Thread: therapy

therapy

for years I shunned any help, thinking I just could get by or stop it, but you realize with age getting help is the best.I found a women who GBLT and understanding of the life here between dallas and fort worth that is unbelievable. The wife and I both life her and it is more conversation and discussion than therapy. Finding the right person is whole key right? Am I the only one who things therapy and talking about it is the answer? making sure you can be comfortable as you? I even shared pictures. Your thoughts? Btw if your in the dew area you have to use her...PM me Ill send you her name

It has been a long road, but the therapist I am seeing has helped me immensely.
    Without her help, I would still be beating myself up thinking there was something wrong with me and basically being a total mess.

With her help, I have discovered that this is just a part of who I am and that there is nothing wrong with me after all; I just like to occasionally wear women's clothes.
    She helped me realize that cross-dressing doesn't hurt anyone, it is not a sin, it's not illegal, it's not even immoral; it's just a part of what makes me unique.

The key is finding the right therapist, one without an agenda who can listen and be your sounding board without casting judgement.
    I think the highest praise I can give my therapist is that after over four years, I really don't know what her personal opinion is on much beyond college football and golf.
    I am Me and Me is OK!

Shelby

Banned Read only
    I kind of agree but with so much (positive) attention to the tg community latelt and the Internet explosion I don't see as much need now to have anyone explicitly validate who we are, maybe I'm just lucky to be living in a positive environment. ..touch wood!😓

Banned Read only
    I never thought I would need counselling but it does help so much. The problem I have is my wife refuses to attend jointly , it's very hard to discuss problems related to CDing and not make your partner look bad because of their lack of acceptance , CDing isn't their fault but it makes it so much harder to move forward when you feel you've run into a brick wall ! I found the rift widened I could openly talk to my therapist and then faced a closed book at home.
    My next therapist is going to deal more with gender issues, I don't think my wife wife is aware and ready for the the possible outcome, I have tried for more open acceptance with the family in readiness for changes that may have to come, I don't think they realise how much it affects my life, it's more of a joke at the moment !

Many years ago I tried therapy with different therapists, This was when they still believed it was a behavioral disorder and it could be cured. By then I had purged multiple times wasting lots of money and still hating myself and self-distuctive too boot. I met my second wife and she helped quite a bit, but we had many other issues. Then I met the love of my life, i told her about Tammy the night we met. She wasn't sure about someone like me, but was willing to just be friends. A year later we were married and have been together 25 years now. She has always been helpful and supportive. She taught me how to properly wear makeup and to be more lady like. She is hands down the best therapist I have ever had.
    I say you have to at least have someone to communicate with who will actually listen to you. BUt we all need help of some kind.

Therapy is often good for some but isn't always necessary. I've been going to therapy for a few months now and feel like it is starting to help me feel less ashamed about how I am. I am even making strides in going out in public. I guess it all depends on the situation.

Banned Read only
    my therapist is my wife,she helps me stay on a even keel,without her i would prob stay cheryl

I think EVERYONE should have a therapist whether your a crossdresser or not.
    You wouldn't feel ashamed or weird about going to a doctor to make sure you are in good physical health so there is no reason to be ashamed about going to a therapist to keep your mental health in good shape.
    Most insurance companies will cover some amount of therapy so it can be done at a low cost.
    Since I started talking to my therapist about crossdressing it has helped me find a lot more happiness and comfort in all of this.
    It is nice to have a totally judgement free zone to discuss your thoughts and feelings its totally different than talking to an SO or friends or family!

Therapy is an excellent way to develop an understanding of how you think. This helps you identify thoughts and coping skills you've developed that are not good for your quality of life.

It can be hard work. You have to put thought into it and you must be fearless in sharing your thoughts. Sometimes the therapist just says "what do you feel about that?"...that's kind of annoying but they are trying to understand HOW you answer as much as what you answer...

good luck!

Platinum Member
    I find myself echoing Kaitlyn Michele a lot. Yes, I found therapy very helpful both in learning to accept myself...to use my psychologist's phrase, 'it's not a crime, you know.' And in unlearning counterproductive thought habits accumulated over a lifetime of denial. That unlearning of destructive thinking processes and substitution of more constructive ones, is the real work and greatest benefit of therapy.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    Finding someone with whom you can just talk about this is priceless. A therapist should help you find ways to understand and accept what is going on with you. They should not lead you in anyone direction but help you see for yourself. They should unlock doors and tear down barriers that you have build up and closed off because you did not want to deal with your situation, no matter how embarrassing or disgusting or even frightening it may be. A good therapist is worth their weight in gold.