Thread: Looking for a therapist

If only dreams came true. susancheerleader's Avatar

Looking for a therapist

While I have been wearing women's clothes, I at first simply thought of it as "I am a cross dresser." But there is and always ha been a little something else going on inside me. I never could manage to figure it out and ignored it. In my fantasies I am always the female. But I put it as wishful thinking. Still, there is simething stirring inside me but I don't know what it is.
    Over the last couple years I have taken the so called COGIATI test many times. I usually get a result "category four... Probable transsexual. "
    I've often considered... Wanted, to see a therapist about things. But I have no money for it, and I have NO health or medical insurance. Anything would have to come out if my pocket. And that's why I haven't been to see one.
    But I really want to meet and talk to one, at least once. I live in Maine. Probably no one here can recommend one for me to see. But if you can, please do.

Banned Read only
    Although I don't have a recommendation for you, I'd suggest that an inexpensive way to start would be to visit a trans support group if there's one in your area, and just see if you identify well or not with the people there, their stories, etc. after you've visited it a few times. Although we all have different stories, experiences, and our gender dysphoria can sometimes be quite different from person to person, I've found that most of us have things in common. It's a useful thing to do if you want to explore whether or not you need to transition.

Thank you.

Banned Read only
    First, the COGIATI test is a bunch of BS. It's no more accurate than the "Which Disney character are you?" type of online tests. It has NO scientific basis. If you are serious, locate an experienced gender therapist near you and make an appointment. http://www.mainetransnet.org/ says they can help you locate a gender therapist give them a try.

As well, if you can't afford a therapist some places will take you on anyways and have a sliding scale. Based on your income they will be able to determine what you can pay. Its worth giving them a call and asking them.

Quote Originally Posted by Jorja View Post
    First, the COGIATI test is a bunch of BS. It's no more accurate than the "Which Disney character are you?" type of online tests. It has NO scientific basis. If you are serious, locate an experienced gender therapist near you and make an appointment. http://www.mainetransnet.org/ says they can help you locate a gender therapist give them a try.
    I agree. COGATI is no more accurate than your horoscope.

The CD/TS group is also good idea; I know of at least one active Maine member. There's also a large Boston area group that you may be able to meet up with, unless you're in the hinterlands of Maine.

A sliding scale is possible' I've done it.

I do have medical insurance, but all my therapists were out of network, so insurance only covered 60%.
    Hi, I'm Steffi and I'm a crossdresser... And I accept and celebrate both sides of me. Or, maybe I'm gender fluid.

Fenway Health in Boston is your best bet...You can put together the financial details online prior..

not sure of the name of therapist but address is 22 free street 4th floor portland
    Only friends can call me Amy,,, so if your reading this your a friend.

The Band QUEEN Quote " I want to be free"

Thanks. There are a couple good suggestions from you.