Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Survey on pronouns

Survey on pronouns

I do surveys for a survey company (yougov.com), the following was a followup question to the main survey. My answer was c. I'm not sure if I am mad about the 20% for a, or happy that it was not larger. I saw the 29% for e as very positive.

When is it appropriate to change the pronoun you use to refer to a transgender person from his or her birth gender to her or his new gender identity?
    a) Never 20%
    b) After gender reassignment surgery 12%
    c) Once the person exhibits the public appearance of a given gender 8%
    d) Once the person begins any medical treatment 4%
    e) As soon as the person identifies as transgender 29%
    f) Not sure 26%
    All US adults, 06/01/15

Silver Member
    Well answer c needs to be excluded as it makes too much sense.

My answer would be C. If a person presents as female, they should be addressed with female pronouns. That goes for CD folk as well as TG's.

While I think C is the best answer, I would have liked to have seen an option for "when official records have been changed".

Quote Originally Posted by Ceera View Post
    My answer would be C. If a person presents as female, they should be addressed with female pronouns. That goes for CD folk as well as TG's.
    Should not you ask first if we are talking about crossdressers? Because I wear female clothes many times a week yet I myself don't want my pronouns changed. Crossdressing does not make you any less of a man, even if society leads people believe so.

I would have liked to have seen an option for "when official records have been changed".
    This would be a good answer too.

I would go with C, but obviously it's the persons preference.
    When dressed if people said she and her I would think it was great but if they used my male name it would be fine too since that's who I am.

It's good to see that the bulk of answers were spread through the progressive questions rather than never.

Sarah x

I think whenever the person requests the use of the new pronouns

Quote Originally Posted by bridget thronton View Post
    I think whenever the person requests the use of the new pronouns
    ^I'm going with that one. Refer to someone the way they want, just like you call them the name they request. Way too many women can't figure out when and if they want to be referred to as girls and who can call them that. Then if you call a woman 'ma'am' and she feels that's a term for old ladies, she gets upset too. So we have the same right. Call us what we want to be called. After all, young urban guys want to be referred to 'wut up, dog'. Fine. some people want to be called animals. Whatever.....
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.

I would respectfully suggest the correct answer is not even listed.

Normally the Pronouns should match the Gender you see presented before you.

Any individual should decide when/if they want you to use different pronouns
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Of the choices listed, I would choose "C". However, I would say that a public appearance is not necessary for one to want to be addressed as one is presenting.
    Hugs, Carole

I have to agree with Shelly . One should use the pronouns consistent with how the person is presenting. So for example a CD would switch back and forth depending on how they were dressed at the moment.

Hugs Annette
    "It takes more courage for a man to appear in public wearing a dress than to charge into battle"

Me July 2005

I will also go with using pronouns based on how one is presenting with the following caveat. It should be very clear that they are presenting as (not just like) the opposite gender. The best answer would be to respect their presentation and then have the person being addressed correct or indicate what pronouns they would prefer. This will not always work when someone is presenting a mixed message with clothes and accessories of both genders. Then the wearer/presenter needs to step up and help out.

I was asked this question last Wednesday night by Misty the bar manager, while we were talking. I told her to address me as a girl but it doesn’t bother me if someone addresses me as a guy. This GG I was sitting with is bigger than me, doesn’t wear makeup, has a deeper voice then me, and most guys for that matter. She told me she gets addressed as mister all the time.
    Love Jean

I think it should be a combination of C and E. If the person does not know who they are talking to, then they should go with C. Once they know each other transgender person needs to indicate their preference.

Richelle

Girl from the Eagles Nest reb.femme's Avatar
    As the old exam adage goes, "if in doubt, answer C".

I'm in with the majority here, pronoun as per presentation, then the person concerned can voice his/her preference. After all, I'm not a mind reader.

Rebecca
    Flying high under the spell of life!

http://www.rebsweb.co.uk

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Ann Gilbert View Post
    While I think C is the best answer, I would have liked to have seen an option for "when official records have been changed".
    Can I ask a question on that? Exactly what records?

In truth that would be one of the worst answers as it only applies to people who transition. I wanted to be called "she" as soon as that's how I looked. How do you know when they start medical treatment (we don't wear tags), How would you know when they has GRS (we don't wear tags). "Never" will get you my undying hatred...

So the real answer is...this is a question that has no answer, everyone would be different.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

I'm not going to be drawn into offering an answer because I'm not a US adult...

Interesting answers...

I too would be concerned about the prospect of 63 million people believing that TGs should never be offered any change of pronoun (simple scaling for the USA) - that is a lot of votes.... I wonder if those responses are concentrated in specific localities...?

And I suspect 'not sure' probably equals 'don't care' in most cases...

Isn't it time we had our own pronoun?

he - she - fab..?

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Silver Member
    80% surveyed indicate they support or acknowledge a pronoun gender change as appropriate. They are just not sure when. I think that is terrific progress. 10 years ago, 80% would have answered "never".

Hmm. I'll go with E "as soon as the person identifies as transgender" (although I'm not sure that this means .... transsexual? woman? bigender?), because I think it's best to ask everyone how they want to be called and referred to.

I say this because I've met a number of CDers who feel awkward being referred to as "she", or even being addressed by the female names they usually invent to join online forums.

I don't think we can assume that everyone who dresses identifies as a woman or as a mixed gender.
    Last edited by ReineD; 06-14-2015 at 02:36 PM. Reason: Oops made a mistake. "E", not "D" for "as the person identifies"
    Reine

Banned Read only
    I feel there's some confusion over the question, transgendered and transsexual appear to be lumped together, many on the forum prefer transgendered to crossdresser but it doesn't mean to permanently change gender as a TS does.
    I guess e) applies in most cases.

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Am I the only one who really doesn't care... Because I mostly go out with my wife and work colleagues I get a mix of pronouns and names, but the same is also true in boy mode at home and, increasingly at work.... I'll answer to either, regardless of what I'm wearing... I guess it's hard to break the established habits and I think its bit precious to keep correcting people. It is, however a little unusual to be told I'm a 'good girl' when I'm all bald head, suit and tie!!! Still makes me smile though!!
    Call me Donna, please

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    Can I ask a question on that? Exactly what records?

In truth that would be one of the worst answers as it only applies to people who transition. I wanted to be called "she" as soon as that's how I looked. How do you know when they start medical treatment (we don't wear tags), How would you know when they has GRS (we don't wear tags). "Never" will get you my undying hatred...

So the real answer is...this is a question that has no answer, everyone would be different.
    Records could mean anything from a driver's license to a birth certificate. I only brought it up as something to include in a survey of public opinion. I think there are some folks who won't accept a change in someone's identification unless there is a legal justification. It would be informative to know how many see things that way. As I said I go with C myself given the choices, but I think most of us believe it should be whatever and whenever the individual wants.

And my reading of the survey question is that it is specifically about people who transition. But let's not get into that whole argument again.

Bridget
    Your friendly, neighborhood cyber CD.

Like most surveys and statistics I think you really have to look at them with a large grain of salt. There are so many variables that they can easily be misconstrued and very easily be misinterpreted. unfortunately many people base important decisions on numbers without knowing what they are based on.

In this case I went to the web site (yougov.com) and did my research. After looking at the data base of transgender questions and political questions, i found it interesting to see the demographic of the voting group. I found that the largest voting group in this site, when it came to these questions was quite interesting and substantial compared to others. This group was white, southern, females, age 45-65, identifying as democrat or independent. (the last parameter was too close to call) What I found really interesting was that this group had the lowest acceptance rate towards transgenders or at least in the two pertinent questions I looked at. Then again this was just a quick snapshot, though I thought it would be the opposite.
    Okay, that said and sorry, I love analogizing stats. For me noun of these answers are correct nor is the question valid. It's too general and too open. It really depends on the person and what they prefer you address them as. I'll use the pronoun as they present, unless they tell me differently and if I'm not sure I'll ask and respect their wishes.
    but that's just me and my two cents...
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Ezekiel View Post
    Crossdressing does not make you any less of a man, even if society leads people believe so.
    Hmmm. Being crossdressed certainly makes you less manly, so how far do we split this particular hair? We bend over backwards to feminise ourselves, shaving our chest and leg hair, wearing fake boobs, being gentler, more in touch with our emotions, but we still want to be thought of as men? Who are we kidding?

The answer clearly is C, but would I have known that before I joined CD.com? I'm not 100% sure.
    I used to have a short attention spa

Quote Originally Posted by Bridget Ann Gilbert View Post
    Records could mean anything from a driver's license to a birth certificate. I only brought it up as something to include in a survey of public opinion.
    but again I ask...how would you know? It would be a moot question because anyone can get a name change...some states let you change gender marker without hormones....

I fully understand the survey, like MOST surveys it is skewed to get the answers the researcher wants.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,