Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kicking the habit

Kicking the habit

Hello everyone. I suspect this post won't be popular, but I wanted to drop a note here and encourage anyone wanting to stop crossdressing (I realize it's not a popular option!) that it is possible. I am a closeted dresser who was very active buying clothes and dressing behind my wife's back frequently back from about 2005-2008. Somewhere around 2008 I decided enough was enough and after a couple of purges I had not purchased any more fem items and am very happy living my life putting my dressing desires away. I have 2 very young kids, and decided to put it away mostly for them and my wife. I felt personally it was the less complicated option. I know many of you will disagree and that's your opinion. But to some who may read this looking for any encouragement - it IS possible to stop (although a struggle sometimes) and you CAN do it if you want to.

Good luck everyone!

Yet you still visit a site dedicated to CD's ... just to tell us that ??
    Seems you haven't completely given up...
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Yeah, they're going to try to tear you down but I say via con dios, may the force be with you, keep on truckin' and all that.

Banned Read only
    I went more than 14 years without doing anything. Look at me now - I'm a woman.

Good luck, Keyplayer74. You are not the first person to try this. Odds are, you'll fail like everyone else here has.

I hope you make it. As best any of us can tell, you are stuck with this.

I'm really sorry.

Keyplayer, I am glad that your life and marriage are working out for you and I would agree that not dressing is your choice to make. I have always dressed, ergo my screen name, and therefore know that I always will. I was upfront with my fiancee when we met about my dressing, she is accepting and encouraging and I see no need to stop. I believe that it is my being honest with who I am and being honest with my fiancee that allows me to be happy and healthy.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Do what works for you congratulations.

I fully understand how important a wife and kids are and that you need to put that commitment first. I hope that it continues to work well for you.

Hugs, Bria

Hey! Thanks for checking in...

And in history, telling it like it is for you has often been an unpopular pursuit - but I suspect that isn't going to worry you, and nor should it.

I believe we are a site dedicated to the support of CDs, their families and friends - which doesn't necessarily align with the promotion of the activity, and for those who want to give up it's completely fair and right that your post gives them the reassurance that it is possible (I believe it is too, for some of us ) and that you're prepared to stay around (or at least return once.. ) to tell everyone is a genuinely, generous act.

My further belief is that most of those who do manage to control this don't bother coming back to tell their stories, which is a shame, and is why you telling yours is all the more important.

I'm not convinced everyone could stop if they wanted - I think that depends a lot on the how, what and why of how this affects you as an individual, but it's a positive message for those who can and who want to.

Thanks for sharing it and you have my best wishes for your life and family.

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    It think it just further reinforces that we are all so different. There's not one, or even a few pigeonholes we can be rammed into...
    Best of luck to you....
    Call me Donna, please

Good for you and your decision and the will power to stop. On a personal note I stopped drinking, smoking and drugs so I believe your reasoning is sound. I stopped CDing for almost 20 yrs. but then I started again and do not wish to stop as I grow as a person even at my age.
    "you are a strange species and there are many out there;shall I tell you what I find beautiful about you ,you are at your best when things are at their worst" ...[ Starman]
    It may of course be a bit disturbing to sense that one is really not so firmly anchored to the gender one was born into.

Aspiring Member
    To put your wife and children above your own desires is worth applauding. Good luck with your decision. Live in the present. Who knows what tomorrow will bring.

Ineke

Aspiring Member
    Yes thanks for posting this. I believe there are a lot more on these boards who really deep down wish to cease and desist the behavior. Plenty have tried and failed. I believe it is possible for some and not others. Every few months I'll come to the same conclusions as yourself. I have told cd friends if there is ever a reason to stop it is when I look into the eyes of my 4 year old. That would have to do it. So far I have been unsuccessful. I was able to stop for a month and a half about a year ago before my body and mind began to ache so bad for it I thought I was going to lose it. I literally had to do it.
    Once back en femme I felt such a calmness in spirit it was unexplainable. It was akin to coming back home after a long trip away.
    Would it be the best thing to do for everyone involved to stop? My rational mind says hell yes. I believe there's more on here that would say the same thing.

Hi Key,

Thanks for this.

In life, there are priorities, and there are PRIORITIES. It sounds like you have your PRIORITIES in their proper place. YAY!!!

I'm a more recent member, but you joined in 2005, and have only 86 posts...I don't see that as a bad thing. So I am only going to make a couple of quick comments, especially since I have no knowledge of your life's circumstances, nor do I need to. It's YOUR life, not mine, so please keep at it the best you can.

My comments?

1. The CDing thing will not go away. But there is a phrase about cooking on a stove top: "The back burner". While I believe that the CDing is always going to be with you, when life's priorities dictate, then yes, putting things on the back burner for a while is very possible. So Well done on your part!!!!!

2. Yes, you are still dropping in here, but not very often. Not very often at all since 2005. But to me, that makes me want to pay special attention to what you have to say. Your life will go on, and in 5 years, or 10, or whenever, please know that we'll still be here(I hope!!!)

In your Post, you made no judgements. You said absolutely nothing critical of anyone in any way...Well done!!

We are all on a Journey, CD's or not, and I believe that your kind and encouraging words will be read by someone who needs to hear them. And if only one person reads them, then it makes it a worthwhile starting point for them in regards to an alternative approach.

The CDing will always be there, no way around that, but what we do on one stage of our Journeys doesn't mean that in another stage circumstances won't change. As far as your stage right now, I am very happy for you!!!!!

Carry on. Keep in touch:-)

Jaye

P.S.: Edited to add: When I was younger, eons before the internet, all I knew was that there was something weird with me. I got married, raised two children, and occasionally tried on my wife's nylons when no one else was around, and never once thought that I was sacrificing anything to carry on the functions of a husband and father...Those decades are passed now, and I'm having the time of my life with an incredible freedom.

But I have NO REGRETS of the time my CDing was on the back burner.It all comes down to priorities:-)
    Last edited by JayeLefaye; 06-13-2015 at 06:43 PM.
    Satchel was right, something is gaining on me...And God bless the creator of e-cigs!

Platinum Member

Crossdressing Is Like Being In The Mafia, You Just Can't Quit !

Hi KP, You started when you were thirty and only did it for three years, Try quitting after you've done it for 68 yrs.
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 06-13-2015 at 06:40 PM.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Good thread! Please keep us updated as to your progress. It is always good to read alternative points of view. Good luck in your journey. Peace, mel

Banned Read only
    Hi Key,

As long as you are happy and are being productive in your life, that is all that matters. I am quite happy with the decisions I have made for and about myself over the years. It works for me! Enjoy life.

Hi Key,
    I am proud of you for setting your priorities of family first! I did basically the same thing and now that the nest is empty I returned to CDing, but I am not saying you will!!! Good luck to you and yours
    Sometimes I like to dress as Linda Leigh

WARNING:Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies , projects or any other reasons You DO NOT have permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or forum both current and future. If you have or do, it will be considered a violation of my privacy and will be subject to legal ramifications.

Well Kp74, hope your not like me, I stopped crossdressing from about 1982 til 2012 to save my marriage. My wife passed away in 2009, and it took over 2 years to get past the guilt, then the flood gates opened. Even tho it popped into my mind now and then during those years, I was working 65 to 80 hours a week, so didn't have time to even worry about it much. But as I look back over my life, I feel as the years went by, I was just putting more water behind a not so worthy dam. The dam burst and now all I can think of is transition. Just haven't been able to pull the trigger on it yet.
    Let me just say, in my case, I could never understand why people always accused me of being an angry and never happy guy, now I know it was do to all the repression.
    So I wish you luck. But like others have said, we are all different, so you may be fine forever. Just be aware if people start asking you why you are so angry when you don't even feel angry.
    Tina

Banned Read only
    i dressed and was active for almost 5 yrs. then we moved and our son had friends over more,and friends dropping by,so i stopped for 10 yrs. then our son got a life outside the house,so its me and the wife and dressing has come back hard...10 yrs is the longest dry spell if that says something..if one says they can quit are delusional.

Gone to live my life
    Everyone has to make decisions about their lives and you have made one to pursue life with your family and that is a noble pursuit. Will you return someday and say "Hey I am back" . . . the balance of probabilities say yes. However what does it matter as you are living in the here and now, have spent several years not dressing and are happy with your choice. I say congrats and good luck. If you do return someday, again that will be your choice. Enjoy your family and life as we only get one shot at life.

Hugs

Isha

In life there are priorities and there's always things that are more important than others, family being at the top of that list. You appear to have yours in order and that is an admirable thing. However you choose to view it is at your own option; just don't be too surprised if it comes back once you've done whatever you need to for others.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

That's great! If the shoe fits this way why not, after all nothing is carved in stone you could always come back. It's amazing what you can do when you have a good reason to do it and put your mind to it. Good luck and you don't have to be a stranger, let's us know how it's going.

Platinum Member
    And in 2012 your posts indicate you were shopping for clothes. So, it seems that your period of abstention was a bit shorter than the 7 years indicated above. Three years is but a moment in the life of a cross dresser. If your happy at the moment, that's fine, but I can assure you that many of us have abstained or endured for far longer periods, out of choice or necessity.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Senior Member Nikkilovesdresses's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Keyplayer74 View Post
    ...very happy living my life putting my dressing desires away.
    I notice myself using the phrase 'putting away' in reference to suppressing crossdressing habits. IMO it's a dead giveaway that the person in question isn't actually stopping crossdressing, they're simply putting it on a back burner. It acknowledges the possibility of resuming the habit once the whim returns.

Quote Originally Posted by JayeLefaye View Post
    ...there is a phrase about cooking on a stove top: "The back burner".
    Oddly enough this is one of the most surprising urban myths of recent times. In fact it's a misunderstood quote from a NASA press statement of 1977 concerning rocket stage-separation snags on an Apollo mission: "We're putting it on the back burner" referred to a successful ad hoc solution involving the unplanned firing of a 2nd stage rocket to forcibly detach the malfunctioning 1st stage section.

Another little known fact is that Buzz Aldrin got his nick-name from his college partying habits and, rumour has it, wore 12-denier pantyhose under his space suit because it prevented chafing around his upper thighs.

xxNikki
    Last edited by Nikkilovesdresses; 06-14-2015 at 07:38 AM. Reason: Further thoughts
    I used to have a short attention spa

Nondressing CDer ReluctantDebutant's Avatar
    Keyplayer74, you are not alone. I too have ceased cross-dressing. I am hesitant to use the "quit" because while I disagree with those who say you can never stop cross-dressing they are only partially correct, it never goes away 100%. But much of it does go away, especially the big part the thrill from physically dressing. I am at a point where I don't feel any urge or see the need to dress anymore. This isn't repression, folks. Repression is a struggle and is what I would feel in my earlier failed attempts to quit. This is new, this is letting it go, this is about seeing cross-dressing from a whole new perspective. I have held on to cross-dressing as a fun fantasy but have dropped the need to dress and found I don't really want to dress it isn't anywhere near the top of my priorities list and I can't really see it getting back up there.

Oh yeah almost forgot. Why come back here?

I would say many who have reached a similar conclusion as Keyplayer74 and myself have probably left this site or never join. Leaving only those who have the narrative that cross-dressing will always dominate one's life. But I believe this is a forum for all cross-dressers of all stripes even ones who have hung up their dress for the last time or while only dress when there is a comet visible in the sky. I believe it is important to share the experiences of this side of cross-dressing even though it is hard to express (How does one start a post "Didn't wear panties today and was alright" here? It would be ridiculous.) This is not about telling people the should stop cross-dressing but about letting it be known that people can stop cross-dressing.

I have also found reading posts here helpful to me in lessening my cross-dressing. It has been helpful to read other points of view and different perspectives than mine.
    Last edited by ReluctantDebutant; 06-14-2015 at 09:18 AM.