Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: An extremely different family problem.

An extremely different family problem.

My 3 year old is showing some interesting gender related behaviour. He loves having his nails painted (only in pink) only wants pink sippy cups, and is showing a preference to his cousins clothing. My wife knows about me, and she is extremely ok. The rest of the family does not. My dad saw Chris last weekend with his nails painted and flipped out. My reaction was not the best i.e. he is my child he likes i am ok with it and if u dont to freaking bad.. I am really unsure the best way to handle these things in the future As I will not force my son to not have it if it makes him happy.

If your child becomes unhappy if you remove the things he likes, like polish, dresses, etc. Then he could be expressing gender issues. You are right to let him experiment to remain a happy kid.

There are support groups for trans (if he is) kids, such as http://www.transkidspurplerainbow.org/

http://www.transgenderchild.net/reso...upport-groups/

http://www.transgenderchild.net/reso...upport-groups/
    Last edited by DonnaT; 06-29-2015 at 02:22 PM.
    DonnaT

My daughter wanted to wear nail polish when she was very young, too. I told her she had to wait until she was older.
    Don't get me wrong, I asked for [and received] a doll when I was three and had a natural affinity towards flowery things and my neighbour's dresses but makeup is another matter altogether. And I didn't grow up with GID so just let things play out.

Banned Read only
    First, your child is only 3 years old. At this point he doesn't even know what he likes and dislikes. He is exploring and hunting for his identity. I personally feel that you handled well. So what if grandpa doesn't like it. He is not grandpa's child. He is your child and you will raise him as you see fit as long as you are not violating the law.

Platinum Member
    The rest of your family needs to chill. All little kids like to play with clothes and such. And why shouldn't they?
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I'd read nothing into it. I'd let him do it without judgement and try to neither encourage nor discourage. I think people are way too quick to think that something like this has larger implications. Take it for what it is without making something bigger out of it.

As for the rest of the family, if they're going to flip out over it, I'd avoid them. It's nothing to flip out over.

I'm going to go with the crowd and say that at 3 he doesn't necessarily understand subtexts like color choices and fingernail painting. Just let him roll with it and neither encourage nor discourage. Keep an eye on Grandpa and as the kid gets older let him know that grandpas were brought up in different times and may have ideas that seem odd these days (I know I sure do.) You don't really have to tell him not to pay attention to the adults in his life -- he'll know that naturally. The first time a friend tells him there are spider eggs in chewing gum, you'll find that he trusts his peers implicitly and you not at all.

I really am trying not to read anything it to it, He is 3 and he is supposed to be exploring and learning. I think what upset me most is as a parent I want to nurture that growth not stifle it.

Your child got a valuable lesson in navigating social norms - he both got to see that some people are very committed to them, but also got to see that others (you) aren't, as well as an example of how to respond when someone else disapproves of what you're doing. If you keep modeling the same behavior, your child will be much more tolerant and well-adjusted later in life.

your child is very young to be a crossdresser, its very normal at this age to feel curiosity about the girly things.

but its a call to be watching him, maybe he really is a crossdresser, and you can be an excellent support

Mary Tyler Moore wannabe MarinaKirax's Avatar
    Three year olds have a job, and that is exploring the world and its opportunities, without exception. They've only been independently mobile for a while, their ability to interact by language is exploding, and they are beginning to communicate in a meaningful back and forth with other people. Its a time of experiencing everything. It will be a while before he understands that only girls are supposed to wear dresses and paint their nails. That idea is probably way more complicated than "hey! look! I can paint my fingernails!". besides, pink was traditionally a mans color hundreds of years ago. Women wore deep green, deep reds, and blues. men wore black, white, gray, and soft accents like moss or pink. This means nothing, trust me.
    God gave women intuition and femininity. Used properly, the combination easily jumbles the brain of any man I've ever met. Farrah Fawcett

Quote Originally Posted by Fany27ab View Post
    your child is very young to be a crossdresser, its very normal at this age to feel curiosity about the girly things.

but its a call to be watching him, maybe he really is a crossdresser, and you can be an excellent support
    Absolutely an opportunity to shape a life to the happier side of things

Let em be kids really.

~Char
    "Little darling, the smiles are returning to the faces. Little darling, it feels like years since its been here. .... Here come the sun... - George Harrison "Here Comes the Sun"

Banned Read only
    Nikkim,
    I have two grandsons aged eighteen months and three and a half years, if my wife saw the older one with nail polish on I'm sure she would think I had something to do with it but saying that she did let him wear one of her necklaces ! I will have to admit it made me feel slightly uneasy only because of her critical attitude towards my CDing but it was OK for him to play with her jewelery !

2015 Remember , At the least you need to listen to Him, Don't be like our parents were,, If it still happens take him to a GENDER Therapist and let them decide on what to do !

Shasta,
    I absolutely LOVE your hair, but I so disagree with the gender therapist thing! Maybe if he/she is a teenager, but I think people are so quick to react one way or the other. Either to try to suppress "it" or to jump completely to the other side.

If he wants to wear nail polish or braid his hair with a blue ribbon... just let him do it without intervention! Therapists have their place. I've been to a "gender therapist" as an adult. Not sure it did anything for me other than to provide a place to speak freely, which was pretty helpful at the time. Just allowing him to be his own person without having to choose a side would be, I think, invaluable.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 06-29-2015 at 11:34 PM. Reason: no to quote post above yours

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    First, your child is only 3 years old. At this point he doesn't even know what he likes and dislikes. He is exploring and hunting for his identity. I personally feel that you handled well. So what if grandpa doesn't like it. He is not grandpa's child. He is your child and you will raise him as you see fit as long as you are not violating the law.
    There are a number of trans girls who new at 3 or younger, and I've even met some. They were probably trans even earlier, but didn't know how to verbalize it.

Let it play out, but you should take it as an early warning.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

The truth if the matter is I honestly think that he is to young to understand the "social" norms anyway. I am not yet going to run him to a gender therapist or anything. My primary concern is dealing with my family and not wanting to stifle him. I was called many horrible things by many family members growing up that should never have happened. And I do not want my child feeling the same. I know right now my life would be incredibly different had I not been stiffled. I know at 18 I would have transitioned which is all but impossible now, and I am concerned with how to address family that may or may not want 2 do the same to my son. I never ever want him 2 wake up with that hollow void and hate who he is.

He may be too young to cognitively understand something as abstract as social norms now, but on an emotional level, he can sense approval or disapproval. Whether he is expressing himself or merely experimenting, experiencing disapproval is a behavioral reinforcement of said norms. Things learned via this route are typically preverbal and difficult to unlearn, as they are "felt" and not "thought". So what he needs are counter-reinforcements that balance out those messages and give him space to explore without shame. Think how different your journey would have been if you'd had just one person, much less a parent, who accepted you and encouraged your exploration.

Let him be himself, and stomp on anyone who says otherwise.
    See all my photos, read many stories of my outings and my early days at
    http://rachelsauckland.blogspot.co.nz

My gfs three yr old likes to have his nails painted, most other stuff he likes is considered "boy stuff". We dont know if theres anything to it or if he just saw her do it and wanted to join in. I believe people are born tg and so only time can tell. His father takes him once in awhile and recently tried to demand that she stop painting his nails and that he was going to buy polish remover and take it off. She firmly told him " I dont just put it on him, he tells me that he wants to put it on. You know, he might be gay or trans and we're still going to need to love him, right? If you want to take it off when hes with you then go ahead but you'll be the one dealing with him screaming, im not going to stop supporting him if thats what he wants to do". He seemed to have sort of a change of heart after that and apologized to her.

I think its important for your son to see you stick up for him and to support his feelings and even at a young age also learn about why people have some of the opinions, prejudices, and stereotypes that they do. I started talking to my now 6 and a half yr old son about lgbt and gender issues at about that age as he has a close adult cousin who is gay plus my gender issues,( he doesnt know about either of us specifically). I broke it down to his level just like i would teach him anything else but also learned his comprehension grows the more i talk to him intelectually. More recently we've watched youtube videos about trans children and i explain and answer any questions he has. I dont suspect any gender issues with him but he seems to be sympathetic and understaning of those children which was my gaol, also to lay the groundwork if the day ever comes that he knows about me, and i think it could go a long way in preventing him from bullying at school as well as maybe stick up for others if he sees them getting bullied.

Its not uncommon for kids to experiment at that age. It doesn't mean they are crossdressers or transgendered. They are just being children. Their gender idenities are also still developing. Its great that you are there to watch over and support you're son. Its a shame that some people have this wierd idea that being a CD or transgendered is a learned behavior. Your son will probably grow out of it. Plenty of family members can disagree with how parents raise their kids. But as long as the parents are doing whats best for the kids their families have no right to tell them how to raise their children. But in any case its good that you are trying to be understanding of you're son.
    Last edited by DressyJenny; 06-29-2015 at 11:55 PM.

I've got twins, one boy, one girl. Around age four our boy went through about a week where he wanted to wear girls' clothes. A few weeks later our daughter (who's usually very "girly" which really confuses my tomboy wife) did the opposite. We didn't make a big deal out of it. My parents happened to be visiting during some of that time, and they were fine about it. My wife's mom would have freaked out, though.

If your kid is just experimenting, it will go away. If not, then he might have gender identity issues and you'll need to get some support for yourself and your child, and work out how to educate your family. Time will tell.
    The end of fear is the beginning of wisdom -- Bertrand Russell

Hi Nikki,

One important discovery I've made working with hundreds of clients, and growing up 5 children, is that the child expresses stuff repressed/hidden by the parents. If you come out to the wider family/world, I'd not be at all surprised to see he may not need to do it "for you", leaving him to experience his own path.

I realise this type of insight appears a bit "out there" from the mainstream, but its the basis of how projection works, imprinting and human development. One example, the day after I had released my fear of heights, my daughter reported she'd done a zip wire and enjoyed it, whereas before she was afraid of heights. That's how it works!

xxx
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

He's only 3! He may be copying behaviors that he's seen in other little girls. Don't read too much into it at this age.

Rhonda Jean,, Gender therapist is for the Dad's sake of argument with Grandpaw,, So if he freaks again and says something to the effect of this and that he can always pull out the Old Where's your Doctor's Degree,,lol,,

I mean I understand what most say but why not get it on record early if there is something there? If not and it's just a phase Big Deal let it pass and go on with Life.
    But if it's not the earlier you get something done the better off SHE will be!

I was saying don't be like our parents were and think it passed or whatnot and then let them spend a Lifetime dealing with the Problem alone.

Come on,, Listen to you people,, That's the same Crap that our Parents said !! An look at us ? They have people that know about this stuff now days why not use them for there special skills set?

Yea Lots of Boys do show Gender variant signs early and pull out of it ,, Or do they ? Maybe the ones that So Called Grow out of it are the Very people on this Site? I can't believe all the Crazy Comments here on this thread. Freaks me out to think there aren't more and different ways of looking at this Dysphoria this day and age with all the so called progress we have made just in the last year.

SCARY STUFF !!