Thread: Went dress shopping yesterday

Went dress shopping yesterday

Was out to brunch with a friend yesterday, and she mentioned this boutique clothing sale she was planning on going to later in the day. Since I'm already out to her, and could always use a few new dresses, I enthusiastically jumped on the opportunity and said I wanted to go with. She was completely open to that, so we went, me unfortunately in drab, but excited nonetheless. The show was on the small side, but well-stocked, 3 racks overflowing with really cute dresses, tops, and skirts. When the designer approached my friend, she told her I was looking, too (didn't ask my permission, but not a big deal), and the designer came over to me, gave me a big warm smile, apologized for not having a gender-appropriate changing room (only one shared room for the GG's), and encouraged me to ask her questions about sizes and to feel free to try things on over my clothing. That made me feel very welcome and at-ease, so I kind of went for it after that. It was really liberating to shop for girl clothes without having to lean on my wife and pretend that everything is for her, and not have to patronize only businesses that have family dressing rooms (Target). I only purchased two dresses given the prices, but I'm really happy with my purchases - I'll post pics soon, promise!
    Tristessa

Cool! Sounds like fun -- it's nice you got out and got a couple of dresses and it's nice you sensitized a designer to the CD market.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristessa View Post
    apologized for not having a gender-appropriate changing room (only one shared room for the GG's), and encouraged me to ask her questions about sizes and to feel free to try things on over my clothing.
    That seems weird to me, let me assume here for a minute that the small shop wasn't all that busy and you and your friend were probably the only ones in the store, even if there were a few others there, why would you have to try them on over your clothes instead of just using the changing room? why do your business out in the open where every one can see and out yourself MORE than your friend already had done? Your also not going to get a true fit trying them on over your drab clothes.

I think I would have just looked and left when My friend was done shopping, buying nothing, myself. there's no reason as to why you couldn't use the dressing room if no one else was in it at the time. Or a backroom or something. You add this to your list of places to shop? I'd add it to the places to avoid unless you know your sizes but that's just me
    Flip Flops were made for Beaches & Bath Houses, We have neither in 2017. Lose the flip flops!

It was a one-time clearance sale for a store that had already closed, held in a women-only yoga studio. The changing room was the locker room - open, no privacy. No male equivalent. There were a number of women there, so there wasn't really any other alternative. I get the designer being reluctant to allow me in there with the GG's, especially since I was in drab and sporting a beard at the time. I took a chance with the sizes, went back to my friends' place nearby, and tried them all on, figuring I could return them 20 minutes after I purchased them if need be. So I don't see it as negatively as you, and for me, the real win was just doing my thing in public and not caring what others thought.
    Tristessa

Good for you Tristessa,
    Sounds like you have a great afternoon and can't wait to see what you got.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Great for you Tristessa. I have gone to 3 vintage clothing fairs in San Francisco and Alameda. They had open changing rooms for women and one for men. I was dressed and used them to try on a few things. Women would come an go as they tried on their items. I made it a point to look at the wall when changing, but could not help getting into conversations with some of the women about how something fit them, looked on them, and to help zip up their dress. I probably couldn't do that everywhere!

Cool time. Sounds like you enjoyed the trip even in drab, will be looking forward to the picture purchases.

I would sometimes go shopping with my girlfriends on a Saturday morning dressed in drab.

I usually came home wearing the purchases.

One trick was to take a bag with shoes and a wig in it.

The girls loved the idea.

Worked a treat for me.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.

Sounds like you jumped at a great opportunity to buy a couple of dresses, despite the lack of a private dressing room. I'm glad they fit you, and will look forward to the pictures.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Nothing like Clearances!
    And nothing like buying dresses in drab.
    Definitely must see the purchases soon.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".