Thread: First Road Trip

First Road Trip

My boyfriend had a health scare and the Trip was almost postponed but fortunately it was just a scare. We are planning to drive two weeks sight seeing through the South West with San Francisco as the main destination, I am really excited to be myself for two weeks.
    Can you suggest some tips on long road trips while being Fem, I only have made short trips

Houston to San Francisco, you probably can go through a lot of southwest scenario route (such as the Grand Canyon). Highway 1 through Big Sur along the coast is beautiful drive, and it is the best season this time of the year.

I used to do a lot of road trips when I was younger. My suggestion is to take it easy and have a relaxed schedule. Travel is not about getting from point A to point B but the journey in between. Have a great summer.

I almost forgot - take a lot of pictures (and share it with us).

Thanks Leslie, yes the Grand Canyon is on the plans and my boyfriend mentioned Highway 1

Death Valley, unfortunately in its hottest part of the year, with the lowest point in the continental USA is another interesting place. Yes, Highway one at least from Big Sur to Monterey. Dress light for the heat and bring sweaters and slacks for the colder coast and SF, especially later in the day. Have a great trip.

If you can veer north from the Grand Canyon, there are 5 National Parks in southern Utah! Brice Canyon and Arches are not to be missed! Look for a little known state park called Goblin Valley! It's off the beaten path, but well worth it! Went there with the family in early April---never saw another soul in the park!!! Cool, but kinda eerie too!

Kinda out of your way, but Four Corners and Monument Valley are magnificent!

PM me if you are coming through L.A.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Thanks Nikki for the tip,I am not sure about LA but I will if we do go there Barbara

Hi Barbara,

Sounds like a wonderful trip. Do heed the heat -- this is the hottest time of the year in the Southwest, so always carry lots of water. We particularly liked Santa Fe and the red rock country of Sedona, south of the Grand Canyon.

Two weeks of being you sounds marvelous. I've driven several times from Florida to DC and back en femme with no problems. If anything, I drive more carefully and have a lot more fun on a boring drive! Using the ladies' rooms at interstate rest stops has never been an issue. The only problem was having to shave going out for dinner .

have a safe and wonderful trip and glad to hear that your boyfriend is OK.

Hugs,

Claire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Platinum Member
    Hi Barbara, My wife and I just came back from a month long trip in our motorhome.
    It is so much fun taking road trips.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Reality Check
    I think shaving and reapplying makeup or at least beard cover would be one of the biggest problems on any trip. I get several hours at best before I have to shave again, less if I'll be out in public.

The southwest USA in the summer will be very hot and wigs, breasts and hip padding may be uncomfortable. Summer clothing will require whole body shaving.

I envy you Barbara, what a great trip. So if you are roughly going Houston to S.F. and back, try doing a big circular route.
    Going out I -10 to near El Paso you can veer north and catch Carlsbad Caverns and work your way towards Santa Fe & Alberquerque. Take I - 40 across to Flagstaff and the Canyon. The Utah parks mentioned are a few hours north of here and Vegas is a few hours west, Death Valley is just beyond.
    I've not done any thing on the west coast, so you'll have to get the others to tell you the places to see.
    Coming back from Frisco to Houston, I'd take I -80 thru Tahoe and over to Salt Lake. You can then work your way thru the Rockies towards Denver. Several ways to go with places like Aspen, Leadville, Pikes Peak and Denver along the way. After that it's not to far till your back in Texas and that looooooooong drive back to Houston.
    Have fun!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

If you can get in Yosemati (SP) is worth the trip. I also recommend Bodie, CA of HWY .395
    joank
    Southern California

Aspiring Member
    Depending on when you plan to go, consider elevation as your friend. The higher you go, the cooler. This time of year the southern deserts are blazing hot, triple digits. Arizonans like to remind you: "but it's a dry heat." When you can fry an egg on the hood of your car, it's hot, wet or dry.

Have a great trip,

Ineke

Thanks everyone for all the tips...Actually I was born on the desert heat and I lived most of my life on the Humid Houston Heat, but heat and dressing is kind of new for me

Well then, since I missed you in Houston (through no fault of mine!) I would expect you and Mr Man to accept my hospitality here in my corner of the world.

I always have plenty of libations, and my place while tiny, is esteemed by some as a great place to hang out. :-)

My couch also pulls out in the event a guest becomes over-libated.
    Quote Originally Posted by STACY B
    At least there is social acceptance in being a drunk in our world. Hell I was good at it too.
    Melissa Hobbes
    www.badtranny.com

Quote Originally Posted by Badtranny View Post
    Well then, since I missed you in Houston (through no fault of mine!) I would expect you and Mr Man to accept my hospitality here in my corner of the world.

I always have plenty of libations, and my place while tiny, is esteemed by some as a great place to hang out. :-)

My couch also pulls out in the event a guest becomes over-libated.
    It's a deal..The Houston miss we can blame it to an Amada Press Punch and Bill(the storm) It will be interesting since you and my boyfriend are from the same little town and I don't speak Cajun

Banned Read only
    Regarding road trips:

Exchange drivers every hour. At the end of the day, both of you will be less fatigued and in better spirits.

Regarding places:

Cannery Row-Monterey, I've been to Monterey twice and it is a really neat place. Obviously it is very different now from Steinbeck's time, but it's the kind of place that I'd much rather see converted to shopping and restaurants than torn down. Many thanks to the people who had that vision.

Cable Car Museum-San Francisco, If you've ever wondered what pulls those Cable Cars up the hill, look no further!

Peterson Museum-Los Angeles, As a car guy forever, I had to make the pilgrimage to The Peterson. Car culture is a significant part of SoCal and they do a very good job of highlighting it.

Roscoe's Chicken & Waffles-Hollywood, We went on a Saturday morning and arrived about 30 minutes before opening time. There were already about 30 people in line. That's all the explanation you need...

DeeAnn

PM me when you'll be in the SF Bay Area; maybe we can meet up.
    ALWAYS plan for the worst, then you can be pleasantly surprised if something else happens!

"The important thing about the bear is not how well she dances, but that she dances at all." - Old Russian Proverb (with a gender change)

Platinum Member
    They always say to bring half the clothes and twice the money! Other than that, just be yourself!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    Except for SF, the heat and your need to refresh your femme self will be the issues. Plan a daily schedule that gives you time to be your best en femme. You will be high maintenance. Plan for dealing with accessories that have quickly accumulated more sweat than ever before, as in changes of hair and a place to dry things. You are going to be showing more skin so it will need to be ready for that. With all that secured, it should be such fun!!!

once again thanks for tips everyone, I am already on Flagstaff ArizonaIMG_0653.jpg

Just a quick update on my trip...I had the most wonderful time meeting Allie and Melissa on San Francisco they are way more than adorable and friendly gals.
    Right now we are on our way to LA... so far this trip has been a life changing experienceIMAG1269.jpg

That sounds amazing! I've dreampt of going on a road trip for years. I can't wait to make that a reality.

You look so feminine. Fantastic.

I'm a little biased as I come from Monterey and love the California coast, but I can see where, with the right people it could be life changing. I'm very happy for your fantastic trip.