Thread: Difficulties from family

Difficulties from family

For the last 6 weeks, I have been sick with a bad cough. I was diagnosed with bronchitis. I saw a doctor twice, and was prescribed two round of meds. It has been a very nasty cough, that also drained my energy. Recovery has been very slow, and on some days I feel better, while others I feel worse.

And I am not the only one who has had this cough. I know plenty of people who either had it during the winter, or who had it during the last month. Even the doctor said that everyone is getting it.

Last week was my birthday, and I spoke with my mom, brother, and dad on the phone. My dad tells me that he knows that I have been sick for a month. First I am upset that my brother and mom told him that I was sick. I told them both earlier on not to tell dad, because I had a feeling that he would freak out. I couldn't hide being sick because it was obvious in my voice. I told my dad that it was bronchitis and that the doctor put me on medication. I also told him that lots of people are getting it and that there has been a bug going around. He then asks me "are you sure about that?" as if he is accusing me of lying. He also asks me about my job and I told him it's going well. He then starts with his you should look for a job elsewhere crap again. I told him that you really upset me and that I don't want to talk to him and I hung up the phone.

However, it really really upset my evening.

I really, really, hate my father and I wish he could be thrown behind bars where he could no longer antagonize me. I really, really hate the family structure. It is nothing but a tool of oppression by forcing us to accept people that are toxic for us.

I am disappointed in my mom and brother for telling him that I was sick for such a long time.

I hate myself for being so stupid. For foolishly asking to speak to him the night before my birthday. Ok, we have this tradition where they call me up the night before my birthday to sing happy birthday to me. This is because I was born just after midnight eastern time, so that makes it during the evening the night before in California. I spoke with mom and my brother. I stupidly asked to speak to my father and I wish I didn't. I hate myself for being so stupid. For thinking that I could even try to talk to my father. For thinking that it's my birthday, and that he would go easy on me. He had to be such a shit even on my birthday.

Also, a few weeks earlier, my brother asked me if the hormones are causing me to be sick. I later on found out that that idea originated from my father. What a surprise? My father came up with that idea.

The stress caused by my father certainly is not helping my recover, and the other day I really felt like my life is over. That there was no way out of this. That my dad would continue to torment me, and that I would never recover from bronchitis (or whatever else it could be).

I spoke with my mom and brother about this. My mom is very supportive, and although she still calls me by my birth name and misgenders me, she is still supportive and understanding of me. She has far more empathy towards what it is like to be transgender than the other two do. When I spoke to my brother, he accused me of ruining his birthday 8 years ago. Yes, I did a stupid thing 8 years ago, that was a result of my drinking, but my father is the one who ruined his birthday. My father is the one who chose to yell and scream like he was possessed by the devil for three days, the third one being my brother's birthday. My dad can get really, really violent, and scary, when he loses his temper. He is literally a god damn tyrant.

I also told my brother that I spoke with both my doctor and a pharmacist, and both told me that the hormones are not causing this. My brother than says "it's not a perfect world" and I asked him what do you mean by that, and he basically said that he thinks this is some kind of freak reaction to the hormones that even doctors and pharmacists aren't aware of.

I do wonder one thing. Is this kind of reaction from families normal? Has anyone else ever experienced yourself, or maybe someone you know who is TS, having a family member blame your being sick on the hormones, or blame something that has gone wrong in your life in discrimination, even though hormones or discrimination is not to blame?

Btw, please do not give any medical or drug advice. I don't want to break any rules and have the thread closed. Please only talk about your experience with your family( or the experience of someone else you know who has transitioned or currently is transitioning). Please talk about the way your family or someone else's family has reacted to things going wrong during transition. I repeat, please do not discuss medical or drug advice. That is reserved for doctors and pharmacists.

For what it's worth, this is my post #911.
    Last edited by Michelle789; 06-02-2015 at 05:35 PM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Michelle,

Long ago I learned a motto -- Illigitimus Non-Carborundum Est. Loosely translated it means "Don't let the *******s grind you down." It applies anywhere, anytime someone causes you grief.

So why let your toxic family grind you down? I know, it hurts and it is hard to deal with.

But I also know that we had a great time at your Birthday Party! So many nice people who obviously cared about you.

You didn't get to pick your family but you do get to pick your friends. Enjoy those whom you picked and who picked you. And as for the rest, Illigitimus Non-Carborundum.

Hugs,
    Barbara.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

SORRY, But I have to say it,, Cut Um Loose ,, There is nothing wrong with not talking or interacting with your Family. Hell mine cut me loose long ago with nothing to do with Trans issues. Hell I said Good Ridence ,lol,, So if something upsets you why keep going back? Some folks just don't get it an that's fine. But you don't get why they don't get it so just stay away.

Some people are just simple an will never change so you change for them. If they want to be part of your life they have to earn it not the other way around. Just be shed of all that negative crap an move on lifes WAYYYYYYYYYY to short for all that nonsense ! Let them live in the Dummy world with the rest of the dummies.

Michelle, I'm so sorry that you Dad was not nice on the phone and upset you so badly. Like Barbara said, you can't choose your family. Thinking charitably, I really think that your Dad is concerned about you and your well being, but is just stuck back in the 19th century. My Mother, in her later years, got to where we had to avoid certain subjects in conversation and stick to "safe" subjects, not that she got violent or carried on for days, but there was just no civil discussion if you hit the wrong subject. I finally reached a point in my life when I said to myself, I'm an adult and I get to make my own decisions whether my mother likes it or not. As a result, I called my parents after I got married, not before. In retrospect, they were probably hurt by not knowing ahead of time, but my mother would have had to interject her opinion, and if you didn't do as she thought you should, it wasn't comfortable. My Dad by the way was great, if you asked for advice he gave it and you could take it or leave it.

Sorry to yammer on, but I guess what I'm really saying is that you are an adult capable of making your own decisions, let the chips fall where they may. Illigitimus noncarbarundum est.

Take two fingers of scotch by mouth, opps no medical advice.

I hope tomorrow is a better day for you!

Hugs, Bria

Michelle,

I feel for you and what you are going thru, I was in a very similar position with my family..

The best thing I did was followed others advice and severed ties and I cut them loose. I never completely walked away but just enough that they cannot influence me or project their disapproval of my transition on me, the same as your family is doing to you right now.

You need to put some space between you and them and don't allow them to get into your head.

I am still in contact with my family but I keep them at arms length. I only allow them in so far and I hold them there, and they know this. Until I see that they have accepted me and my transition that is as far as they will get.

Megan

Surround yourself with people that "get it"...Leave the others in your wake...