Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: Two stories: A month of carrying a purse. A beautiful man en-femme!

It seems that the difference is whether you own it, or are embarrassed by it. That's why I call my purse a purse, not a masculine euphemism. If I were embarrassed and tried to hide it that would make me a target.

If Shakespeare's Petruccio, a man's man if there ever was one, can say "Crowns in my purse I have..." then I can carry a purse too!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Carried my purse in male mode all day today. *grins* Went to a doctor's appointment, and neither the receptionist nor the male nurse batted an eye at me carrying the purse. Then went and had lunch. No reaction from the cashier or anyone in the restaurant. Then to my bank. Tellers who have known me for years didn't react at all to my purse. Then to the grocery store. Same lack of reactions. And finally out to dinner with my daughter...

It was much more convenient to have the purse, with my iPad in it as well as the stuff that normally is in my pockets, plus my cell phone that is normally in a belt pouch of its own. And I still had room for more stuff, if I had needed it!

I'm so jealous of women being able to carry purses, they're so convenient! I'm too chicken to carry one in male mode unfortunately

Don't be chicken, you got this!

Nobody will say a word, honest!!

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    These are my two everyday purses I use in boy or girl mode.
    Attached Images Attached Images

MM, cute purse, I have been using one even in drab for a couple months. Some will look, but like you say own it.
    It is female but also super convenient.

Quote Originally Posted by kimdl93 View Post
    Interesting encounter. It's hard to say what the other person had on her mind. But, nonetheless, it's nice to see others like ourselves out, and confident in public.
    ...and you are still the only one who even mentioned story #2.

<3

- MM
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

MM,

I'm one of those chickens (old hens??) who doesn't carry a purse in male mode but has this wondrous big ole purse in comfy mode that, yes, carries everything it seems. (A purse is really one of the joys of womanhood, isn't it?) But now maybe you've convinced me to carry one all of the time. Hmm, let's see, here's this guy with a purse with 6 lipsticks, mascaras, compacts ....

Maybe the solution is just being en femme all the time???
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Moose - I'm afraid I'll have to be the weedy male amongst all this broad-shouldered femininityness...

But first of all I like the 'bag in question' Reminds a little of a lot of Liberty designs - verging on art nouveau... quite retro hippy.

Back to being male...

Out as male means jeans, pockets allocated as follows: door keys (stay in the car); car keys (left front); handkerchief and phone (left rear); wallet (right rear); mini-Leatherman (silly little front right pocket); coins (right front)

Ta-Da!!

If I need to brush my hair I have five fingers on each hand for that purpose.
    I never need to check make up or remind myself how beautiful I am looking so don't even use the vanity mirror in the car.

Now going-girl is a different matter entirely...

How different the worlds of male and female are...

And story 2: A rare but pleasing occurrence, I'm sure (but everyone else here is just obsessed with handbags! )

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Out as male means jeans, pockets allocated as follows: door keys (stay in the car); car keys (left front); handkerchief and phone (left rear); wallet (right rear); mini-Leatherman (silly little front right pocket); coins (right front)
    I get to blame my wife for some of this... Since I wear girl-jeans now they tend to be form fitting. The wallet in the back right pocket was 'ruining the view'.

I love my woman

- MM

Reality Check
    When I was just out of high school, I was apprenticed to a jeweler who worked in the downtown area of a large city. He taught me to wear my wallet in a front pocket so it would be harder for a pickpocket to steal. Half a century later, that's where I still carry it. I did not become a jeweler though.

Platinum Member
    Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    ...and you are still the only one who even mentioned story #2.

<3

- MM
    I guess we each focus on what is most significant to us as individuals. Your description created such a vivid mental image of this beautiful, powerful, confident person.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hey Mechamoose!

1)
    I have a purse/backpack ("handbag") that I've carried in male mode for the last few weeks of winter this year, loved it. I found it too bulky for summer but I might give it another go because there is just too much stuff in male mode lately. I use two different women's wallets (one while at work and one while home-different contents for different lifestyles) and they are both a bit big for my pockets.

I'm also frequently carrying Purple Puppy GG's Coach purse while shopping. I feel right at home with it there and quickly forget that I'm carrying it. She says she likes not having to haul it all around at times but she says I get more looks that I don't see. I see some of these looks but I just don't care either.

While carrying my bag in male mode I have received the token bad attempts at humor about my bag, "It matches your outfit." or "Nice purse." I always respectfully thank the individual and move on. Many times they actually catch that it is MY purse.

It is great to read that so many here are going about their lives and trying to who they are deep down.

2)
    Ahh, to just sit and people watch on Bosotn Common...one of my favs in town.

I was thinking, maybe the person you read was actually nervous that you recognized their situation? It could be that they were actually afraid you would draw attention to them. I noticed one of us at The Pheasant Lane Mall in Nashua, beautiful tall long haired blonde in leather pants and simple top with heels. We caught eyes and I smiled, trying to compliment her with eye contact rather than verbally. She picked up that I had read her and her eyes dropped to the ground, her pace quickened and a look of fear rushed across her face, the exact opposite of my intent.

I wish there were a way to signal peers like her in the above situation so she'd know without drawing attention to either of us because it was obvious that she didn't want any undue attention given to her.

-Erika

EDITED:
    PS: I didn't even read many of the replies before writing the above post. I thought to myself, "There will be more comments about purses than the strong confident one you saw." I replied before even noticing that only 2 others posted about her.
    Last edited by Erika Lyne; 07-25-2015 at 11:05 AM.
    **Just trying to happily be me.**

Hugs!
    -E

Quote Originally Posted by Erika Lyne View Post
    I wish there were a way to signal peers like her
    If I had rating points, I'd be making deals to acquire an absurd amount for this.

I wish there was some secret signal. In the LGB world it can be signaled by dress, buttons, colors, etc

How do you signal while you are actively trying to hide?

- MM

Gone to live my life
    Hi MM,

Cute story and thanks for sharing. I only carry a person when I identify as a woman but I do have a funny story. I was dressed complete with purse and was meeting with a work colleague to give him the name of a contact he needed for work. I went to his desk before leaving work and had to rummage through my purse to find the business card. While he was waiting for me to find the business card he was fishing through his backpack to find a memory stick with a document I needed. So I am rummaging and he is rummaging and then he looks up and says "Man, how can you get used to carrying a purse and having to dig through it for things . . . so much easier as a guy don't you think?" I smiled back and said "So says the guy rummaging through his purse". He looked shocked and said "Not the same thing . . . this is a backpack" to which I replied "You keep telling yourself that" BTW I found the business card before he found the memory stick.

Cheers

Isha

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Isha I'll bet that comment messed him up to the point he won't be using the back pack much anymore at work.

I have had comments from women like oh thats a cute bag or you are the first guy I have seen carrying a purse in a long time.
    Had one say purses are so handy I'm surprised most men don't carry them.
    Its handy is the main reason I like to carry one.
    Last edited by Tracii G; 07-25-2015 at 11:20 AM.

It could be that they were actually afraid you would draw attention to them.
    Just so it is said, I couldn't have drawn more attention than her without involving fireworks or some other form of explosives. I seriously doubt she was worried about much of anything.

<3

- MM

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    "You keep telling yourself that" BTW I found the business card before he found the memory stick.
    OMG! I wish there were a LIKE Button on this message board! Isha, this was a great example of how much men and women are alike but hate to admit it. I've done similar but I was always met with a hostile remark to follow.

MM,
    I thought about this so many times. If we had a symbol like a gay pride it would out us and that isn't our objective. If we wore a button much like the first gay people uniting with the pink upside down triangle of the late eighties and early nineties it too would out us. The only solution I could possibly find is to have a large series of small pins all completely different so there is not just one symbol--say about 15 -20 different designs. It would be too many for the public to track and remember but as a member-- we each would know. Just a thought.

-E

Hugs!
    -E

the pink upside down triangle of the late eighties and early nineties it too would out us.
    1940's, actually. The triangle and other symbols

But the problem remains. How *can* you signal while trying to blend?

- MM

Just so it is said, I couldn't have drawn more attention... I seriously doubt she was worried about much of anything.
    True, maybe "drawing attention" is not my best choice of words.

Maybe she was receiving the wrong signals from you is a better way. For example, I people watch...a lot. If I catch a man's eye as a man it is either a challenge or an acknowledgement of manhood. If I catch a woman's eye, she frequently responds in a submissive, threatened posture--eyes down, shoulders slouch, pace quickens. I am never challenging a man, nor deliberately acknowledging any unspoken male code. I am never trying to dominate a woman or cause her to be uncomfortable. If I am watching a man it is trying to figure what makes him attractive to a woman. If I'm looking at a woman it is to admire something about her, not objectify her.

Your person in The Common may have given you or the public the "chip on her shoulder " attitude because she interpreted the way she was being looked at as a threat and stand THAT confident was a defense mechanism.

I wasn't there, I don't know what you saw or who she is or how she is in day-to-day life. I'm just throwing this out there. Either way, I am "stoked" that you were "stoked" to find one like you, like us, confident enough to own it on The Common.

-E

1940's, actually. The triangle and other symbols

But the problem remains. How *can* you signal while trying to blend?

- MM

The Nazi pink triangle was worn pointing up as far as I remeber from all historical references in school as well as those that I can find on line and it was purely a negative, socitial imposed symbol. The inverted pink triangle was a derivative of this very symbol but worn by choice as a sign of unity and pride among the homosexual culture of the 80-90s. It was later dropped because of the historical reference and the rainbow flag later adopted in its place. It is this voluntary sub-culture identification that I speak of, not a historical atrocity.
    Last edited by Katey888; 07-25-2015 at 03:44 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged - please use edit post to add to existing post rather than adding a successive post...

Hugs!
    -E

I actually *like* being wrong!

Thank you for correcting this old bird!

- MM

I have carried one of several leather shoulder bags dressed as both male or female for about 15 years. Have not had any negative comments for many years (not even from strangers)
    Last edited by bridget thronton; 07-25-2015 at 02:28 PM.

Aspiring Member
    Men often make fun of a woman's purse and all she carries in it. But once you start carrying one, you realize how convenient it is and you want it all the time. I'm even tempted to get a man's purse for when I'm out in drab.

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    Hi MM,

Cute story and thanks for sharing. I only carry a PERSON when I identify as a woman but I do have a funny story.

Cheers

Isha
    Dear Isha,

Now THAT creates a great image!!

Have a great day,

Claire
    Last edited by Claire Cook; 07-26-2015 at 06:24 AM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Way back when I was in the Air Force one of the women on the site carried an olive drab canvas GI tool bag as her purse when on duty. It matched the fatigue uniform reasonably well in the days before the camo uniforms.
    "But what is Truth? Is Truth unchanging law?
    We both have truths - are mine the same as yours?"