Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing Mistakes How Many Have YOU Made ??

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar

Crossdressing Mistakes How Many Have YOU Made ??

In YOUR crossdressing journey & experience how many mistakes have you made ? What lessons did you learn along the way? Sometimes you can waste your money, I try to chalk that up to a lesson learned. We all learn from our mistakes, what did YOU learn? What mistakes have YOU made? Your answer does not have to be tied into money sank into crossdressing, it could be something you learned in public, something you learned later in life you wish you knew or did earlier...What did you learn? What mistakes did you make?

Here is what I learned...or some of my mistakes..I'm sure I will think of more, what are YOURS ?
    . Pink lipstick is not for me, neither is blonde wigs
    . Covering your brows and drawing them is not my specialty nor do i need to
    .3 to 4 1/2 inch heels are perfect for the real world more like 3 ish ..no need for anything over 5
    . Long acrylic nails can make it difficult to apply your makeup with your fingers especially in the under eye area or TEXT for that matter.
    . Wig swatches may look different in person that goes for size charts too
    . Makeup products do not work the same for everyone . What works for one girl may not work for me
    . When walking in heels watch out for potholes

I'm sure I will think of more...how bout you? What mistakes have you made? What have you learned from them?
    Last edited by Adriana Moretti; 05-31-2015 at 09:38 PM.

My only mistake was buying too many pink dresses in thrift stores at the age of 50 and thinking that they would blend when I was out in public:-)

Jaye
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

Gold Member
    Well the dress I recently bought on line from Romans, looked great in the catalog.
    I got it, put it on, and did not think to well of it.
    Now that I have worn it around the house a few times, I think it will
    go into the goodwill bag. I just do not like the way it sits on me.
    It did not cost that much since I had a coupon that gave me free shipping
    and 30% off the price. I think it was about $ 20.00 for it.
    That is the only one I can think of for now.
    Rader

A 'cleavage creator' is fine for a short term use, like a photo shoot, but very uncomfortable after a few hours. I get better value from a push up bra and some silicone 'chicken cutlet' pads, and the latter is a LOT more comfortable!

Never use a cotton ball or cotton pad for applying foundation - the cotton fibers inevitably come off and spoil the makeup.

No matter how cute the wig is, if it's too tight, don't buy it! A standard size cap will never be comfortable on a large sized head. Keep shopping, and don't 'try to make it fit'.

Don't get 15 miles down the road and realize that your bra and forms are still sitting on the bed at home.

Mimi said "Let's go for it!" and we had a great day shopping and dining out even being somewhat flat-chested.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

California Dreamin Michaelasfun's Avatar
    Then there's the old "buying breast forms that are way the heck too big" problem...modeled 'em, saw how outlandish I looked, and returned 'em for about half that size and things looked more sensible..
    Michaela

If you choose not to decide, you still have made a choice. - Rush

I have made a lot of mistakes but my wife has helped me learn from most of them like how to apply makeup and which colors work best for me
    Some that I learned on my own are. Not all shoes fit the same and moisturizer is a must for shaved legs

Silver Member
    Oh lord we don't have enough room to iterate all of them and I was lucky enough to have sisters that taught me a lot of things.

Don't force yourself into clothes that are just not going to fit. If you are a 16 that size 12 is not going to fit.
    Shoes and bras are the same in that if it is uncomfortable when you put it on it will hurt terribly 3 hours latter.
    Natural looking wigs that match your real hair may not be your best fem look. Some of us look better in other colors.
    Speaking of colors learn what colors look good on you. The seasons of color works.

Do you mean yesterday or in the last week?

One thing I do know is, dark wigs are not suitable for me as I am of fair complexion.

I was naturally honey blonde and a slim build when I was eighteen.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Gosh. my mistakes, too many to mention - most I have forgotten. But here's a few:

- put makeup on without enough light - so when other people see that bronzer it looks pretty obvious I'm a dude. Got made pretty quick by two people.
    - Buying clothing "too young" for me.
    - Putting on fake nails before doing makeup or getting dressed - big mistake.
    - Putting too much glue on nails - took an hour to pry them off - glad I was not in a hurry - one dot is enough!
    - Not carrying some extra fingernail glue in my purse.

- Parking in a controlled lot that was not well marked. Had a boot put on my car and en-femme had to get back
    to my hotel room to get a credit card to pay the $300 to get the boot taken off.
    Thankfully it was on Halloween and they didn't think too much of it.
    But had I not been wearing makeup and women's clothing I would have protested a bit more.

I tend to even make "mistakes" work for me and use them as learning experiences.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Just some that popped into my head.

1. Like Eryn, don't find out until you are almost at your destination, that you forgot to bring your purse, since you are not used to carrying one.

2. Remember to transfer your wallet to your purse, since that will contain your drivers license in case you get pulled over.

3. Remember that your bug out bag should contain sneakers.

4. When filling in my eyebrows, less is more.

5. Matching tops to bottoms is still a major challenge - being somewhat colorblind does not help either.

6. Getting the wig just right is a major pain.

7. Cobblestones are the enemy.

I've made lots of mistakes, and learned several things from my crossdressing experiences. Perhaps the best lesson I learned was to take it as it comes, not let it consume you, and enjoy.

Karen

I don't make mistakes, I just gain experience.

People have mentioned cobblestones and potholes, but it's also important to be aware of manhole covers -- two things about them: (1) they have holes in them that are larger than the typical high heel is wide, (2) wet steel is slippery.

My other bit of experience is rather hard to put delicately but a potentially important safety tip -- if you wear a corset laced tight your insides are compressed. And things inside your insides are also compressed. Or perhaps "pressurized" is the more correct word. To steal the punchline of an old joke, the corset might not make you feel any younger, but you may do a childish thing... (Not a blue joke - more of a brown one, if you follow. Eeew)

OMG - I have made so many mistakes over the years! They usually come in a few categories: bad makeup, faulty tuck job or wardrobe malfunction.

Most recently I wore a generally comfortable pair of flats out only to realize that the left one chaffed my ankle until it bled. That's the difference between wearing them around the house and trying to walk 2-3 fast miles in them!

Shoes, a woman's passion! debbeelee1's Avatar
    I thought I made a crossdressing mistake once, but I was mistaken!

Seriously, mistakes are learning experiences. Last winter, I learned the hard way not to go out in open toed shoes when there's a snowstorm coming!
    Hugs and kisses,
    Debbee!

Quote Originally Posted by Kate Simmons View Post
    I tend to even make "mistakes" work for me and use them as learning experiences.
    Oh, Kate, don't we all! Hmmm, where do I start ...

1. Always check that your boobs are in the right place (I've had one drop on several occasions)

2. Keep your keys in your purse (I didn't and drove off without my purse ...)

3. Make sure your pants are zipped up when coming our of the dressing room ("Ma'am, you might want to close your zipper...")

I'm sure there are others ... things my mother never taught me ....
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Quote Originally Posted by GretchenJ View Post
    1. Like Eryn, don't find out until you are almost at your destination, that you forgot to bring your purse, since you are not used to carrying one.
    This! And especially don't realize you've forgotten your purse after you've entered a parking garage and realize you have absolutely no money to pay for the exit ticket. Luckily, my kids scraped up $1.25 in coins from the car which was enough to ransom the vehicle and let us leave!

This was in my early days before 24x7 living and I wasn't used to grabbing my purse on the way out.

Banned Read only
    One thing I've learned from experience or the experience of my daughter is to carry two sets of car keys. When my daughter was a new driver she locked her car keys in the car twice. I had to get someone to take me to her with a second set of keys. Whenever I am out en femme I make sure I have a second key on a chain around my neck. The last thing I would ever want to happen is to call home for a another key to be driven to me. I'd probably walk home before that, but, to walk home ten to fifteen miles? In heels? That goes along with having a change of male clothing in the truck.

I've bagged the idea of wearing fake nails. First, I can never find nails for my thumbs. I've noticed women generally do not have super long nails. Most of the women I observe have nails that come to just the end of their finger tips. Functionality. They're a pain to put on and take off. Just wear attractive clothes, look stylish and attention will be drawn away from your hands.

I'm currently with a group in Tibet and the other day a few towns back I was shopping with one of the guys and I spotted a very nice patent fucshia purse, it was absolutely priceless in my books. I didn't have a way to ditch him so I decided to come back for it later. Our group had dinner and when I returned the shop was closed. I decided to wake up early and go to the shop in the morning before we moved on to our next town. I waited for an hour and a half and although most of the other shops opened this one remained closed. Now I cant stop thinking about that purse and wish I would have bought it when I saw it and said it was for my gf or whatever would have worked. Theres many other times I've seen things in stores and decided to come back for them only to find that they're gone when I return.

Banned Read only
    my biggest mistake was not fully opening up to my wife and wasted a lot of yrs that i could be cheryl

Actually, I avoided a lot of potential mistakes by observing my now ex wife for several years while we were married.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Another mistake I learned from. Never assume you'll always be able to keep your purse with you.

I went to a dance at an Anime convention as Ceera - the very first time I had ever been fully en-femme in downtown. I was day-tripping the convention, because it was in my home town. So that evening I drove to the convention hotel, parked in a parking garage two blocks away and went in, with my ID, money and car keys in a small purse, along with some stuff for repairing my makeup or nails if I needed it. I was wearing a nice blouse and skirt which of course had no pockets. When I got to the dance, they were announcing a strict 'no purses or bags in the dance ballroom' policy. They expected everyone to leave their stuff in their hotel room, and only need to carry their hotel keycard. The line to get in was half a block long, literally, so there was no way I was going back to my car to leave my purse there! Even if I did, what was I to do with my car key? I had to tuck my driver's license, credit cards and keyring down the front of my waist cincher, and leave the rest unattended in my purse, wrapping the purse in my sweater and leaving it under a table near the door! Fortunately, no one messed with it.

So, lesson learned. When I am out and about, the most essential things I need - my ID, money, one credit card, and a spare key for my car - go onto a tiny pass case that at worst I can tuck into my bra between my boobs! And I often just leave the purse and my house keys locked in the car and in an old shopping bag in the pile of re-usable bags behind my seat. I also got a 'hidden pocket' that I can wear around my waist under my skirt, or on its lanyard around my neck and shoulder but under my blouse, if I want to keep my cell phone with me, or don't want to reach into my cleavage to pay for my drinks.

Mmm made a lot of mistakes over the years...

1. Valves need to be purged. Closets should be left alone.
    2. Try on things before I buy. What looks good on that size 0 model doesn't always translate to women my size.
    3. Steps, 4" heels and a floor length gown = a potential problem and trip to the E.R. unless there's lots of practice before a public appearance.
    4. Check your form's adhesive before going in a pool or hot tub. Didn't realize the actually FLOAT !
    5. Hot tubs and makeup make for a messy face....
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Mistakes, wow, too many to count. Sizes; women's clothing doesn't follow any set of numbers. And don't even get me started on half sizes. It's a crap shoot every time I order a new item whether it will fit, be too small, or too big, or made like garbage, and that seems to apply to all merchants. Shoes are a particular problem. Some large sizes, say, 14-17 are actually made to men's size feet. Pleaser has some of those. But Pleaser also has the 'Funtasma' line which is strict woman size, and runs small at that. So you can't even rely on one brand to remain constant.

Throwing away something, thinking I could replace it. Nope. Woman's clothes are style/year specific. What you buy this year may not be made again for 20 years. See it, buy it, get extras because you probably won't see it again, ever.

Wash new items ALONE with a color catcher sheet. I've never had a men's garment where the colors ran. But I recently ruined a couple of pairs of panties because of a new red pair that ran, leaving ugly large spots on the light blue ones. Won't make that mistake again.

Wishful thinking won't make that one size too small cute dress expand to fit a bigger body, and I'm not going to magically lose weight. Buy the right size or don't buy it in the hopes of 'someday it will fit'.

Put bras, stockings, panties all in their separate lingerie bags. They make special bra holders, one for each bra. Otherwise you'll wind up stretching your bra straps out prematurely. Oh, and hang bras to dry by the band over a towel over the shower rod. also you don't have to wash your bras after each wearing. Lots of girls don't. They last much longer that way. Oh and bras? Find one that fits perfect and get a bunch of them. For anyone else who's barrel chested, this one fits me perfectly: http://www.shopnational.com/p/2-Pack...hole-Bras?trk=
    That's all I can think of off the top of my head.
    Of course, never, ever purge.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.