Thread: Had "the Chat" with my boss

Had "the Chat" with my boss

So, yesterday, I had "the chat" with my boss. Earlier in the week I had my annual performance review. It was fine, with the usual high ratings on all metrics. As part of this process, we create a plan for the next year and slot in travel and projects etc. I was sort of non committal on travel (based on unknown medical appointments and how I would be feeling etc). So after it was all done and signed, I asked for a one hour meeting to explain some things. That happened yesterday at the end of the day.

Now, I know my boss really well, and I anticipated her being totally supportive of me. And I wasn't wrong. I told her everything about what was going on, my separation, how I was dealing with that, and my plan to transition. She was very empathetic regarding my separation. And, she is totally on board with my transition. She said I have her total support, the support of the office and the support of the department and she will bring to bear all the resources of the department and organization to help me. I am in one of the highest profile offices in entire organization. She said that this is an opportunity to show all other departments how this is to be handled and how important it is that we do this properly.

She said that I have worked hard over the large number of years I have been here to cultivate a great deal of personal and political goodwill. This is going to work so much in my favour. She is not anticipating any issues, but if there are, they will be dealt with quickly and effectively to ensure the best possible experience for me and the organization. Intolerance will not be tolerated.

We chatted about how to roll out the transition from a communication point of view and the different layers. From the 8 people in my office - the C suite - to the 400 in my department to the 5,000 in my organization. So we are starting to think about it. We also discussed next steps and who to get involved sooner rather than later. There are also a number of people that I want to speak with personally about this. I work closely with other department heads and VPs and they deserve to be told in person, not by an email. So, over the next little while, we are going to put a plan together. She is happy to work on my timeline and go at whatever pace I am happy with. She will also join me when I met with our department HR person and other key individuals to support me in the conversation and demonstrate that I have complete support of the office and department.

I am very lucky. We have worked together for a long time and I was pretty sure that I would have her support, but you never know until you have "the chat". In the end, she gave me a big hug and said this is going to be great. "It will be great to have you finally be happy, and I will do whatever it takes from my end to get you there".

Time for another little happy dance???
    Last edited by Eringirl; 06-12-2015 at 07:38 AM.
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

fantastic!!!

you need to take some credit!! All your hard work is being rewarded

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Erin;

Good for you. What I've been finding in my process is 2 key things... 1) I'm learning a lot about myself in the process and 2) related to 1 ... Smoothness depends on you, the relationships you've built, and your personal approach. Hands down the amount of invested Capitol and standing I have in my organization and the folks I work with is coming through loud and clear. I've spent my career giving them everything I have in the way of time attention and support... Now it's coming back and quite frankly overwhelming me in the overwhelming support and acceptance.

I'm guessing you'll have a similar experience.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Congratulations Erin. I hope your entire transition at work goes as well as this first meeting!!

Carlene

Congratulations, Erin.

I live in the same part of the country as you and I've had nothing but positive responses from coworkers, clients, friends, parents of kids' friends, etc. Things really have changed for the better over the last few decades, at least here in Ontario.

Good luck on your journey.

Platinum Member
    That's wonderful. It speak well of your Organization, your supervisor and of course speaks volumes about you.

Erin
    Congratulations! That must be a relief. I am so envious of your situation. I will be facing telling the president of my company in about 10 months unless HRT forces my hand earlier. I work for a small family owned company with about 80 employes. I hope that my success and hard work carry the day like yours have. Again, congratulations!
    Hugs
    Suzanne

Erin, happy dance for sure! I can't imagine how much you must have been sweating bullets over "the chat." I'm sure thsat you will be walking on a little cloud at least for a few days. Thanks for sharing!

Hugs, Bria

Congratulations! As others said, it all goes to show how awesome you, your boss and your company are.

Congratulations, Erin. I talked to HR last week, and get to see the CEO when he returns from China.

Hugs,

Leah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Neanderthal in nylons Julie Denier's Avatar
    That's terrific, Erin!

Banned Read only
    Permission granted for just a little happy dance . There is still a long way to go. Continue to do the same great job during and after transition and you will have very few problems to contend with.

Wow. Happy dance is indeed warranted. What a wonderful reaction from your boss. I hope for the same. Fingers crossed. So are my toes!
    Tess

Can I just be a girl already?! Please!

Banned Read only
    Congratulations Erin! Your organization is highly evolved and clearly has a fantastic HR department. I've had dreams (night mares dare I say) about a possible 'chat' with my boss and HR director on the same topic. I too have a highly evolved HR department and I don't expect any issues (helps that I look like I'm already on HRT to begin with) but actually doing it...wow...that's a tough one! Some call us weak!!? WTF are you talking about!!!?

Gold Member
    And things keep moving forward.... I am very happy for you! It is a great feeling to get the support out of the gate. Somehow I suspect you are going to get the same from your coworkers.

All girl, all the time! ❤ Felicia Dee's Avatar
    That's fantastic! I'm so glad for you... gives me hope for the time when finally I come out at work.
    - HUGS -
    "I'm a work in progress..."

Great news, it's good you've got he support from your employer