Thread: With the simple click of a mouse everything changes

I've made it and love it Jennifer-GWN's Avatar

With the simple click of a mouse everything changes

I got up this morning just like every other morning...

Off to make breakfast and a coffee to get the day started... oh crap electro day ... another regular event these days; oh joy.

Back to my desk for the onslaught of conference calls, issues, and projects that needed to be tended too.

At 4pm there was a slight deviation in my regular schedule and very impactful event which represented the culmination of a carefully orchestrated process that I've had in the works for several months. A task that our HR department felt more comfortable in letting me drive verses taking it on themselves given the breadth and magnitude of the reach required.

You see today it became official... I woke up as Tim... and closed the day as Jennifer.

Not only do I work for a large company but my attach is broad and deep given the role I play, the visibility I have, and the long standing relationships I've built and maintained through 20 years on the job.

This notice went out across many organizations and all geographies representing a large percentage of the 110k employee base.

As a very dear friend said with 7 simple but striking words... "Welcome to the rest of your life"... and so it will be.

So with the simple click of the mouse button notice went out, virtually across the entire organization, of my transition and corresponding Name and Email changes that will go into effect over night.

Its been several hours since the proverbial notices hit the wire and as of this posting my mailbox; soon to be retired, is overflowing with 1200 (and counting) emails and the flow hasn't slowed nor do I expect it too through the night. Hits and comments on my internal social networking notice as well are equally pushing large numbers. I'm guessing IT are trying to figure out if we've been hit by cyber attack or something.

I've been doing personal and private 1:1 notices over the past 3 weeks with folks I felt needed; nay deserved, a more personal notice. That process in itself was both time consuming and emotionally draining but necessary.

Last week we had a global training in Vegas with 700 attendees and that was a bit of a "soft launch" with me trying my best to exist under the radar (at least til the end of the training... all rules went out the door on Thursday evening so a number had the opportunity to meet the new and improved me).

The outpouring of support has been at times overwhelming and causing moments of tears (tears of joy).

Yesterday my org VP commented that he has no idea how I've been able to put such a plan in place and execute accordingly in such a way where normal business was not impacted. Crap; I've inadvertently raised my own bar of what I'll be expected to deliver going forward.

Tomorrow I'll get up like I do every day... come down, and make breakfast, coffee, and as usual park myself at my desk for the normal onslaught of conference calls, issues, and projects that needed to be tended too.

Tomorrow will somehow be different as a large milestone in my transition will have been achieved and its back to work plain and simple.

This is one of those surreal moments in our transitions that we know we all will reach at some point. I've read the stories posted by many of you. Your feelings and your experience getting to this point. What no one can prepare anyone for is what it actually feels like. All I can say right now is OMG I'm awash in tears and happiness as I've waited so long for this moment and worked so hard to ensure that it would go as smoothly as possible.

I now deserve a cocktail, curl up and reflect on so much and look ahead.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

Simply stated but with a lot of sincere meaning, CONGRATULATIONS!

Congratulations, Jennifer.

Hugs,

Lah
    Be nice; It don't cost nothing.

Aspiring Member
    Wow! You've done what I think many of us here hope to do someday. Yes, welcome to the rest of your life!

With a click of a mouse...it's a girl! I couldn't be happier for you. Just a few more days (weeks) things will calm down at work. You're over a big hurdle.
    Next time Jennifer C emails, I promise I won't say 'Who the heck is Jennifer C?' LOL

That is so amazing. But in some ways, not surprising....you have worked hard to put this together and brilliantly execute. You have also worked hard for the company and for all those that have come to know you over the years. You have always been there for them, now, they are there for you. Karma, baby. !!

and yes, time for a cocktail, and in fact, I just might join you ! Here's looking at you kid!

Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

I applaud your bravery. Did any of the imagined terrors you might have had come to pass?

Thanks all for your kind words. The biggest surprise today was the number of people that didn't get the notice. Given the state of my inbox this morning and with a brief review last night (in all honesty I was having a bit of a mental challenge processing it all) I couldn't help but think how broad my notice went.

One interesting observation from this overall process was the number of parallel stories it brought up at least during my 1:1 process. Many had family or friends either in transition or have transitioned.

One note that came in this morning for example from Saudi Arabia where a colleague admitted to being in closet due to local religious and political persecution. One colleague indicated recently that my note was the 2nd one in the past 2 weeks; his nephew just announced to the family and they were struggling with how to respond ... So we talked about that.

The other observation was the degree of the notes written... Not simple congrats or I'm happy for you but equally deep and thoughtful as the note I sent... And these were responses returned not long after my notice went out.

Needless to say I owe my overall team a huge debt of gratitude for how they've handled this. I'm in good a good company full of awesome people in all corners of the globe.

I now prepare to relocate to my childhood home on the Atlantic coast to work from there for the next 2 months as I do each summer.I go with a great deal of confidence as this visit will close the 3rd and final piece of my emergence. I'm looking forward to the small town and slow pace environment as I need the time to decompress a bit... I've taken what I refer to as the skydiving approach to transitioning... Not for the faint of heart and best be ready before you jump as it wind rushing by at terminal velocity is quite a rush. When you land it's an amazing feeling of accomplishment.

Cheers... Jennifer
    I am who I am... I'm happy...I mean truly to the bone happy...and at peace with myself for the first time ever. I'm confident and content as the woman I am.

kudos to you!!!

I's super happy for you and hope things keep working out for you!!!

Banned Read only
    Wow Jennifer, that made me literally cry, but in a GOOD way, congratulations!! 😂

Erin
    Congratulations! I will face the same albeit on a smaller scale. Thanks for sharing this day with us!
    Suzanne

Gold Member
    I love days like this! Congratulations Jennifer!

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Jennifer-GWN View Post
    I got up this morning just like every other morning...
    At 4pm there was a slight deviation in my regular schedule and very impactful event which represented the culmination of a carefully orchestrated process that I've had in the works for several months.
    You see today it became official... I woke up as Tim... and closed the day as Jennifer.
    All I want to say is:
    Conga Rats.gif
    Conga rats!
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity

The outpouring of support has been at times overwhelming and causing moments of tears (tears of joy).
    I'm so happy for you. Congratulations!

I also experienced an outpouring of support. I came to the conclusion that most people are kind and decent. The few who are haters and trolls are disproportionately loud because they generally post anonymously on the Internet. Ignore them and be well.

Congratulations!

Hugs,
    Tonya
    HURRY-UP, IN THE BACK SEAT!

[SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]

:Thornton:

Yay! Congratulations! I bet you hope for a time when its a passing thought.

Did you get a lot of people that mentioned how brave your were, how courageous?

Stephanie... Congrats to you as well. Been quite a ride over the past few weeks. Email and Id now live but not without a bit of drama that got resolved today. Support unanimous and global. Good feeling. Wish you the best.

Thanks all... Jennifer