I will do my own makeup and get prepped at home.
    Alex Forbes
    Faux Femme
    Flickr Page

As a semi-pro myself I made a poor attempt to start a photo service back when I started dressing. It failed miserably because I know nothing about marketing. It sound like you already have a solid business so expanding you clientele shouldn't be too difficult. How much you can grow it will depend on how far you are from a larger urban center with more potential clients.

I know if I were to seek a professional shoot the most important consideration would be the quality of your portfolio. If you make your clients look and feel beautiful then they will come wherever you are and tell all of their friends.

Bridget
    Your friendly, neighborhood cyber CD.

Banned Read only
    AnneMarie,
    I depends where you live in the UK, I was a professional photographer for thirty years and where I was based I certainly wouldn't have made a living from makeover pictures .
    As most members are across the Atlantic the best you can do is educate members to use a decent camera with the correct lens and try and get away from selfies on the smartphone . Digital is so much easier because the lighting can be manipulated more afterwards. I worked with film mainly on a Bronica SQAi and getting the lighting right was far more critical .
    My avatar was taken originally on the Bronica with a 150mm lens with a four light setup, having a full colour darkroom was great because I could take and print what I liked !

Here's a GG who does this in the DC Area

http://makeoverswithelizabethtaylor.com/
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Quote Originally Posted by Teresa View Post
    AnneMarie,
    I depends where you live in the UK, I was a professional photographer for thirty years and where I was based I certainly wouldn't have made a living from makeover pictures .
    As most members are across the Atlantic the best you can do is educate members to use a decent camera with the correct lens and try and get away from selfies on the smartphone . Digital is so much easier because the lighting can be manipulated more afterwards. I worked with film mainly on a Bronica SQAi and getting the lighting right was far more critical .
    My avatar was taken originally on the Bronica with a 150mm lens with a four light setup, having a full colour darkroom was great because I could take and print what I liked !
    Hi Teresa,
    Nice to speak to someone who can rely on what the camera takes and not what you can do afterwards to rescue a bad image. I've seen some terrible photography which just doesn't do anyone any justice. I'm aiming my shoots to have good posing, good lighting, with minimum work on the computer. This wouldn't be my main business as I'm shooting weddings and portraits anyway and making a good living from it. Just think look at what's out there that there is a market for something of good quality.