Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: I was called "Caitlyn Jenner"

I was called "Caitlyn Jenner"

Sorry for another Caitlyn Jenner thread, I know the brew ha ha is probably getting old.

This afternoon, I was walking from my car to the supermarket to pick up a few things. A woman yells "hi Caitlyn Jenner" to me. I first ignored her but then decided to approach her and talk to her. She was with a friend. We spoke briefly about being trans. He said that he has an aunt who is transgender. They asked me a few questions about being trans, just the usual stuff that we sometimes get asked by others because we're trans. The woman said how she liked my energy and how I seemed happy. She asked me what my zodiac sign was. She also complimented me on my dress.

Anyways, this thread isn't about me. I am just wondering, has anyone else actually been called Caitlyn Jenner by a complete stranger? As if someone calling you Caitlyn Jenner is a way of saying they know you're trans, or some subtle way of teasing you about being trans?
    Last edited by Michelle789; 06-23-2015 at 04:40 PM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I've not been called Caitlyn YET.
    Yesterday in line at the supermarket, I picked up THE Vanity Fair. The woman in front of me said 'Why would anybody do that to themselves.' I said 'I did, and it saved my life'. She looked shocked for a second, then said 'Yeah, but you look normal'.
    I have no idea what she meant, but I don't think she was being transphobic in any way. Might even have been a compliment.

I was called Chaz Bono once. No lie

Platinum Member
    I must say, it was a bit crass and presumptuous of this woman to call you that. I like e way you handled it.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    I would have responded my name is Michelle not Caitlyn. Don't ever forget that! Then I might have had a conversation with her.

I guess i'd have a problem

I'd have to say "my name is not Caitlyn, its Kaitlyn"

I male mode at my local coffee shop and a young girl told me that I looked like Caitlyn Jenner. My only give away, I think .....???, was my long hair in a pony tail. I smiled and thanked her for the compliment.

Um, wow, that's a weird one. I wonder if it'll catch on as a non-pejorative codeword for someone to probe if you're trans? (I hope not.)

If someone called me that, I'd say "Optometry department is that-away, my dear..."

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    I'd have to say "my name is not Caitlyn, its Kaitlyn"
    That's a great quote. Do you mind if I interview you? Maybe the network will pick it up as "Dianne interviewing Kaitlyn" ?
    Last edited by Dianne S; 06-23-2015 at 09:03 PM. Reason: Merged two consecutive posts

Gold Member
    I haven't had it or any other name used to address me....yet.

Quote Originally Posted by I Am Paula View Post
    Yesterday in line at the supermarket, I picked up THE Vanity Fair. The woman in front of me said 'Why would anybody do that to themselves.' I said 'I did, and it saved my life'. She looked shocked for a second, then said 'Yeah, but you look normal'.
    I think you ran into someone who had no experience to derive a good thought from. Now she has an education and may look at it positively since a real person was in front of her instead of a magazine cover.

Banned Read only
    I like the way you handled it as well...start a conversation, we're real people and have an interesting story to tell for sure!

A couple years back just after I cut off about 12" of my hair, my niece told me that she was bummed, that I had this Bruce Jenner thing going on.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

Guess you need some work on your presentation.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Reality Check
    That's pretty much what I was going to say.

My mom called me Caitlyn Jenner when I was leaving her house the other day since my hair is so long.....she still doesn't know yet...
    You're a Daisy if you do! -Doc Holliday

Here's to being called Normal. Even if it was backhanded, it was a compliment from her.

Quote Originally Posted by stefan37 View Post
    Guess you need some work on your presentation.
    Quote Originally Posted by Krisi View Post
    That's pretty much what I was going to say.
    That isn't very nice.
    Like a corpse deep in the earth I'm so alone, restless thoughts torment my soul, as fears they lay confirmed, but my life has always been this way - Virginia Astley, "Some Small Hope" (1986)
    Sunlight falls, my wings open wide. There's a beauty here I cannot deny - David Sylvian, "Orpheus" (1987)

On its face the comment sounds cruel. Getting read while passing a stranger that is far enough to that they have to yell. There must be clues that tipped her off. As a 58+ transitioner, I lived full-time for over 18 months without the benefit of FFS. I experienced my fair share of humiliation and misgendering. I would then think about what it was our ask somebody with me what they thought.

Unfortunately not everybody our there is so Polly Anna, that they just accept us and respect us. We need to work that much harder on erasing those male cues that give us away.

I was with my ex the other week getting lumber loaded on my truck. That asked if us ladies would like help and they offered to load the truck. I needed to load it a certain way, so I just jumped in and started to move it where it was needed. Afterward my ex said they were looking at me funny. I asked if my facial surgery was a failure. She replied no it was that way I moved. So yeah there are clues and if a stranger can pick up on them from a distance, then some more work is needed. That's the cruel fact.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

When I first read this, it didn't sit well with me -- it sounded like an insult. But then I started thinking about why she would have said that. Are there people who had no idea what a transgender person was before Caitlyn Jenner came out? It's as if she thinks Caitlyn Jenner is the original, and all others follow in her footsteps.

Quote Originally Posted by Kaitlyn Michele View Post
    ..."my name is not Caitlyn, its Kaitlyn"
    Well, you could text it...

Lallie
    Time for a change.

Quote Originally Posted by Sara Jessica View Post
    That isn't very nice.

I think it would be nice to get some feedback from people who know me personally to find out what cues are responsible for getting me clocked. Saying "you need work" won't do a thing. Telling me what I should work on, objectively, will work - meaning don't say something just to be nice, and don't say something just to be mean. One difficulty I have is finding people who can be objective - most people are either too nice or too mean. I could decide that the people who are being too mean are telling the truth, but if that's the case than I really do have Aspergers and I really am going down a path of self-destruction.

My feeling is there are many not just one. The lucky ones have only one cue to work on. I believe my voice is one, and there are at least two others. I didn't open my mouth and she read me from a distance. I do still suspect people might be a bit more vocal about clocking us since Caitlyn came out.

Here is a picture of me with Jeffrey Tambor. I met him at Trans Pride on Saturday. I'm wearing the blue dress. Any cues from this picture that could get me read? And can it be corrected? I say that because there are some things that just can't be corrected. I know you can't pick up movements from a pic, but we can at least get visual cues.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Last edited by Michelle789; 06-24-2015 at 08:48 PM.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

Silver Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Michelle789 View Post
    I'm wearing the blue dress. Any cues from this picture that could get me read?
    Yes. Absolutely.

… It's the fact that you are sitting with Jeffrey Tambor.

(I detest that show.)
    Lea

You look completely feminine to me. But you're sitting down... how tall are you when you stand up? Maybe that made you noticeable?

I'm 6 foot tall.

Quote Originally Posted by LeaP View Post
    … It's the fact that you are sitting with Jeffrey Tambor.
    This picture is from Saturday. I got called Caitlyn Jenner on Tuesday and I was not with Jeffrey Tambor on Tuesday. I'm just giving you my most recent picture so you can see what I look like.
    Last edited by Michelle789; 06-24-2015 at 08:53 PM.

Pictures are not the answer. Being 'read' is rarely about your look. It's almost always about your presentation and that includes everything from hairstyle to posture.

From the pic with Tambor I can see that you are carrying weight in a way that is typical for males. That alone isn't likely to 'out' you but if you add in voice, and mannerisms, and height, and posture, and gait, then you're as good as read, if you don't score female on most of those.

I can tell you from experience that it's the little things that linger into the first years that will get you every time.

At this stage of the game I would be horrified if someone read me from 10 yards away. This lady did you an immense favor. Take the lesson and start fine tuning your presentation.

Pro Tip:
    For most of us, the 'little things' turn out to be the easiest things once we finally learn to stop editing ourselves. Remember who you were at 8 years old.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Reality Check
    Sarah, You may not feel that my comment was "nice", but it's obviously the truth. There's not much point in constantly posting "You look very feminine." or "You poor baby." If this forum is to be of any use to anyone, we have to be honest.

If you are trying to pass as a female and you are constantly read as a male, it's not the other people's problem, it's your problem. You need to examine your presentation or even have friends help you by pointing out your "non-female" looks or actions. And that's the truth.