Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: When does one move from Cross Dresser to Transgender to Transsexual ?

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD

Post When does one move from Cross Dresser to Transgender to Transsexual ?

Ok the reason I'm posting this is because tonight I'm lazy tonight and it's probably been answered in another post but at work
    my co-workers were talking about a famous celebrity (yes, its C.J, but that topic is in a different thread) who has recently
    started to transition however is quoted as saying "I don't ever plan on having SR Surgery" ..... so.

for the average person in how would YOU personally answer the following:

"When does one move from Cross Dresser to Transgender to Transsexual ?"
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

One moves from CDer to TS when one starts to prefer lounging around in sweats to getting dressed to the nines with no place to go.

OK, a longer answer:

I think that one is always at the same place. It just takes time and self-understanding to figure out where that place is.

Most of us with gender issues start out rationalizing to ourselves that we are CDers, since that is the end of our spectrum closest to people who don't have gender issues. So, we dress, learn a bit about makeup, and perhaps head out the door.

Once out the door some find that they are more interested in feminine interaction than in simply the clothes. We learn more about the social aspects of being female and perhaps discover that we prefer that sort of interaction to that we have as males.

Some aren't satisfied by this. They feel driven to make their physical being conform more closely to their desired gender. Those are the ones that are termed TS no matter what the medical intervention may be.
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

they don't

According to this site and without wanting to start a debate on terminology, if one is a CD then they are TG under that umbrella. Now, when does one "move" from TG/CD to TS is again a matter of how the individual sees it and has a strong opinion about it. I believe that if one is the opposite gender than their body parts, then they are that opposite gender from birth, similar to being gay. They may not recognize it right away. So, then we get to that difficult point of view, when does one become a TS? Some may say when they recognize that they are that opposite gender. I think that may be the correct point of view. It does not mean that they then almost immediately start to do something about it, i.e. they become a TS when they start to transition in some way, mentally (make a decision to) or otherwise. That may take a little or a lot more time to make that sometimes very hard decision.

that seems right..

nothing changes except the persons realization about what they always were and will always be..

you don't move between anything...you take actions and understand your nature better over time //thats all it is..

if a person is a cd and tricks themselves into transition, they are just as F'd as Jon Snow sailing out of Hardhome

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    After three years according to some, five years according to others (sarc)...
    Last edited by Donnagirl; 06-02-2015 at 11:39 PM.
    Call me Donna, please

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I've discovered this rule regarding your question in my 7+ years here, Kelly:

There R NO RULES!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

For me it is not that I moved from CD to TS, it is that at one time I thought I was just CD, but am now discovering that I am more than likely TS. Now I find that Being en femme is more natural for me than being en drab. Also, it is now more than just being all dressed up. It is about living as much of my life as possible as a woman.

Banned Read only
    It's all fun and games until the estradiol starts...

Seriously, you are no longer a crossdresser when you come out to yourself as being a woman, or at least as something other than a CD.

Let's not use the word "transsexual" please. I think what you are looking for is when you reach a point where you need to transition, and begin that transition. The transition itself can take a number of different forms.

The key parts, in my opinion are:
    1. Coming out to yourself about your gender identity
    2. Recognizing the need to do something about your identity
    3. Doing something about it

Woman first, Trans second
    Quote Originally Posted by Eryn View Post
    One moves from CDer to TS when one starts to prefer lounging around in sweats to getting dressed to the nines with no place to go.
    Whether or not that was intended to be sarcastic, there's a whole lot of truth in that statement.
    Coming out is like discovering that you've been drowning your whole life after actually breathing air for the first time.

IMHO and from my experience you do not move from CD to TS, you just come to realize you were always TS and were most likely in denial about it.

I identified as a CD'er for decades but looking back I was just in severe denial about who I really was. I did not want to believe that I was TS and fought against it very hard, trying to "man up". Once the GD got to a point that I could barely function in daily life and sought out help it still took me a long time to come to terms with it.

I can use this site for example, when I joined I thought I was a cd'er but as I browsed the cd section I could not relate to anything being discussed. I posted occasionally but like real life I just felt like I did not fit in. I could care less what colour panties I was wearing or anything else that was being discussed. infact when I came out to my wife 10 years ago I showed her this forum but cautioned her to not assume that what she reads in the cd section is a reflection of what I think or feel.

Then once I opened my mind to possibly being TS and started reading What others wrote in the TS section, that was the first time I could relate to anyone on this forum. I could feel what they were saying and could look back on my life and see the same thing. I shared something with them,life crippling Gender Dyshoria.

So when does a CD'er move to being TS? They don't unless they were TS to to begin with.

Megan
    I'm outta here...

So now we can't use transsexual? Umm
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

exactly megan

and stef i know
    that is just flat out completely and totally wrong

Im transsexual.. I'm a transsexual woman.. sorry but thats the simple truth to me
    transition is what i did about it to improve my quality of life..

I went from CD, to transsexual in one day. I had an epiphany, a rather messy one, which involved a lot of crying, on my neighbors lawn. The next day I was at my Dr's office.

see i like to say this differently paula i think the way you say it creates a very false impression

you REALIZED you were transsexual.. you REALIZED what wearing women's clothes really meant to you..
    you were transsexual all along...your wonderful stories about your transition only bear out what was true the whole time...

to me this really nails down for people that they really are the arbiters of their gender identity and self reflection and honesty is what bears the most weight by far...

Quote Originally Posted by stefan37 View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    and stef i know
    that is just flat out completely and totally wrong

Im transsexual.. I'm a transsexual woman.. sorry but thats the simple truth to me
    transition is what i did about it to improve my quality of life..
    Right.

I was on another forum (not trans related) and a discussion of trans issues came up. The poster (a cis woman) stated that the term transsexual was offensive to trans people and outdated.

Really? Still works for me.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

If you're lucky. ...never
    All I ever wanted was to be a girl. Is that really asking too much?

Banned Read only
    Like everything else within the transgender umbrella, this is a hard question to answer. It has been my experience that when one truly weighs the facts and decides that they were TS all along, that is when the shift happens. The majority of CDs, those that love the duality of crossdressing, will never decide to transition. There are no statics available to even make an educated guess of when this shift happens.

Banned Read only
    Look, obviously you are free to use whatever terms feel comfortable with describing yourself.

I feel that "transsexual" is a term of oppression. It was coined by cisgender people. It has a very narrow definition historically. The history of it, particularly the gate keeping is shameful in my opinion. I want no part of the word, although I understand many do identify with it.

If by "transsexual" one refers to a set of steps, medical, social, and legal to transition from your assigned at birth sex to your gender identity, then yup, that's what I am. I am doing all the stuff people on the forum do who were assigned male at birth but who are in actuality women and who feel they must live their lives as such.

In particular, since this is obviously such a vital and important piece of information in our society, I am scheduled with Bowers in February of 2016 to have my penis surgically reconstructed into a vagina. This appears to be the gold standard, at least for some around these parts. (Pun intended.)

So yes, I'm a transsexual. I'm in transition, and look, I have access to the safe haven forums for transsexuals here.

And I still hate this term, and do not use it when self-describing.

I find it astonishing that people here would feel OK about a term that TERFs like Janice Raymond have used, with great success, to oppress us and undermine our identities as women.

I hate that I'm expected to self identify, apparently, in a way that very publicly divulges the most private medical details about myself that I could imagine, and that is expected of no one else in our society.

Can you imagine a woman who has survived breast cancer feeling the need to explain this to someone she's on a date with, and then having that person look at her in disgust, exclaiming "Oh my God! You mean those aren't REAL breasts?, and then facing the humiliation of having that person run to the restroom and throw up?

That would be horrible and inexcusable in our society, but it's a common experience for many of us. At the very least it's a common movie trope. I rather expect verbal or physical violence against the trans woman is a much more common outcome than nausea on the part of the cisgender person at the table.

My opinion is that the information conveyed in the term transsexual need only be known by my doctor, and possibly by my lovers.

I'm not as sensitive to those issues. I take offense to policing of terms I use. I use transsexual and tranny interchangeably depending on my audience. Transitioner would be more descriptive, but those not in the know wouldn't understand. Transgender might work, but I rarely use it to describe me. I associate transgender with a gender fluid individual. I'm scheduled for SRS Nov 3, but I don't have the abhorrent thoughts of my penis as you do. As a matter of fact I'm actually ambivalent about it. If for health reasons I couldn't have it. I could get an orchi and go about my life. I have my own reasons and that suffices for me.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

I'm not as sensitive to those issues. I take offense to policing of terms I use.
    I agree. I don't see all the negative connotations with the term. As far as I'm concerned it's merely a medical term to describe a person who is experiencing a specific set of circumstances in their life. Not much more than that, IMHO.

Quote Originally Posted by PaulaQ View Post
    I find it astonishing that people here would feel OK about a term that TERFs like Janice Raymond have used, with great success, to oppress us and undermine our identities as women.
    Well, that’s a bit of a reach. That Janice Raymond and her ilk use this term is no more offensive than anyone else using any other standard term. What Janice Raymond does that is so offensive is to misuse the term, and other terms that also have legitimate meanings in the appropriate context. Her sin is the intentional misgendering and miscategorization of trans people to suit her own agenda.

I am not willing to give our enemies permission to define trans culture, and I won’t stop using a perfectly good word just because someone has used it as a weapon. I don’t believe in letting the bad guys make the rules.
    Last edited by Michelle.M; 06-03-2015 at 03:27 PM.
    I've gone to find myself. If I should return before I get back keep me here to wait for me so I don't go back out and miss myself when I return.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelly DeWinter View Post
    or the average person in how would YOU personally answer the following:

"When does one move from Cross Dresser to Transgender to Transsexual ?"
    I would start by explaining that the question is phrased wrongly and that someone does not "move" from being a cross-dresser/transgender to transsexual.

Some people as part of the denial of their true nature will try to use cross-dressing as a coping mechanism, but that does not mean that they were not born with this medical condition. I have known for over half a century who I really am but it is only in the last five or six years that I have given in to the need to address my condition. I did not suddently "move" to being transsexual, I did "move" to do something about it.

Let's not use the word "transsexual" please.
    If you don't want to use the term, don't, but you will not prevent me from using a term that describes me quite succinctly.

I feel that "transsexual" is a term of oppression.
    In a lot of contexts, "female" and "woman" can be used as terms of oppression, will you also ask us to stop using those?

What I find astonishing is that anyone on these forums would use abuse by TERFs to try to determine what terms we can use to describe ourselves accurately.

WHilst we are on the subject, TERFs try to use the term "Feminist" to abuse us, should I stop being a feminist?
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Rianna Humble View Post
    If you don't want to use the term, don't, but you will not prevent me from using a term that describes me quite succinctly.
    Really, what information does it convey? This term, for better or worse, has become all about medical stuff that I don't think we need to talk about in terms of general self-identification. It's also confusing for the non-transgender folks, because it makes our condition sound like a sexual orientation, when it most assuredly is not.

Why do you feel the need to convey this information? What is it buying you? Does someone need to know we're on hormones? (Oh wait, that isn't a requirement), or we're changing our legal documentation? (Not always possible!) Or any of the other myriad things this implies? Wouldn't it be more descriptive to say "I'm undergoing gender transition", if that's what you are actually doing?

Explain to me please why this is better than saying "I'm a transgender woman," or better still, "I'm a trans woman," or even "I'm a woman?"

As for the comment about not using the word "woman", although there are people who would actually like this, I suspect, for better or worse our minds and our society seem really geared to this whole man / woman , male / female thing. So I'm sorry, but I suspect we're stuck with those terms. Unfortunately, some of the suggested replacements came from the same radical feminists who have been not quite so nice to us, so I'm hesitant to suggest adopting them. But if you want to refer to us as "womyn", I guess more power to you?
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 06-03-2015 at 05:16 PM.

Wherever there is a Sale or Macys, but mostly Baltimore MD
    After reading the Posts, maybe the question should be "When does one transition from Cross Dresser to Transgender to Transsexual to Woman ?"
    Kelly DeWinter
    Find Kelly at:
    Kelly's Blog
    Flicker
    [COLOR=#2e8b57

What about transsexual conveys surgery ? it conveys gender identity... gender is opposite of birth sex...pretty much end of story..

FFS/HRT/GRS/Full time or just suffering in desperation doing nothing... its all transsexual..

frankly as i've said a dozen times in the other section..my issue is with the term transgender...
    It infers that there is a progression and it causes miscommunication and questions like the one in the OP>

sorry paula...i'm a transsexual woman.. what i did about it is my business(even though i share it pretty openly)