Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Is Crossdressing a Substitute for Something Else that You are Missing?

Is Crossdressing a Substitute for Something Else that You are Missing?

I can't remember in which thread I read this but someone commented that when their intimacy diminished with their SO that they seemed to have more interest in crossdressing.

This got me to thinking that "maybe" one of the varied reasons why at least some of us enjoy CDing is that it fills some space for something else that is missing in our life. I don't know if the two are related but in my case, as the years have gone by, I find myself more interested in dressing. But due to a medical condition that requires certain meds (and probably age), my libido seems to have suffered at about the same time. So I wonder if there is a connection.

Does anyone else feel that dressing may be filling an empty spot of some kind in their lives? Then again, it may simply be that I have more time and money now than I did 10-15 years ago; I don't know for sure.

Lacy PJs

Banned Read only
    I've been doing this since I was about 8. I really don't think anything was missing then. So as to the why, no I can't buy into your premise. However, as to the frequency, maybe it fills some gap for some people. Not for me.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    What I had was confusion about certain actions/thoughts that seemed not to belong to my male gender. Tina made all that disappear. In fact, my awareness that I need some Tina time is when everything is going well!

Definitely not in my case.

I am now retired but my days and nights are absolutely full with things to do both in and out of my home, lots of times on my own but also involving my wife who does not know that I CD.

Infact if anything I probably want to crossdress more now than I have in the last 60 odd years I have been dressing and I had plenty of opportunities during and in my working environment having been a long distance trucker.

Crossdressing also turns me on and it always has done.

Maybe I am different to a lot of people-(of cause I am I'm a crossdresser)- but it would be interesting to hear others views.

Jennifer. xxx
    LIFE IS NOT ABOUT WAITING FOR THE STORM TO PASS
    IT'S ABOUT DANCING IN THE RAIN.

I am more likely to want to dress when I'm in a rough place, because it soothes me and doing my makeup gives me a welcome distraction, but I still have desire to dress when things are great, too. Moreso now that I've really accepted and embraced this part of myself. I think I used to let myself indulge what I then considered a "vice" when I felt bad, but was more able to suppress the urges when feeling ok. Then I again, I used to struggle with depression a lot, so maybe repression wasn't working so hot after all. Now I choose which gender I want to express based on which qualities I want present, which may be related to my mood, but is much less about coping than it used to be.

Oh, probably for some of us.
    But the missing thing(s) may be different for each of us who are in that group.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I'm opposite LOL...there has never been anything missing in my life causing me to crossdress, but when I AM missing something ( money) i seemed to have put crossdressing on hold in the past......hopefully that money thing will never happen again...I'm living right at the poverty line now....and i feel rich.

Quote Originally Posted by Tristessa View Post
    I am more likely to want to dress when I'm in a rough place, because it soothes me .....
    Tristessa quote is a good one...and I agree. I often want to dress more when stressed and I do believe it fills some emptiness. I grew up in a difficult place at home and often wonder if I hadn't if I would do it...but I do...and I am comfortable with it now.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 07-09-2015 at 01:49 AM.

It fills a need, yes, but it doesn't take away from anything. It's like when you want ice cream, then ice cream fills the need. It doesn't take away from your love of steak.

Platinum Member
    Nope. As many others, the roots go back to early childhood. I did everything I could as a teen and young adult to put this part of me away or at least hide it, while pursuing all the usual male interests....girls, sports, outdoor activities and eventually the military, marriage and fatherhood. Through all of that, and efforts to put it aside, and even longer periods of self loathing, this remained a part of me.

When I finally came to grips with the fact, the reality, that I was transgendered, the missing piece was found. I feel far more complete today than I ever did during years spent in denial.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I too am older. My desire used to be more sexually oriented (I'd rather have sex with a woman dressed than not or with myself dressed as a woman). While that has not diminished considerably, my desire to dress as a woman to BE a woman has intensified. I now know that even when I was younger I wanted to be a girl. I remember that now, which I repressed for many years. Being a husband, a provider and a father, I denied myself for many years, except for the occasional chance.

Societal pressure and acceptance is massive. I think that being a woman can be a sort of escape, but can also put us in touch with a side of ourselves that we really desire, the feminine side, which we see as devoid of the manly competition, the responsibility and can enjoy the softer side, the silky fabrics, the beautiful designs and more benign thoughts which we perceive to be the positives of being a woman. But then, maybe I'm totally whacko!

Due to the serious health issue with s/o and the stress it brings ,dressing no matter how far or for how long gives me an inner peace that is not achieved elsewhere . also as I am older 60 and times have changed a bit I might also be getting some inner calm from being able to connect with past feelings , feelings which would not have been allowed to shown given the typical norm of the day phylis anne

Banned Read only
    Testosterone?! Sorry, I just had to add some levity to the thread on my way out for the night 😎

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Yes, Lacy. But, I'm not sure which came first, the chicken or the egg?

I'm 70 and began dressing after my separation in my 50's. While sex wasn't involved initially, it came up eventually. And, continues today.

I was dating until my middle sixties. But, my involvement with dressing, going out with other dressers, and Sherry became overwhelming. And, not something I felt like I could discuss with the older women I dated.

So, have I stopped dating because my secret dressing became too all consuming or because of my attraction to Sherry? At this point I don't know----
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

Back when I first started dressing I thought it was to fill the need for something feminine in place of a relationship. I had just gone through a devastating break up. Here I am now twenty years later and happily married, have a fulfiling career, plenty of friends, but still have the desire to dress. If dressing is a substitute for something else then I am clueless as to what it could be.
    Bridget
    Your friendly, neighborhood cyber CD.

Banned Read only
    Lacy,
    It may or may not have been me you are referring to but I have commented more in loved ones about the total loss of intimacy over the last ten years. I also at some point said that the way my dressing started I have the need to share it with female partner . My libido hasn't dropped very much and my wife knows this and also is aware that she is being substituted by my dressing , Autogynerphilia may come into this but she isn't aware of that label !
    I don't think more time and money come into it, I feel I've just accepted what I feel and want to express it more, being in a DADT situation doesn't affect those feelings , it just makes it more difficult for everyone to live with it.
    Last edited by Teresa; 07-09-2015 at 07:50 AM.

I just find dresses more comfortable than pants and I agree that my desire to dress is often greater when I am under stressi

For those who hunt and fish, garden, play bridge or badminton, jog, golf, or do yoga, are those substitutes for something missing? The idea that crossdressers are flawed won't go over very well, especially here.

Being masculine tends to foster courage and strength while being feminine tends to foster compassion and grace. All of us can express all of those qualities if we so choose to. It's just a matter of choosing to express something, not something we are lacking.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Aspiring Member
    To some people that don't understand what we go through to them we are filling in something that they think we are missing in our lives. You could say the same thing about what other people do in their own time. Some like to restore cars, planes or go fishing and hunting what are they missing in their lives?

Reality Check
    I don't think any of us can identify exactly why we like to dress in women's clothes or try to look and act like a woman. For some, it might be what you suggest, for others it might be something different.

To the original question "Does anyone else feel that dressing may be filling an empty spot of some kind in their lives?" my response would be no, not at all. It's simply something I enjoy doing. Sure...there are challenges associated with it, but overcoming those challenges adds to the satisfaction and enjoyment.

Karen

If it is I haven't found what I'm missing yet so still into being a gurl and dressing and loving it too!

If only you could see me sarahcsc's Avatar
    Hi,

I have been searching for that missing something too and had to live a hermit's life in India for awhile to figure out an important truth (for myself).

That there is always something 'missing' as long as we keep 'searching'. It is our 'search' that keeps us empty.

We live in a culture where one is encouraged to 'act' in order to 'acquire' something (ie. happiness, satisfaction).

This is mostly true and applicable to secular matters but not anything else.

I think the answers to most of life's biggest questions become obvious only when we stopped searching for it.

But one must often exhaust all avenues of searching before one can truly stop, wherein lies the paradox.

We must resist the temptation to looking for what is missing, but just enjoy the present moment.

Maybe happiness/satisfaction/meaningfulness was there all along, we just didn't see it because we looked right pass it.

Love,
    S
    "The question isn't who is going to let me; it's who is going to stop me" - Ayn Rand

I started dressing at around 6 years old, the only thing my life lacked at that time was a wardrobe as pretty as my sisters!
    Over the years I've stopped and started back up dressing 4 or 5 times, I've gone years without ever putting on a pair of panties, or anything else. Sometimes I would go back to dressing as a relief for stress during hard times, But more often than not, I started back dressing just because I missed it, and I felt better when I do dress regularly.
    I've found when I dress regularly I'm a very happy person, I enjoy life and the people around me, and keep a very positive attitude.
    When I don't dress for a long while, I get moody, sullen, and become a very negative, argumentative person, and I don't like me like that.
    Magic is the art of changing consciousness at will.