Thread: Is there such a thing as too much happiness?

Is there such a thing as too much happiness?

I am now at 3 months on HRT (and 3 more days being full-time woman), and since about a week, I think I am doing some sort of existential crisis, or I wonder if it is an effect of the hormones (becoming too emotional). Or maybe I was in the pink fog for three months and I am now back to reality. I am seeking for some advice or opinion. I made a request to get an appointment with my gender therapist, which will be probably in several days from now, but I am looking for different opinions.

I have had gender dysphoria since as long as I remember, but it started to be a real problem when I was 11. That was 22 years ago. Part of the solution was becoming a CD about 10 years ago. But it was not enough anymore, I starting to feel really miserable a few months ago. Coming to this forum and sharing my secret garden was a relief, at least temporary, until I hit the bottom again (I know it didn't look like with my smiles in my gallery pictures, those were genuine but rare). When I switched to full-time Karolyn on March 15th, before starting HRT (yes, I was in a hurry), it is like a dream came true. But starting that day, it is like my previous life did not happen. I was happy, living my life as Karolyn, with absolutely everyone supporting me in my adventure. I am very lucky I did not get a single negative remark from anyone (family, friends, coworkers, strangers), which made it absolutely ... weird.

That is not right. How is that possible? For some reason, I have been waiting for the moment someone would say something hurtful, or give me a bad look. But nothing. And that's where I started to realize something, it is as if I was dreaming. Or was I completely blind to my environment (not realizing people's opinion of my transition) and thinking people instantly accepted me? I just can't find an answer by myself now. That last possibility actually scares me badly.

So I started to have that feeling that I was not living in reality, not being in a simulation (like in the Matrix movie) and not being in a dream (that would be a crazy long dream), but in a reality that I built in my head. A world in which I built my own rules to finally reach the level of happiness I looked for my entire life, but a world that filters what I don't want to hear or see.

In the last few days, I started to think a lot about my past life, and how many countless times I dreamed of my dream life that would never happen (because I was too scared of losing everything if I transition). I was thinking about the large events (like telling my family and friends or going to work dressed) and about smaller details (being able to wear what I want, having a body that matches who I am (breast for example)). Thinking that now all of that is real is what makes me think: is it real? Because it was such an unreachable goal that I cannot realize if it is really happening.

Since I could not be happy as a boy when I was younger (and I had absolutely no idea transitions existed, not even crossdressing), I resolved myself to be happy another way. I did it in different ways: having a good career after working hard at school, getting my own house and car, having lots of hobbies, etc. and most important, having a family that loves me and friends I can rely on. But there was a large part missing, being happy with myself. After I started my transition, I discovered true happiness. I felt it different ways, but one was that feeling of being very light in my upper torso, and having a really easy breathing (happened the first time as CD, but then multiple times as TG). I lived my happy life in the last three months, but it started to become a routine (which was my goal anyway), and now, I'm feeling weird. Is it possible that I got too much of it? Is there such a thing as too much happiness and doing a saturation?

Did I just leave the pink fog? Or is it hormones starting to modify my way of thinking? Or is it just an existential crisis that all TGs do somewhere during their transition?

Maybe you have read too much here about their trials and tribulations of others on your same path or who have at least followed that path to where they are today. Maybe you feel that you are cheating the system and not suffering as others have. I can only say that every path appears to be similar in that path and continue to be happy. If someone else struggles and suffers, it does not mean that you must experience that too. Talking with your therapist is a good idea, and hopefully they can help you through this moment.

Banned Read only
    There is nothing wrong with you or your world. What is happening to you is exactly what we before you have strived for all these years, a hassle free environment in which to change and become the person you need to be. Enjoy and be thankful and pass it on.

Quote Originally Posted by Karolyn View Post
    So I started to have that feeling that I was not living in reality, not being in a simulation (like in the Matrix movie) and not being in a dream (that would be a crazy long dream), but in a reality that I built in my head. A world in which I built my own rules to finally reach the level of happiness I looked for my entire life, but a world that filters what I don't want to hear or see.
    I totally know that feeling. I have sometimes figured that the "dream" has been so wonderful and continung that maybe I've been in a coma for a couple of years. I raised this coma concept with Eryn once and she offered an interesting response, "Would it matter?"

She's right (of course) but as time went by I realized that I would never be bright enough to "invent" such a complex level of detail so it must be real life.

The real key to me seems to be to accept your blessings and to enjoy each and every moment. As the opening theme of The Jeffersons said, "It took a whole lot of tryin' just to get up that hill."

Live! Laugh! Love! And help others along the way.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

I think Jorja put it very well.
    It doesn't hurt to get some help from a professional, to allay your concerns. At the same time, enjoy the reality that things are going well for you.

Gold Member
    I like Allie's take. I am over 8 months since transition and had been working through the same feelings. I have exactly what I wanted in my transition, maybe even more. You would think I would kick back in the rocking chair and live it. And I am. There is a guilt with me that I didn't have the negativity that many experience and I had to get that out of my mind. I managed to offset that by volunteering some of my time (okay a lot).

So give it some time to level out. There is no doubt that we are beneficiaries of those that did this before us and we are making it better for those after us. It is a wonderful thing and should be treasured. Let go of the concerns, let go of the guilt. Embrace the life!

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar
    Karolyn... I agree with sue... Embrace your life. I'm in similar state and regularly use the word surreal. I've come a very long way to get to the point of implementing my transition in earnest at the beginning of the year. Here I am today fully out in my personal life, and on the verge of being officially fully out at work that stems from a well planned and orchestrated process which began back in March quietly beginning the disclosure process. Friday it become official across the entire organization. Last week I had a bit of a "soft launch" with 700 folks in the org. I can safely say I'm on ☁️9 and have been that way for many months... And no it's not the hormones... It's the complete unburdening of my old self and the emergence of who I've kept bottled up for oh so many years. Response has been overwhelming positive.

I do firmly believe that the acceptance from others is a clear indication of who you are in their eyes and the confidence you project and this has been confirmed by many of those I've disclosed my transition to over the past few weeks.

I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truely to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am and I do not see this changing. I give thanks daily and find myself regularly just smiling or giggling for no reason knowing I've finally made it. Are the speed bumps ahead yeah but you know there's a force within me that has the strength, courage, and confidence to overcome whatever.

Something tells me youre feeling something similar. Don't question it... Embrace it while at the same time take on the challenges as they come. No point looking for them.

Just my thoughts....

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Thanks for your kind responses. I really appreciate As you understood it well, I was not trying to complain for being too happy or anything like that, I was just trying to understand if my new life and how it feels makes me blind from my environment. So far, I asked people around me if they heard anything bad said about me, and they said no. They sounded genuine.

Quote Originally Posted by AllieSF View Post
    Maybe you have read too much here about their trials and tribulations of others on your same path or who have at least followed that path to where they are today. Maybe you feel that you are cheating the system and not suffering as others have. I can only say that every path appears to be similar in that path and continue to be happy. If someone else struggles and suffers, it does not mean that you must experience that too.
    That actually makes a lot of sense. I remarked that in general, in any forum or website that has comments (for any topic), the people that reply are typically the ones that have something negative to say, either to try to find a solution, or to vent. And I made an assumption that is actually wrong: everyone does not reply on this forum about their new life. I guess that people who are very happy with their new life are not commenting much, since that is all they were looking for, and it becomes "normal", the routine.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    There is nothing wrong with you or your world. What is happening to you is exactly what we before you have strived for all these years, a hassle free environment in which to change and become the person you need to be. Enjoy and be thankful and pass it on.
    Thanks, that is exactly what happened, and I'm glad. I went from the bottom to the highest point of my life in a few months, and that feels so great!

Quote Originally Posted by Persephone View Post
    I raised this coma concept with Eryn once and she offered an interesting response, "Would it matter?"
    That is definitely an interesting response, and yes, it does not matter actually. Even if there are a few people saying bad comments in my back, if I don't hear about it and continue thinking that everyone accepts me this way, that puts me in a much better environment in my mind.

Quote Originally Posted by justmetoo View Post
    It doesn't hurt to get some help from a professional, to allay your concerns.
    I got my appointment for July 2nd, in a week and a half. That will give me enough time to continue thinking about it and ask the right questions to her.

Quote Originally Posted by Sue View Post
    There is a guilt with me that I didn't have the negativity that many experience and I had to get that out of my mind. I managed to offset that by volunteering some of my time (okay a lot).
    Congratulations on your side for such a successful transition I am actually trying to help other people for gender related issues now, usually by talking to them in person, but also online. Once I am a few more months into my transition, I think I will be more comfortable talking to other people about it and help them find the path they are looking for.

And Jennifer, thanks for your reply, you gave me a little tear while reading your post One of my friends was asking why I was looking for the challenges or problems. He told me to just ignore them, not look for them, and handle them as they come. That is exactly what you said, so I will.
    Last edited by Karolyn; 06-22-2015 at 10:38 PM. Reason: Added response to Jennifer

Karolyn,
    I am at 2 months on HRT. I am out everywhere except work but I mostly do that from my home office. I will be coming out at work in about 9 or 10 months. I too am the happiest I have ever been! No it is not just the hormones! I have finally allowed myself to exist. This has been done with the love and support of my family and great community of friends. Yes I am blessed to be surrounded by great people. I also am in debt to people like Jorja who blazed this trail. Then I met Allie and Rachael who showed me it was possible! So yes I have lost a few people, parents and a church in the process. Ok too bad they are missing out on an opportunity to love me and my family. I am not going to let their reaction define my transition. I have people to love and help and be with that need me! So no I don't think you are too happy. I celebrate you and your choice to be you!

Suzanne

I had these same feelings. I am 2 years on HRT and consider my transition complete save some physical adjustments. My guilt came from the happiness because deep down I felt I didn't deserve to be happy. Not because others had a tougher time of it then myself but because my whole life all I knew was inner sadness, inner happiness was a foreign feeling to me. Thanks to the support from my family and friends I have come to realize that even I deserve to be happy as long as it causes no one else physical harm. There are still days when I am alone, driving or something, and I smile to myself at the joy and happiness I now have.

Rachel
    My parents should have known something wasn't quite right when I kept putting Kens' head on Barbies' body Rachel Smith May 2017

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC][SIZE="3"]Experience is what you get when you don't get what you want. Dan Stanford[/SIZE][/SIZE]

I used to feel like one in a million now with this forum I feel like one OF a million

“We must be willing to let go of the life we planned so as to have the life that is waiting for us.” ― Joseph Campbell