Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: How long will the current Transgender Fad last ?????

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Stacy B summed it up pretty well I think.

It is not a fad, but a progression, like everything two steps forward and one step back.
    I expect the back step will happen shortly.
    A period of adjustment and acceptance and then another two steps forward.
    There was a political ploy that used the same principle some years ago.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Aspiring Member
    I dunno. I think we are right smack in the middle of some real societal paradigm shift. Even if it dies down I don't think the world will be the same afterwards.

Paula,

I have to agree with you. As soon as parents deal with their children's gender. the better for the child.... eventually we may even become a thing of the past....

hugs

niki
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

Hugs, msniki48
    Blog
    http://nikishomeawayfromhome.spaces....x?sa=764853634

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    It is not a fad, but a progression, like everything two steps forward and one step back.
    I expect the back step will happen shortly.
    A period of adjustment and acceptance and then another two steps forward.
    There was a political ploy that used the same principle some years ago.
    I look at it as a series of rising waves on a graph, think the stock market over years, generally trending up with more and more being in view each time. When the negative response comes, the bottom should be just a little higher than the last time. The next crest should be higher as well, it's just so hard to figure out what the time range is on these waves.

Quote Originally Posted by Jennie-cd View Post
    I think the question of if this is a fad or a cultural change depends on us. We have some spotlight now -- if we scatter like roaches, it will fade away and we'll have lost the opportunity. If we treat it the way the gay/lesbian culture did, we can use it as a springboard to new cultural understanding. The odd thing is all we have to do to take advantage of it is to do the thing we keep saying we wish for -- get out there and be normal.

How long will it last? Depends -- there's going to be a scandal somewhere sometime: a TG mass murderer or paedophile or (shudder) investment banker. Finger-pointing will start, intolerant people will say this is what comes of welcoming Them into polite society, the J. Edgar Hoover cartoons will come out. If we haven't achieved society's respect by then it will be over. If we have crossed the threshold we can survive it.
    Jennie has a good point there. Something has been offered up and we can take advantage of the opportunity or not. With luck there will be many others emboldened by the positive notes and when the negative examples rise up, they can be shown to be isolated examples, not the general population. Regardless, we aren't going the way of the "Pet Rock", now that was a real fad.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    I suspect the only "fad" is among television writers, journalists, and click-bait buzzfeed bloggers.

Nobody decides to become trans, just like nobody decides to be gay. You were always that way. Maybe it took you a while to untangle the mess in your head, or whatever but still ... we were always here, we will always be here and if increased exposure in pop culture means that fewer of us will cower alone in our closets, convinced that we must be awful people with no place in this world, then great!

There will be a symmetrical backlash.

Polling (in the US anyhow) seems to have made it clear that gay rights issues are no longer a reliable tool for dividing (and conquering) the electorate. Sure there are a few hate mongers out there still doing their thing, but they haven't got the traction anymore, because the public, by and large, doesn't buy it. Quite a large percentage are actually offended by it (yay progress).

Be aware though, that the extremely well funded practitioners of hateology need a new boogeyman. If they don't find new ones, they go out of business.

hint: they're not going out if business, and we're a real visible soft target.

brace yourselves, the moral majority and fox news are coming.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Quote Originally Posted by LilSissyStevie View Post
    The Romans called it panem et circenses - bread and circuses. Take your EBT down to the quickie mart and get some cheese doodles and watch TGs in ring number 3.
    You're somewhat correct, but remember that at the end of the circus the persons in power decided the fate of the players. They were often influenced by the cheers or boos of the rabble.

For those in other places, "EBT" is a debit card for welfare recipients.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by docrobbysherry View Post

I asked her why would anyone pretend to be trans?
    why do people use words or sayings of ethnic groups? why do people put on accents? I can see how it would become "hip" in certain groups to "drag out". The people in Clockwork Orange come to mind with the makeup. Remember Ghetto Pimp looks in the 70's?

I do think we are the current fad right now. Like when people used to say "my brother is gay" like that made them privy to inside information
    Last edited by Rianna Humble; 05-27-2015 at 06:05 PM. Reason: Sorry, English only, no exceptions
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Eryn, Did something change?

This is nothing new, by the way, TG/TSs have been in the news since like forever. Does anybody remember Renée Richards? People act like this Bruce Jenner thing is some great breakthrough. Renée Richards came on the scene 40 years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by Beverley Sims View Post
    Agreed. As trans folk, I do think we benefit from the acceptance of homosexuals, and their (our) struggles over the last 50+ years.

I often wonder why the fashion industry doesnt court us more. Far more sales and fewer returns.
    it's dumb to be racist.
    Can't we just all agree to hate stupid people instead? There are stupid people in all races, creeds, and faiths. It's a veritable rainbow of stupid out there, AND they don't know they are stupid. What could be more fair?

I'm a conservative politically. Believe in the constitution of the United States and the bill of rights. I believe that that gives me the right to dress any way I please as long it doesn't break the laws of exposure. When some one asks me about my style I answer with the question, "Why, am I breaking the law?"

I came to this forum because I wanted to have some input and discussion about Cross Dressing and I have not been judgmental of anyone. Please don't judge me.

I am not cross gender or trans gender and find no argument with those who are. I just like to dress stylishly and like to be considered a beautiful man.

Rhanda
    Last edited by Rhanda; 05-27-2015 at 03:44 PM.

A fad in terms of subjects regarding TG issues being front page news.... a little while. There have been some cracks in the glass ceiling of transgender. Some schools are now recognizing TG kids and giving them certain options of dress and use of restrooms. Some schools are now teaching TG issues, talking about the different gender variety of people, that not all fall directly into the male/female binary. Then of course we have people like Bruce Jenner who are making headlines.

Whether there is any real truth to this.... but I imagine that a lot of us who are in the transgender camp feel it is the LBGt. Now it appears that the T may start to become capitalized as well.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Banned Read only
    KDW:

No, it isn't a fad. It is just a spike of information until the next spike comes along. The same thing happened during the Civil Rights Movement and the Women's Movement, for example. We went through periods of high visibility much like what we have seen with the last few years for the Gay Rights Movement. No one asked them if it was just a fad and we shouldn't either...

DeeAnn

Platinum Member
    Fad might be a bit trivializing. Pet rocks were a fad. Awareness and media attention to transgendered people really si something more....akin to the movements sited above. So long as we are marginalized by a significant part of society, and so long as some parts of society find us scandalous or titillating, we will still garner media sensational attention. As we are more tolerated in the mainstream, that sensationalism will fade.

Remember when it was a big deal that Elton John was gay? Now any number of celebrities are openly gay and it's hardly newsworthy. We can hope for the same.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Quote Originally Posted by LilSissyStevie View Post
    Eryn, Did something change?

This is nothing new, by the way, TG/TSs have been in the news since like forever. Does anybody remember Renée Richards? People act like this Bruce Jenner thing is some great breakthrough. Renée Richards came on the scene 40 years ago.
    Renee Richards was an relatively obscure doctor and talented amateur tennis player who transitioned. The only reason that the media took notice is because she demanded to be allowed to play tennis as a woman and ultimately won that right in court. She wasn't in the news before that controversy. She is viewed as a transwoman who played sports.

Bruce Jenner was already well known to the public before trangenderism entered the picture. He's an athlete that happens to be transgendered.

Richards herself acknowledges this difference:

Richards, now 80, also said that the former Olympian's status as a television personality made his situation far different from the one she experienced. "You have to realize that somebody who is an entertainer, or even like with Bruce Jenner – a person like that can have a sex change and be just as accepted as an entertainer or a TV star or something like that afterwards," she said. "But if you're talking about someone who's a surgeon or a physician of any kind and bringing your child to see that person, it's a whole different matter."
    http://www.people.com/article/renee-...nder-interview
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Banned Read only
    He's an athlete that happens to be transgendered.
    Pet peeve: It's transgender, never, ever, transgendered.

I'm not transgendered. I'm a transgender woman.
    My friend Roger isn't gayed. He's a gay man.
    My friend Deidre isn't lesbianed. She's a lesbian woman. (Um, ok, in this case it's possible Deidre is, in fact, lesbianed! If you'd ever met her, you'd understand...)

Sorry for the grammar police moment.

you say potato I say tomato!

A fad is a fad. Something that has been around is not going to change. Only people's opinions.

Here's an interesting site from a group that wants to keep the "fad" going -- they're trying to map out next steps after marriage equality.

www.shareourtomorrow.org

"Our Tomorrow is a campaign by more than 100 LGBTQ nonprofit organizations and foundations to engage our community in a conversation about our future. Your ideas will help build a bigger, bolder movement that leaves no one behind."

I got a pointer to it from an email from the National Center for Transgender Equality, which I don't think I belong to, but probably got on their list via the Human Rights Campaign when I checked "yes" on their "Do you consider yourself transgender?" box. Anyway -- maybe some would like to go add their hopes and fears to the list...

I do not think transgender is a fad. In fact, the moral majority has really changed their view by the information that has come out. I do think many believe that the governments should not be involved on who gets married. It's the people. Sure there is a few hate mongers in society. By and large many people let us do our thing as long as we do not bother others on purpose. Like stuffing it in their face. We mind our own business and people seem okay with that. I do think that it will come yet, for many not in time. We all should support the LBGT in all of us. Although many of us are heterosexuals. We should all support it.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Read only
    i remember reading about renee richards and the hardships she endured while transitioning,thats what made up my mind not to transition. then i later found out after puberty that i relate towards hermorphidites,for im both a male and female,took me yrs to find a balance for there isnt much literature on this,for most hermorphidites hide this part of themselves. all i can say is be the best person you can be.

Has anyone considered that we are actually flavour of the month?
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    Pet peeve: It's transgender, never, ever, transgendered.

I'm not transgendered. I'm a transgender woman.
    My friend Roger isn't gayed. He's a gay man.
    My friend Deidre isn't lesbianed. She's a lesbian woman. (Um, ok, in this case it's possible Deidre is, in fact, lesbianed! If you'd ever met her, you'd understand...)

Sorry for the grammar police moment.
    Thank You! I have often thought about pointing this out, but never got around to it.

I would also posit that adding "ed" to a verb signals past tense. However, transgender is not a verb. It is an adjective and transgenderism is a noun. Anyway, no verbs in the house...

DeeAnn

Quote Originally Posted by Meg East View Post
    TG & CD has become so popular the New York Times ran a section called "Transgender Today".

All this attention is making me feel uneasy.
    It is all good! Just go with it! And...Please contribute what you are willing to educate people about us..

An interesting comment; when i came out to my lesbian cousin 3 months ago, her comment was "Oh, that's very popular now!"
    Just think; when this fad (if it is a fad) more or less runs it's course, we will become boring; too ho-hum to elicit any comments or reactions - I can hardly wait!
    Last edited by donnalee; 06-01-2015 at 04:31 AM.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)