Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: RuPaul?

Banned Read only

RuPaul?

What are your thoughts on Rupaul? I didn't even know about him/her until a couple weeks ago but WOW...'She makes it werk' I like the quotes...My fav is 'What other people think of me is none of my business!' Yep😊

Banned Read only

How could you not know about rupaul ,LA Verne cox (time magazine cover), Janet mock and many more who have cable and TV shows and or making it easier for you and me.

Google RU Paul's drag race,orange is the new black

Janet is an activist
    Last edited by chinabrown; 06-09-2015 at 11:43 PM.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    Rupal did her thing in the 90's........she is still around here and there doing Americas next drag queen or something.......i never watch.....not a fan of America's Next Top ( anything) shows......

I've tried to watch Drag Race, but it's way too campy for my taste. I get that it's drag and that's part of the schtick, but for me it's way too much of the same "character" over and over again.
    I'm a girl when I feel like it

Banned Read only
    Just classic drag. Stereotype central.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I'm sorry, but that's just not to my taste. I don't wish to demean drag queens. I've seen a number of them over the last few weekends. And, some were very experienced entertainers.

Their over the top makeup reminds me of kabuki performers. And, many of the performers I've seen were quite large.

I guess I prefer female impersonators. And, would rate myself more in that catagory.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Quote Originally Posted by chinabrown View Post
    How could you not know about rupaul ...many more who have cable and TV shows and or making it easier for you and me.
    I disagree, she is making it HARDER for the CDs and TSs...her show gives most people the idea your life is drama central and overly made up gay guys...sorry, RuPaul could go away and I wouldn't even miss him (yes...I said HIM, that's what HE is.)

Like Jennifer said...total stereotype

Now LaVerne Cox and Janet mock may be making your life better...but realize, that everyday people expect you to look like Ms Cox....lots to live up to
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

RuPaul is an a-hole. He does not identify as trans or as a CD. He continues to mock transwomen who do not pass well. And he continually uses the slur terms she-male and tranny.
    DonnaT

I never watched it. but after reading this thread, I decided to watch this clip on youtube. Oh wow they're just too much. they look like a cross between women, clowns and aliens.

It's definitely not something I want to be associated with.

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    That's drag for you. Nauseating camp, bad disco music, snarky dialog, melodramatic bitchiness, glitter eyeshadow, neon bodycon dresses you could see from the moon .... ugh.

It's not uncommon for people to accuse us (folks anywhere on the trans spectrum) of mocking real women; of appropriating only the most outrageous, self-serving, shallow aspects of the female gender, while retaining male privilege.

It's just so damn easy to understand drag, because it is exactly that. It might not be palletable to everyone, but it's so damn easy to understand, and it's sooooooooooooooooo freakin easy to hold that easily understood thing up as a prototype for all trans people. Then they put this crap on TV and in movies ...

Too Wong Foo ... The Birdcage ... ms doutfire ... dame edna... RuPaul ... in the 90's, before there was really an Internet, long before there was google ... this is what "transgender" meant in pop culture.

That confused the living hell out of me at the time, because apart from wearing girl clothes, I couldn't relate to this in the slightest. Ok, maybe the bad disco ... after all this was the ravetastic 90s ...lol.

But really, I'd see these people on the screen and I'd feel like I wanted to die inside, because here I was being shown supposedly "my people", and I felt completely utterly alone in the world because I was not like that, I and I didn't want to be like that even a little bit.

This is why I find it amusing when I read articles accusing Caitlyn of putting on a "gender minstrel show". That's what RuPaul and his ilk have been doing since forever.

Caitlyn, Transparent, Becoming Us ... a number of others that I can't name off the top of my head ... they're finally telling our story! The next generation is watching, and thank god ... they don't think drag queens are the only way to be transgender.

This is an amazing time in history for us.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    An ego the size of a double-wide trailer home, in sparkly pantyhose.

Great cheekbones though.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Disagree, disagree, disagree. RuPaul's Drag Race is the funniest show on television. Ru pulls some of the most talented performers together and make them do over the top, ridiculous stuff. That's the whole point. RPDR also happens to be a brilliant deconstruction of the elimination realty show. I get why it may not be everyone's cup of tea - the show is more gay-centric than trans-oriented.

Ru may be late coming around to our shifting language norms, but as a gender variant pioneer, I cut her enormous slack. As far as I know she hasn't used the words tranny or she-male since last year's whole brouhaha.
    The struggle. She is real.

I've seen drag race once or twice but those reality contest programmes aren't for me, and as said by others, it's a bit campy for my taste.

It can be a good way to pick up tips and tricks. I found out how to make a gaffe out of a tube sock and a pantyhose waistband which I'm wondering how I did without before

My wife and I have watched every season of Drag Race and loved it. The things they do on it are funny. The back story of the the people on it are so deep. The only place in public I have felt at ease going to dressed is a gay bar on Drag Nights. I am 6'1" 250 lbs. I can't blend, pass or any other word used to describe pulling off looking like a girl to the straight world so I actually like Drag Queens. Do I dress like one, no. Nor do I do my makeup as one. Nor do I dress when I have body hair. I have never felt shunned by them nor looked down on. I have been by girls who are transitioning though. We all have our place in life.

Sorry to go off target. I have learned a lot about who I am watching it. I can't wait for next season.

Oh that is a crazy show. I'm watching season six. Crazy. They sure don't represent us.
    Part Time Girl

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    It should be understood that "drag" is totally different than CDing.
    Drag is all about being campy...... over the top etc.
    Most drag performers are gay and they do no want to be/ pass as woman..... the thrill with them is, "Hey, I may look like a female but.
    They love being a campy characterchure of a woman .

Though the years I've met quite a few drag performers and most seem to tolerate... even like CDers, even it they do not not really understand CDs

As far as Ru Paul, he is one of the all time best drag queens and I do like him/her.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 06-12-2015 at 12:49 AM. Reason: trying to bypass the filter not allowed

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I've seen the show but like most reality shows its not reality its all staged.
    Deff not my thing.

My wife and I love the show. They are entertainers so they are supposed to be over the top. Yes, sometimes the insults and attitudes can be a bit much, but there's usually a few queens who very funny, some who are incredible dancers, etc. The backstage scenes do a good job of showing you a wide range of gay people with different personalities, quirks and foibles. Some of the back stories of pain and loss are very touching, and also the occasional reunion with a long estranged parent can be amazing. I think at least two of the queens have come out at as trans on the show, and it was handled in a very respectful way.

Aspiring Member
    Hey he is who he is and does what he does. At first when he first started appearing in the 80's I was a fan. I thought I could identify with him back in those days as simply someone who played around with gender and crossed that line. A few years ago I read somewhere he said he wasn't one of those weird freaks who dresses up in his wife's clothes and goes out shopping. Which I took as a swipe at CDers.
    After that I never quite looked at him through the same lens.

I'm not a fan, to be sure. Whatever floats your boat
    Alex Forbes
    Faux Femme
    Flickr Page

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    remember this????

He/she does a good job at becoming a female but indeed not a fan at all, seems on the show it's all about drag, nothing about trans.
    “When it comes to life, we spin our own yarn, and where we end up is really, in fact, where we always intended to be.” ― Julia Glass

Just a touch of class Lynn Marie's Avatar
    Way too campy for me too. There's so much real talent around that lip syncing doesn't seem worth the effort involved to watch it.

This is EXACTLY what puts a BAD LIGHT on us in the Public Eye ! All of the Flamboyant Lifestyle and General attitudes of these Drag Queens. And all people watch this an think that's the way we all are. If people would watch and listen they would know that there 2 different things But NOOOOOOOOO,

If you like all that Drama and fighting an back stabbing you may watch it but I watched it a few times and couldn't get into it much. Most are all young and have sewing skills and are gay and flaming about it and are the stereo typical Drag Queens like you see in a Gay Bar. The whole thing is staged and fake as hell, But there are some on there who are REALLY GOOD at costumes for sure. There was one on there that was a DEAD ringer for Britney Spears. And there are some that are really talented for sure, But as far as the costumes making and all the drama I will Pass. I am more of a blender myself and no need sticking out, If I wanted to do that I would have stayed a MAN,lol But Ru Paul is a good singer actor but Trans NO.
    If we could ever get Joe Public to realize there two different things we would be better off for sure. But in the mean time just hope for the best and prepare for the worse.

He's vintage. Think Furbies, Beanie Babies, Spice Girls, Pogs and Pokemon era. Oh, and the forever famous thigh-master, too!
    Last edited by MissTee; 06-11-2015 at 09:09 PM.