Thread: Another step!

Another step!

Today I took down my male version on Facebook. I then started my page as Suzanne. Anyone is welcome to come by, Suzanne Ford in Novato, CA. I am planning on coming out at work next April. I have had an Instagram account as Suzanne but Facebook can be seen by coworkers. My wife had asked me not to come out yet there since we were friends. Not everyone she works with knows that I am transitioning. I have honored her wish to disclose as she chooses.

The Caitlyn Jenner issue brought me to my decision. I couldn't stand by as some people commented. Many of my friends on Facebook know that I live as Suzanne but many from my childhood were not aware. I told my wife I thought it was time. So I deactivated my account and came out as Suzanne. I then sent more than 60 friend requests. My first post explained that I had been going through the process for over two years and that I was transitioning. I posted a profile picture of me in a sweater dress and then posted a picture of me and my kids from this Christmas.

The responses were overwhelming. I am amazed at the support I received. Yes some people never responded to my friend request. Hopefully, more will confirm tomorrow. No matter, the ones that did respond are enough. All day I checked my page as people commented.

Suzanne

Why didn't you just change your name on your male account? That's what I did. I changed my name and gender.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Who would not like Suzanne? I don't understand.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    I did the same, I created a new account for Rianna then controlled which of my former facebook friends would be accepted onto Rianna's page. Robert had been a bit of a facebook-friend-oholic.
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Suzanne;

Given that I'll be making my official debut at work WW on June 26 I spent much of last weekend de tangling Facebook, LinkedIn, and every other social networking environment. It's quite a daunting task but necessary in my view... Clean break... Clean start. Additionally not sure how it's being handled for you but our HR provides for a full change of name, ID, email and everything in advance of final official name change documents which is helping considerably. This makes you think about all the web logins tied to your email that also need to be changed in case you have login or password issue in the future. For the most part old me goes on June 26 and new improved me hits the net with a bang �� of updates. Someone needs to write a guide on this as it take a lot of thought and be carefully orchestrated in parallel with other coming out processes.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Social media was, for a long time, considered entertainment. It has grown up, and is a very important part of daily life.

I too chose to close my old account and start anew. It gave me a chance to clear some deadwood. It also forced people to take notice. Change your name, and gender on your old page, and most of your friends won't notice. They'll just think your posts got really weird.

Suzanne- You came out on FB. You don't need to come out at work next April, you just did. There are no privacy settings on FB no matter what you 'settings' are.

Anyway. Congrats. Coming out on FB is a huge step

Jennifer. Good point, there are a bazillion guides to transition that list changing bank accts. utilities, passports etc. and they make no mention of social media accts.
    Last edited by I Am Paula; 06-13-2015 at 07:54 AM.

Gold Member
    To each our own on how we handle it. I had side business groups and people built into my Facebook experience, so it was actually easier to deactivate what I call my "stealth account" and change his to hers. But I also see others that want a clean break from some, or all, of their past. It is definitely something to think over ahead of time.

The best of luck to your Suzanne! I found out which friends were checking Facebook with weeks in-between instead of days or months. So I did have three that I had to explain things again more than two months after transition and one at 6 months. Not a big deal for me. The replies were "so you are still my friend, right?". Just don't be caught off guard by the delays.