Thread: CD Entry into bars and nightclubs in the UK

CD Entry into bars and nightclubs in the UK

Hello All,

Recently I have taken Amber, my female alter-ego, out on the town for the first time. It was super exciting and I've been out twice more since. Reaction from the public has been largely really positive. However, I keep coming up against bouncers who are initially hesitant to let me in. Although I haven't been refused entry, I nearly once was. I wonder if anyone knows what rights I have as a CD with regard to bars and clubs in the UK. Although I know the Equality Act 2010 should protect me in most situations, nightclubs etc often have a ROAR - Right of Admission Refused, and don't have to provide specifics on why an individual has been excluded. Are they allowed to do that by law? I booked tickets for an Ibiza party at a local nightclub in August and emailed them in advance to check their CD entry policy. Thankfully, they are open-minded enough for Amber not be an issue but it'd be much more convenient if I knew my rights in the first place.

Hope you can help.

Amber

xxxxx

Hi, this is something I have been wondering as well. I live in London and am getting to the point where I would like to venture out to a 'normal' bar (not tg) as girl Alex but nervous about bouncers as they can be quite strict here. Being refused entry would be a big downer for the night

Hi Amber,

All nightclubs in the UK will be licensed establishments and the licensee has an absolute right under licensing laws to refuse entry for no reason. There's a lot of discussion on the web about this but fundamentally licensees are expected to maintain order and this gives them carte blanche to do so under common law.

They can refuse anyone and not give a reason - that's legal. If they refuse someone and cite a reason that is both discriminatory (race, gender, etc.) and covered by discrimination legislation, then that is not strictly legal but you would have a hard time arguing it at the door - best to take it up with club management some other time as even calling the rozzers will be unlikely to help you effect an entrance.

Your pre-emptive action of calling ahead is by far the best idea - I'm guessing you present well and that will also help, but having the management onside before having to debate with the resident muscle is a much, much better idea.

I guess that just demonstrates again how unusual (and misunderstood) we are in vanilla environments still...

Katey x
    Last edited by Katey888; 07-02-2015 at 05:05 AM. Reason: Clarification..
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Gone to live my life
    Hi Amber,

I cannot speak to the UK as I live in Canada, but what Katey said resonates here as well. Nightclubs/bars have the right of refusal and unfortunately it is normally the lowest common denominator at the door making that decision and rarely management. So it is possible to run up against someone who does not like us and have them deny entry. Your calling ahead is a good idea or taking it up with management afterwards if you are barred . . . getting into a shouting match with the bouncer, probably not a good idea (but you did not do that so all is good).

The one bit of advice I can provide is that when going into bars/nightclubs which are patronized by men drinking alcohol, it is wise to do so with friends, have an exit plan and keep aware of your surroundings. Nothing spells potential disaster than some dude taking an amorous shine to you in a drunken stupor only to find out you are a guy and then takes a ribbing from his mates about it . . . it could go bad. I am not saying there is something wrong with going out to bars . . . just play safe.

Cheers

Isha

Amber,
    Katey and Isha have, as usual, pretty much nailed it.

The only thing that I would add is, bouncers are generally not renowned either for their grasp of the law or for their patience with those who attempt to argue with them. I suspect that if you attempt to cite your rights to the average bouncer then the best outcome that you can expect is an un-comprehending "sorry mate, you're still not getting in". I suspect that they are more likely to decide that you are taking the proverbial and that you need removing from the general vicinity using force that may, or may not, be "reasonable"! That really would spoil your evening. Sometimes it's better, in the long run, to walk away.

As for the cops... Katey's absolutely right. They aren't going to get involved unless there's some disturbance. If you appear to be the cause of that disturbance then guess what...!?

Stay safe and have fun.
    Judy
    Last edited by Judith96a; 07-02-2015 at 11:33 AM.

I can say the bouncers in Texas are called that for a reason, very muscular and usually in pairs. Call ahead and have the management tell them in advance the policies on the bar.

There's something important point.
    It depends a lot if you looks in a good way, if you don't dress in a good way the most probably is you will be denied to enter to the club, but if you dress in a property way you shouldn't had any problem in the most of the places you want to go

Amber,
    I've seen your pics - you've nothing to worry about in the looks department and kudos to you for taking the step. I wish I could.
    Bouncers are a law unto themselves though. I got refused entry (dressed as a male) when I was 30 as I looked under 18! Yeah right!
    Yours sincerely,
    Very shy also in the UK!

Aspiring Member
    Ah, to be young enough to have this problem at all. lol

At my age, even if I pass completely, they wouldn't want me in most clubs simply because of my age.

Of course, in Vegas that might not apply. And, of course, there is the old slight of hand passing of money to the doorman - something that seems to make them blind to everything but green.

Oh, to those across the pond, green refers to "greenbacks" - the main religion of Americans.

I have never had trouble getting into bars/clubs in Nottingham UK,just be polite and sober.

Thanks everyone for contributing to this thread! It confirms what I suspected in that bars and clubs have the right to refuse admission at their discretion and without explanation. I'll just keep contacting places in advance.

xxxx

Amber