Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 123

Thread: Caitlyn Jenner raising the bar for passing

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    ...Take a look at the pictures of her in jeans visiting the LA LGBT center..."
    The photos were taken at the LA LGBT Youth Shelter, actually. The Center itself, with its clinic and administration offices, is several blocks away. The Shelter is a wonderful place, full of terrific young people. I've donated clothes and treats there several times, and the kids are extremely warm and appreciative of any help you can offer. Security is strong, because of the vulnerability of these kids, but anyone who comes in peace is welcome.

I understand Caitlyn spent a fair amount of time there, meeting kids, learning about the program and discussing her own history. It wasn't just a photo-op. I think she's going to be doing great work, using her visibility to make things easier for all of us, especially the young'uns.

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    So it makes me wonder, does Caitlyn Jenner's coming out now raise the bar of what it takes to pass?
    If you claim that, you would also have to say the same for Janet Mock, Lana Wachowski, Isis King, Laverne Cox and Geena Rocero; all of whom preceeded Jenner and look at least as good and probably better...

DeeAnn

My comment on the $4 million dollar figure was just that any of us could look that good with that kind of backing at our disposal.
    The story came concerning the E! show she's doing and that even at that figure she's estimated to be paid $5 million for the show.

They made the comment that it was profitable for her even at that level.

I don't care if she spent $10 million to make herself beautiful and align with her inner self. Good for her. I just hope that all this publicity benefits the rest of us in a positive way and doesn't create any negative feelings towards the community.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

i hear you

i think in this case we are going to have to take it as it comes....

i hope the next stage of this is as pleasant a surprise as the abc special.

Banned Read only
    I think the key here is that we (those of us in transition or already completed transition) go out and make ourselves available to the public. Answer questions as long as the questions are not too personal or mean spirited. Educate the public. Caitlyn stepping out there and doing everything she can do is great but even with her notoriety, she is going to need some help. She can't do it all by herself.

Banned Read only
    I agree Jorja. We needed Caitlyn to help start the conversation. She did that in a way no other person could've done. But we absolutely cannot let her be the one to finish the conversation. The rest of us need to step up where we can, and engage in this dialog. We have to become visible. There are many, many matters where I find I disagree with gay and lesbian folks, but they got it right - coming out, being visible, was the smartest thing they ever did for their cause.

Banned Read only
    Just an example of what a celebrity can do for a cause.

My father had Parkinson's Disease for several years before Michael J. Fox acknowledged that he had PD. The difference in funding and effort to find a cure was unbelievable. They found more and better drugs that help, better treatments have been found in the past 10 years than were found in the previous 200 years. All because a famous actor came out and said he had a disease.

While GD and all that goes with it is not that type of medical problem, I am sure you will agree, it is a problem. Someone like Caitlyn Jenner can take our cause to the world and get the results needed but she can't do it alone.

Banned Read only
    True, it isn't that type of problem, but there is also a social part to it that physically-related medical issues don't have...

DeeAnn

I too am very glad to see Ms. Caitlyn go do what she is doing.....so far. I fully agree that she can really get the GD/TG spectrum conversation going probably better than anyone else can at the moment, and I wish her a lot of luck in being able to do so. But has been said, she will not be able to do it alone. I don't know if her upcoming E! TV show was really necessarily as I would not have elected to do it, but if she felt it needed to be done so be it as it is her life.

The only thing I hope for is that with whatever Ms. Caitlyn desires to get involved with now or in the future, is that she is able to do so successfully without having to bring all that Kardashian crap and baggage along with her. I know it's her's, but that whole family just makes my skin crawl whenever I think of them.

Sarah[SIZE="3"][/SIZE]

"Sport is for men.......But Ballet is for women" ---- George Balenchine

Reality Check
    I don't think the Caitlyn Jenner situation has anything to do with "passing". One's ability to pass stands on its own. If you look, sound and act like a woman, you will be taken as a woman. If not, you can't blame others, you've got to work at it yourself to get better.