Thread: Training Issue

Training Issue

I reported my 3 month HRT levels a few days ago. I am quite happy with the results so far. My estrogen level is good while my testosterone levels are quite low. I have never felt better emotionally.

However, I am having trouble training. I ran the Boston Marathon on April 20th, which was the day I started HRT. I took some time off to heal and have tried to start training again the last 4 weeks. I knew I wouldn't be able to run as strong as before. I just did not know how drastically it would affect me. I am only running 3 times a week at a much slower pace. It does not seem to be improving. Yesterday I had planned on running 9 easy miles. It was a disaster. I could only run 5 and walk 1.
    I just don't have the strength or endurance.

Has anyone faced this? Is there any hope of acclimating to the HRT? I realize I have to run slower but I really want to keep running. I am already qualified for next year's Boston Marathon. If there is no hope I guess I will join a gym.

Suzanne
    Last edited by Suzanne F; 07-13-2015 at 10:16 AM.

I've had to deal with the idea that I am in early transition, and am quite strong (for a woman), but am just way down from where I was two years ago as far as strength goes.
    and don't get me started on the many new meanings of "trans fat" I've discovered.

Silver Member
    Yes, you will acclimate. I would say it took at least a year and a half for me. (I'm not an athlete.) I'm sure you know, though, that acclimatizing doesn't mean your performance levels will be what they were.

I'm currently in the middle of a move. I am able to spend 8 to 10 hours of hard lifting, packing and moving. In the early months of hormones, I would've been fried in a couple of hours. On the other hand, I can't move some stuff out that I moved in by myself. I am using dollies and hand trucks for things I picked up and carried in, sometimes in multiples. In the early months of hormones, I could not work past the consumption of my immediate glycogen stores, if even that long (aerobic capacity was kaput, too).

Give yourself time. There are plenty of female athletes with incredible endurance and reserve capabilities.
    Lea

Banned Read only
    I was sure I posted a reply early this morning. Guess not.

It is going to take some time for your body to adjust. You are no longer fueled by testosterone. You probably do not have that gut it out type of endurance you once had. It will be almost like starting all over for a while. Also, the spiro not only will make you urinate but it will make you feel tired. That being said, now is the time to correct any bad habits to form, breathing and stride.

Back when I first started HRT/Spiro I was a long distance ocean swimmer (25 -50 miles). I was never great but I was consistent. The HRT/Spiro combination cut me down drastically (5 miles if I was lucky). It took just about a year of everyday training to get back what I had lost.

Good Luck, I know you can do it!

Jorga,
    Thank you! I thought i had lost my mind. Ok I promise to keep at it. I may have become a little proud about my accomplishments. It may be God's way of reminding g me to be grateful to just be running around in beautiful Northern California.
    Suzanne

You haven't been on hormones long enough to lose any appreciable muscle mass. Give your body some time to acclimate. I have been on HRT for 3 years. I have lost muscle mass. I swim approx 4800 yards a week. I have noticed that I don't swim as strong as I did 3 years ago. It takes a bit more effort to match the times I was swimming when I had testosterone coursing through my system. I have 4 friends that are long distance runners. 3 are preop and run anywhere from 5-15 miles daily. I have another friend postop that runs 5 miles 3x a week.

Stick with it you'll adapt.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Nope Jorja, you are not loosing your mind!! I was thinking the same thing, so glad I am not the only one!! My post also magically disappeared???!!!

In a nutshell Suzanne, give yourself time to adjust. While I am not the athlete you are, I have still been able to run 5km 3 times a week on my lunch hour with no drop in performance. But I don hydrate like a mad woman on a mission !!

However, I did feel tired after doing just one deep dive (100 feet+) the other day, where I could spend 5 or 6 hours a day underwater with no issues. But I think I broke my own rule and did not drink enough water as I felt fine in the evening after I did begin to hydrate.

So, you may have to ease yourself back into it, along with hydration as your body adusts

Hope it goes well....

Erin
    Seize the day. Life is short, and you're dead a long time...just sayin' ...

Hey Suzanne, as you know I'm about a month ahead of you on HRT and I too am feeling just a tad weaker than I used to. After a bout with Lymes about 6 years ago, I started upper body exercises to help strengthen myself as I put weight back on. I've continued the program after my full recovery as it was handy for canoeing maneuvers and lifting boats. But the past few weeks I'm having a tough time completing the work outs. I put this down to the meds involved, and like the others, figured I'd have a few setbacks along the way. The past week has seemed a bit easier to do the weight routines, so I'm going to stick with it. Hope you do too!
    Be yourself. Everyone else is taken!

I too am a distance runner. Have been for almost 30 years. I am almost 3 years on HRT. My endurance and speed dropped considerably when I started. I took off this past winter to mentally recharge. Been back at it for a couple of months and even though it took a few weeks to get going again, now I'm almost back to my previous endurance levels. However I'm about a minute per mile slower than I used to be.
    Like everyone else said, stay hydrated and keep at it. It'll come back to you. The body remembers. You just need to reboot.