Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Have you video taped yourself?

Aspiring Member

Have you video taped yourself?

OK, this post is not about sex tapes. No, it's about seeing yourself as you are when dressed.

Or, actually, seeing yourself walking when dressed.

I've recently taken my camcorder and taped myself walking, standing, sitting, bending and otherwise doing normal everyday things while dressed.

What an eye opener!

You know the posture and walking gate we learned as men? Well, I thought I had the female walk down until I saw myself on tape. Arggggg!

I also noted that I have a terrible tendency to bend my head down when I walk. Mistake! When I do that, I look like a male gorilla shuffling along.

And that side to side shuffle we guys have? Well, I thought I had that under control until I saw myself on camera. Again - Arggggg!

So, lots of work yet to do. We can't change our body too much, but we sure can change how we move.

Get out your camera and see what I'm talking about.

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    I did once when dressed up and jamming on the bass.

Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I've used my phone camera to pan around my head from different angles and as much as I can see when I hold it out, in my bathroom we have 3 mirrors including a full body mirror so I can get a nice 360 view but as far as walking etc goes I probably suck at that

Sarah x
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

I'm fortunate in that I create video as part of my work so I do often take the opportunity to check out my movement. It is discouraging at first, but it gives you a chance to see all the stuff that nobody will tell you. Head posture is a very male tell. So is the position of your feet/legs when you walk up to something and stop (men brace to engage.) Other things to check are bending over to pick something up (men bow their backs more) and sitting at a table and drinking from a glass (men quaff.) In all cases men stick their elbows out more, brace more and in general take up more room. "Male privilege" is telegraphed in most movements.

I've taken videos of myself with my camera and it was an eye opening experience. As girly as I felt dressed I noticed that I was still walking like a dude and this made me look masculine even while wearing a dress. It does highlight a lot of the stuff that you can't see for yourself

Some thirty years ago I video taped myself dancing to popular songs of the time. I used those tapes to get a lot of feedback and it helped to improve my presentation and ability to entertain.
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Shoes, a woman's passion! debbeelee1's Avatar
    The first time I video taped myself I thought I looked like a halfback walking back to the huddle! After lots and lots of practice, I've got much more feminine mannerisms!
    Hugs and kisses,
    Debbee!

Video has been a part of me whatever I'm doing.
    I'm glad that I had a friend and a slim frame when I started.
    Passing was never an issue.
    "Missed it by that much!"

Been there - done that; and its true - takes a lot of practice to telescope ones femininity through movements. No matter how hard we try that's one sure way of being made - through observation, just keep moving,,,,,,,,,,,,................Debra

Banned Read only
    I've taken a couple of videos of me walking in heels. It wasn't bad, but it wasn't as much movement as I had thought; maybe half.

DeeAnn

I haven't done that yet. It's difficult enough to see myself in the mirror. However, you make a good point in observing my actions to to become better at mimicking the behavior of real women.

Like you, I tend to walk like a Gorilla with my head down. I am aware that I must hold my head high with shoulders back, but perhaps I need to take your advice to discover if I'm as effective as I think I am. I really do desire to blend in to the point that it probably affects the amount of fun I have.

I've recorded myself walking down a hallway and back, to check my walk and my look. Helped a lot to improve my walk and posture!

Platinum Member
    Hi Sandie, Probably 25 or 30 yrs. ago and I could see what I was doing wrong.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Never even thought of this. Good idea!

Is it just me or......... Carroll's Avatar
    Just once, a month ago with me playing my drum set. It's posted in the picture/video section
    Drumming, My other hobby

Yes Sandie, I have used my I pad to video myself walking, and can totally relate to all you have said.😢

Tina

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I have done several in the past.
    Its a good way to evaluate your presentation.
    I think the first one I did was me bitching about the clothes dryer not drying properly. My poor partner at the time was not too keen on unclogging the vent pipe for me . I was in girl mode I shouldn't have to do it right?
    Last edited by Tracii G; 07-20-2015 at 09:36 PM.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    I did it when I was first starting out ...when i was curious what i looked like and wanted to see how i looked walking in heels too....those old vhs tapes are priceless I heard bootleg copies go for serious money on ebay.....Adriana in all Latex and 7....yes...7 inch heels....LOL.....after walking in them...anything under 5 is like a sneaker now LOL....me and Kristen (aka hell on heels) from this forum used to send videos of ourselves dressed up being silly too...

Gone to live my life
    Hi Sandie,

Yup, been there done that for the exact same reasons and you are right . . . major eye opener. I did a lot of natural observation of women when first learning to present and thought I had a lot of the mannerisms down . . . umm NOPE! The video helped me refine and with practice things got better. I still pull the old video camera out now and then just to confirm but it gets less and less as time goes on.

Cheers

Isha

I've done a few of me walking and posted them on youtube for a time. More recently I've done more of an OOTD type just showing off my outfit as I'm all dolled up.
    I don't dress to impress, I dress to outdress

Banned Spammer
    No, but I will now. I get posture and presentation tips all the time (thank you Dear!), but it's one of those motor-technical things like, oddly, lifting weights. Don't expect gorgeous perfection until your form is correct.

I have taken quite a lot of videos of myself and have always been very happy with the results. I don't make any great effort to change the way I move but feeling feminine does seems to naturally make my movements be more like a woman's. I don't think anyone else seeing the video would say that my body motion is typically that of a male.

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    So, well, yeah! I seem to have a big collection of video selfies.
    It's all part of the fun.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Reality Check
    Yes I have and like you, I was not pleased with the results. I use video and still photos to try to improve my look. I've got a ways to go though.

The biggest problem with video recording is that without someone else doing the recording, about all you can do is walk away from the camera and back towards it.

Banned Read only
    Yes, I have video. Barnum and Bailey Circus wanted to know if I wanted a job!