Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: RuPaul?

I am a big fan of RuPaul and love the show....Ru always says ''Drag is important because it reminds our culture to not take life too seriously.''

Banned Read only
    I haven't seen any of his/her stuff other than some pretty amazing (dare i say inspirstional) photos and I completely agree drag is certainly not trans! I just need inspiration I think, look at Carmen Carrara, the first transgender VS model! OK I'm gealous!

Quote Originally Posted by Barbara Jo View Post
    It should be understood that "drag" is totally different than CDing.
    Drag is all about being campy...... over the top etc.
    you know that, I know that, everyone here knows that but most vanilla people think you are JUST like the Queens...

something I find interesting. No one has mentioned all the money RuPaul has spent to get where he is...surgery...etc...but people jumped all over Caitlyn
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

He's very skilled in doing drag. Looks like he could pass easily if he wasn't so tall. In that, I admire him. But the problem is of course that he makes the general public believe that he's just an average guy who dresses up like a girl, be in your face about it, and gay at that. Not exactly what we're trying to represent in most cases. Besides, I think he's about six three, so make that six ten with those heels.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

When RuPaul was a MAC spokesperson s/he did wonders for us (and made MAC a place for us?) But I don't identify with drag queens. Perhaps unfairly, I've always thought of them as parodies of women. When I am dressed, I don't think of myself as being "in drag": I'm just wearing my clothes, the clothes that I am comfortable in.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Sometimes miss, I know his pain so, I'm 6'4" so I have to stick to flats

RuPaul... thoughts... He's a drag entertainer. And a darned good one as an individual. I hadn't seen anything of Drag Race so took the opportunity to watch the YT season opener... What a drag (pardon the pun) Everything a formulaic reality show should have, it had... Orchestrated, stereotypical, high-definition pulp. But RuPaul polishes up well - despite this or because of this:

Quote Originally Posted by sometimes_miss View Post
    Looks like he could pass easily if he wasn't so tall.... Besides, I think he's about six three, so make that six ten with those heels.
    That's partly what makes him relatively photogenic from a proportion perspective but only (or especially) on screen or stage - tall and slender (for a guy) is unusual but makes it easier to pull off the look with a physique that is stunningly femme. Plus...

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    No one has mentioned all the money RuPaul has spent to get where he is...surgery...etc...but people jumped all over Caitlyn
    .. but few people mention the money Mickey Rourke, Sarah Jessica-Parker, John Travolta, or Sandra Bullock may have spent in what is - after all - an image business? I think both RuPaul and Ms Jenner would just see this as being the normal way of celebrity life and what reality show fees are earned to be spent on... None of this is real world stuff however much they try to make us believe it!

For me this almost always comes down to motivation... RuPaul's is by choice as an entertainer and personality, and a naturally talented one - for most folk here under our happy, convivial, rainbow-TG umbrella, it's a little harder to explain.... we sure as heck don't get paid for doing this (well, few of us at least... )

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

you know that, I know that, everyone here knows that but most vanilla people think you are JUST like the Queens...
    I totally agree, we need a way lot more exposure.....something that won't happen if we keep hiding on a Closet.

I disagree, she is making it HARDER for the CDs and TSs...her show gives most people the idea your life is drama central and overly made up gay guys...sorry, RuPaul could go away and I wouldn't even miss him (yes...I said HIM, that's what HE is.)
    I totally agree.

It seems that the drag queens just reinforce negative stereotypes.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"

something I find interesting. No one has mentioned all the money RuPaul has spent to get where he is...surgery...etc...but people jumped all over Caitlyn
    i don't think anyone was criticizing Catilyn...... they (including myself) was just interjecting a bit of reality and saying that her money etc made it easier financially for her.

Little Mrs. Snarky! Nadine Spirit's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by BARBARA_MELENDEZ View Post
    ?...something that won't happen if we keep hiding on a Closet.
    Totally agree.

I jave no problem with RuPaul. If that is what he wants to do, then go for it, that happens to be his form of expression. Cool. I don't watch the show as it holds no interest for me.

Genderfluid Swiftie DanielleLee's Avatar
    Nadine nailed it... To each his/her own.

IMO, Drag queens do hurt the perception of what cross dressers are. Drag queens and cross dressers are very different as we know. The problem as Lorileah stated above, is that the mainstream equates drag to cross dressing.
    Last edited by Katey888; 06-14-2015 at 12:06 PM. Reason: Not necessary to requote the entire previous post

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I'm all for live and let live if being a drag queen does it for you thats fine with me.
    I do see where the show diminishes the way people perceive trans people in general.
    But its our job to change the perception is it not?