I am always on the lookout for places to go as Cynthia, So I was intrigued when I heard about The Leather Archives and Museum, at 6418 Greenwood on the north side of Chicago. (www.leatherarchives.org)
Taking an early quit, I underdressed in our office restroom (blah) then drove up to Rogers Park. I finished dressing in the car (double blah) and walked down the residential street to the Museum.in blonde wig, red turtleneck, leather skirt, and heels.
The man who answered my ring gave me a smile and a flattering up-and-down look, which I chose to interpret as “Nice looking woman”, rather than “Who is this nut?” I had the feeling that the staff did not get too many fully turned-out CD visitors, but they were very welcoming. No one in the Museum, staff or guests, gave me a second glance.
The Museum features art by several artists in the gay leather culture, principally Eitenne, and a Guest Artist Gallery, lightheartedly referred to as “G.A.G”. There were displays of leather clothing, an exhibit on women in leather, and displays describing shabari, Betty Page, and other fetish, including transgender. I was drawn to the Dungeon. This display (in the buildings former boiler room) contained a spanking bench, stocks, whips, handcuffs, and leather restraints. I would have loved to have tried some of them out, but they were only for display, alas.
The Leather Museum and Archive is open Thursdays through Sundays. Admission is $10, which is a fair price for a place where one can be dressed with no hassles.