Thread: the one good thing

Silver Member

the one good thing

It is another Caitlyn Jenner thread. I'm sorry, I do get tired of all the Jenner talk too.

But there has been some real good from it all. My mom brought this to light in personal way for me recently. She was driving me home from the airport in Boise a couple nights ago after I had been away in Thailand for the last 5 weeks getting my SRS (so wonderful to have that done) and she brought up the subject of Jenner and all the recent talk and attention about transgender stuff. She told me it has helped her as she is less afraid for me and understands it little better.It makes her feel like it is more okay.

My mom has struggled so much the last 5 - 6 years with being able to accept me and think the Jenner has had a positive impact on her.

I have not liked all the publicity and media attention on trans stuff that jenner has brought but that is one very about it all is she is having a positive impact on a lot of people.

Just wanted to share that here.
    Last edited by arbon; 06-19-2015 at 04:34 PM.

Silver Member
    Welcome home, Theresa.

I've been pretty happy with the CJ coverage. I will say that I'm still a little nervous about the upcoming show. Enough may be enough, plus I don't want anything to spoil all the positives that have already come about. My wife doesn't like what she perceives as sexualization and exploitation.

CJ's story has had mixed implications for me, however I might perceive it. In some ways, my wife accompanying me to the therapist yesterday was a direct outcome ... but not on the basis of a 100% positive reception. (Long story.)

It sounds like it triggered something positive for you, though. I'm happy for you!
    Lea

Nice to know she's ok with you and you're healthy again after the surgery.

P.S. may I PM you about your srs info in Thailand. I was there too for 4 years and was researching where I can get it done.

My Ship has sailed? Barbara Ella's Avatar
    Glad you are back and recovering well from your surgery. Glad the CJ story has helped. I feel it has also helped a bit with my wife as it has slightly lessened her fear of the community knowing. I live with that. She has no trouble with my activities, my slow transition, aslong as it is at home or in other cities. Sigh. I can understand how those women who are in public, living their life might not want the extra PR. I am hopeful continual positive reinforcement will lower some resistances.

Barbara
    He (she) who would learn to fly one day must first learn to stand and walk and run and climb and dance.
    - Friedrich Nietzche -
    I may never get to fly like the other girls, but I do so want to dance, so I continue to climb.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Veron1ca View Post

P.S. may I PM you about your srs info in Thailand. I was there too for 4 years and was researching where I can get it done.

hi Veronica, I can talk to you about what I did, but you cannot pm yet as you don't have enough posts.

Congratulations on your surgery!

I agree with you that Kaitlyn's reveal is helping close family members understand this a little better. There must be some comfort for a mother or a wife in knowing that her transitioning child or spouse is not alone. I do think that Caitlyn helps to deliver a degree of credibility to the process in that the people who love you and other TSs want to find affirmation, they want to know that the rest of the world is becoming "OK" with the idea there are individuals who are not happy with their birth sex. The media is handling this respectfully, reports of Caitlyn's family members, her friends and other public personalities are also supportive, and all of this is helpful as well.

But the people who are not related or married to TSs and who out of ignorance do not agree with the concept of transition, are so far not having a change of heart just based on listening to Caitlyn's story. I live in the midwest. The other day I was getting my haircut and was the last customer at the salon. Four or five of the stylists (all women ranging in age from their 30s to 50s) were sitting and chatting nearby, waiting for the doors to close. They were discussing Caitlyn and the opinions were not good. They kept referring to her as Bruce and "he", they were sympathetic to Kris Jenner, they were critical of Caitlyn's presentation on the Vanity Fair cover, all the while saying "of course he should live how he wants to, but ..." It was very much a rolling of the eyes with a "well, you know those Hollywood types and the Kardashians!" attitude. I was not invited to join the conversation but I did ask my stylist what she thought. She said that she wouldn't want to be married to someone like Bruce, and what a shame because he was such a good looking man. She asked what I thought and I told her that a good friend transitioned years ago and is happy. I did add that my friend is a contractor by trade and she presents like the rest of us. She looks feminine with her hair piled up on top of her head, wearing blue jeans and work boots during the week. My friend is only 5'6 and she transitioned before she moved to this area and so no one here has ever seen her as a male. I further added that in my opinion, Caitlyn's transition will not be easy because it is public and it will be difficult for the world to stop thinking of her as a former-man given her renown and her past achievements as a male.
    Reine

Hi Arbon.
    Pleased to see you are back from the correcting the birth defects, It has been quite the epic story of you becoming your self here in Idaho. I wish and pray that you get to live the life that you have yearned for. So happy for you.

Gold Member
    I must be the oddball (insert joke here) that hasn't had Caitlyn brought up by friends or coworkers once. I believe I have had two or three discussions with other LGBTQ community members over what we thought would be the impact, and with my wife, but no one who is looking for or gained more understanding.

Theresa, I am glad it is helping you. That is what advocacy is suppose to do. She may not be advocating yet specifically, but it is in effect. I hope for your mother that this doesn't just advance the discussion, but brings a much greater acceptance.

Platinum Member
    It's that kind of personal connection to a national story that makes a real difference in people's perspectives.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Those who know me as trans have brought up how wonderful the Caitlyn Jenner story is, and claim to finally know what I've been thru'. Caitlyn's storebought beauty comes up, and my answer is always the same. Money has always bought beauty.
    In general, nothing but good has come from the CJ story.

I did not know that about PMs.

But yes I'd be very interested. I'm planning on getting boobs in Rattanathibet at Deluxe. I've had some very good reviews and results from there. But I'm still curious about where to go for SRS.

Welcome home Arbon. Happy to hear all went well. As for the CJ thing I feel enough is enough as well.
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    Welcome home, Theresa.

I will say that I'm still a little nervous about the upcoming show. Enough may be enough,
    I feel the same way about it and wish there was not going to be a show.

Congratulations and welcome home. I hope everything is going well for you.