Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: GG Has a Question.. Why the word Sissy??

GG Has a Question.. Why the word Sissy??

Hi everyone. First Im hoping this type of question is even allowed here? I have wondered this for several years. I see a lot of the use of the word "Sissy" on Pinterest in quotes and dressing among other places online. As a GG , an SO of a CD, I find it a complete turn off in all aspects. The idea of the dressing like a little girl, or in a little Bo-Peep outfits, pictures of young boys dressed in said costumes referred to as Sissys etc..or just calling one selves a sissy. Its such an old word from when we were in grade school in 1960, Just curious.......Am I in the minority?
    Stacie

I have always found it to be a rather nasty term. As a child my memory is that it was used to criticise certain behaviours of both girls and boys and yet another weapon of conformity.
    You mention those who like to dress as young girls and call themselves "sissy". I don't know much about that "community" but I suspect that they take pleasure in adopting a pejorative, rather like male homosexuals adopting the word "queer" which used to be used as an insult against them.

I'm with you on this one and find the whole thing a bit skin crawling. Mind you, I'm sure I could find some people who thought the same of what I do. But it definitely lives down at the fetish end of the spectrum.

What a turnoff is right. It is very much a put down. It can kill self-esteem in young boys. I remember the feeling I had when I was called that as a youngster.

Gold Member
    First is to welcome Stacie to our forum, Glad you found us.
    As for the word "Sissy", I too find it a demeaning word.
    I am not sure how it came about, but remembering hearing it
    way back in Grade School as a very demeaning name calling
    incident.
    In Short, I do not like it.
    Rader

Interesting question, and welcome to the forum Stacie. "Sissy' could also be cosidered as a type or style of dressing. Basicly anything that is very frilly and fem can be sissy. I really do not think of myself as an old school kind of sissy, as I am a part time cd only, and have other interests. I suppose you could make up a new term, and call cds who like frilly clothes, "costume" cds, instead of sissy, or fetish. I rather prefer that, as it more directly descibes me.
    Anyway, hope that helps, and enjoy your stay on the forums.

Stacie, there are some words, like certain racial or sexual slurs, that most people think are never appropriate to use. Some words are only offensive when they are used inappropriately, and sissy is one of them, at least in my opinion. Others think it is always offensive and should never be used.
    Sissy can be either a lifestyle, role play, or fashion style. For me, it is only a dressup style. When I put on my maid's outfit, I have no objection to being called a sissy maid. A sissy (little girl's) dress is still on my wish list. Call me a sissy when I wear it, if I ever get one.
    When I wear "regular" women's clothing, it wouldn't be appropriate (or accurate) to call me a sissy, but getting offended is a choice, and I choose to not get offended.

Hi Stacie,

I think it's been alluded to already here, 'sissy' is commonly used in a fetish or BDSM connotation as a particular style of dressing and activity...

We don't see it much around here but it will crop up a lot more on other sites that cater for that side of life... We tend to be more in the 'femulator' category here although we do support all sorts of crossdressers on the site... I think the BDSM lifestyle folk tend to be more into doing stuff than talking about what we chat about here... if you catch my drift... And yeah - does nix for me either, but to each their own...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Banned Read only
    I agree with you completely. I can't understand it and the word itself is derogatory to me.
    Last edited by Jenniferathome; 07-04-2015 at 02:06 PM.

Worlds Prettiest Dad!!! Jocelyn Quivers's Avatar
    Never been a fan of the word, it kind of reminds of an insult from some old western movie leading to a bar room/saloon brawl. "You ride your horse like a sissy!!!!" followed by broken windows, flying bodies, turned over tables etc.
    [SIZE="3"]MUSCULAR GIRLS ARE PRETTY!!![/SIZE]

Current Inspirational Song-"Running Free"- Kissin Dynamite

M-E-A-T, M-A-C-H-I-N-E, MEAT MACHINE!, MEAT MACHINE!!!
    The Governor for President 2016!!
    All I want for Christmas is an Anita Model Synth

Aspiring drama queen Isabella Ross's Avatar
    Hmmm...don't you think we should show some tolerance and avoid rushing to judgement here? I'd hazard a guess that there are many here on this forum who enjoy the word "sissy" and everything that it entails. Personally, I don't have an issue with the word or CDs who have a sissy or submissive nature while dressed, providing it's all in the context of good clean fun. Not really sure that any of us here need to be this close-minded...

I am very much a femulating CD. Ordinarily I have zero interest in presenting as anything other than a (hopefully reasonably stylish) 'normal' woman.

However (serious blushing here, hope that I don't get my "femulator credentials" revoked ), I must admit that if the opportunity presented itself to do so in a safe environment I might quite enjoy getting dressed up in an uber-feminine, outrageously frilly outfit - the sort of thing that only an excessively precocious twelve-year old prissy 'princess' would wear! Just for a bit of fun you understand! Didn't get to do things like that when I WAS 12! In that context, it would be appropriate to describe me as a sissy.

However, mostly the word 'sissy' is used by bullies to belittle others, in which case it is wholly inappropriate.

Of course, to those who don't understand (and maybe don't really want to be bothered) we may all appear to be "just a bunch of big sissies" (in the most pejorative sense). THAT is a whole other conversation!

LilSissySteve,
    Saw your post (without taking any notice of your name) and was about to retort - THEN saw your name! Nice One!
    Last edited by Judith96a; 07-04-2015 at 01:34 PM. Reason: Saw LilSissySteve's post

Just cuz a guy sometimes likes to dress up like a girl and fantasize about servicing big strong hunks and/or Dominatrices doesn't make him a queer or a sissy. Sheesh!

Silver Member
    I agree that sisy is not an endearing term and I'm not into it at all. I have posted often about the lack of an endearing term for a male who has and wants the world to know he has feminine qualities and interests. Whether it is a andro/fem taste in clothes or if he is the male version of a tomboy.

This is one of those touchy subjects. Some like it some dont, some dont care either way. It is usually used in fetish instances more than not. And that is what is being catered to on tumblr, pinterst, and the like. I am not sure i would let it get under my skin to much. Unless someone is really using it as a derogatory statement in outing your love.

I think the problem with "sissy" is the connotations each person brings for themselves with it. Growing up it was just another volley in the uncountable barrage, long before a dress of any style was on the radar. When I first turned to the internet (insert groans here) to try and learn about me it's a term you couldn't avoid in the searches. It could mean anything from a man who dressed in nothing feminine but liked to be submissive all the way through the full on sissy dress and taskings (if such a thing could exist.)

For me and only me the connotation that steers me way from it is one of my two standards for fair game in what people do in life i.e. consenting and adult. Clearly an adult in a sissy, Lolita or little girl dress or role who isn't involved in anything wrong with an actual non-adult is no more wrong or right than any other given direction but much like how many feel about the way I go about things it isn't for me. It's a line for me that needs to stay clear and distinct.

Quote Originally Posted by Judith96a View Post
    However (serious blushing here, hope that I don't get my "femulator credentials" revoked ), I must admit that if the opportunity presented itself to do so in a safe environment I might quite enjoy getting dressed up in an uber-feminine, outrageously frilly outfit - the sort of thing that only an excessively precocious twelve-year old prissy 'princess' would wear! Just for a bit of fun you understand! Didn't get to do things like that when I WAS 12! In that context, it would be appropriate to describe me as a sissy
    There is something to be said for some of things you might not have been able to experience at for lack of a better way to put it an age appropriate time in life. I can see the draw for Judith on this one. While I discovered this whole concept at 12 years old I was well into adulthood before I was able to explore it more fully. A few decades past a sweet 16 party.
    "You are not an accident, nor are you malfunctioning. You are performing EXACTLY as coded." For many "Man in a Dress" is the worst atrocity commit-able; for me it's just reality. Click to Learn About Me. Click to Complain About Me! There is a fine line between brutal honesty and honest brutality. It is rarely in the same place for the sender and the receiver.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I look at it as a style of CD ing more than anything.
    Fetish related end of the CD spectrum.
    I don't like the term personally but if someone likes that style that is A OK with me.
    In the 50' 60's, 70's for a male that term was very derogatory.
    I'm sure some would view gay men as "sissies" but let them say that to my face LOL.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    I don't like the term applied to myself. Even tho folks here refer to me as a "fetish" dresser. Altho I've seen many dressers using the term? It's them referring to themselves or their fantasies. I can't recall ever seeing anyone calling someone else a sissy.

As others stated, I believe it's a common, submissive fantasy or lifestyle for some BDSM dressers. The topic hasn't been, and probably shouldn't be, discussed in depth on this site. Because cd.com in NOT Fetlife!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Gone to live my life
    Hi Stacie,

If the term is used to belittle, demean or insult someone without their acquiescence then I would hazard a guess that it would not be welcomed by any gender. However, I think in the world of cross dressing it speaks to a particular style which some may wish to exhibit in order to derive please/emotional release or just plain fun. It take all kinds to make the world turn and whatever floats your boat is fine by me so long as it doesn't hurt others and you play nice.

Cheers

Isha

That's true, Doc, but it can be discussed here in the context of clothing style apart from any other aspect (activities). I have some outfits I consider "specialty" clothing, and I wear them for no other reason than they are so darned cute. Sissy is a good word when used properly.

I certainly don't like the term the way it is commonly used, as derogatory, demeaning, etc. That's the part of it we grew up with in most cases. But the 'fetish' side, wearing girlish or childish clothing and being subservient is purely a lifestyle chosen or driven into by being subservient. The two are really not interchangable. One not necessarily derogatory but willingly accepted.

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Maybe for u, Nicole, but not me. I have created many photo themes with Sherry as a bondage maid or in other kinky costumes. In fetish poses not suitable for this site.

But, even tho Sherry is often in submissive, or worse, situations? I never think of or refer to her as a "sissy". Possibly because women aren't referred to that way? Only men. And then, it's either used in a derogatory fashion or in a fetish context. I think of Sherry as a female. Also, being thot of as a sissy is not one of my fetishes.

I don't think costumes of any kind r, "sissy style". Child like, maid, or otherwise. Unless using that term blows your hair back? My 2 cents anyway!

Young girl with toy bunny. Not a sissy.
    IMG_1196 (595x640).jpg
    Last edited by docrobbysherry; 07-04-2015 at 04:15 PM.
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Thats cute Sherry.

Yeah I dislike the phrase too, as mentioned by others we appear to be more in the femulator area of crossdressing.

Sarah x
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

It's a fantasy for some, a lifestyle for a few, and most of us here do not identify with the term at all--though plenty of ignorant, macho men might call me one. Yes, i dress in womens clothes but am not a sissy...i am also fine with anyone who enjoys that syndrome...no judging from me. But consider also... I think one small reason i dress is to escape the conventional pressures most males feel. I am not aggressive or overly confrontational tho years of my life demanded that behavior. If sissy is one end of a scale, the other end is much worse.