Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Telling your partner - what are the odds of success?

Telling your partner - what are the odds of success?

Being in the closet, I always read with interest the 'should I tell or not' debates which usually come down to the same good advice that only you can make that choice and are best placed to know whether your SO will accept you or not.

However, I wonder statistically what is the likely reaction? Now I know that asking this question on this forum won't give the actual answer as the type of crossdresser that responds on this forum probably isn't representative of the actual population. Even so, I think it will be interesting to see what we all think.

My guess is that the odds are something like this:

Partner fully accepts 15%
    Supportive but DADT 25%
    Fairly neutral but DADT 25%
    Disapproves but relationship continues 25%
    Relationship ends 10%

What do you think?

Banned Read only
    Sarah,
    I can only comment from my own situation but I would say your figures are about right if you look at the attitude across the spectrum of people !
    It may be interesting if the question was posed to members but I guess you'd have to treat TG and TS relationships differently . I will apologise if this has been done and dusted before !

Going back to your figures I would guess I fall into the 25% that disapproves but relationship continues but then that's only my assumption because I'm in a DADT situation but not supportive or neutral but more tolerates ! Sorry to add an extra sub-section !

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Sarah,

Can I suggest it is not a straight forward process. Whereas now I arguably have one of the most supportive spouses it was not always that way. My initial coming out was not planned well, not researched and did not provide her with the advice, comfort and support that was clearly required. I was in your bottom 25% staring down that final 10% with great fear...

It took well over a year, support from here (thanks FAB), contact locally with other wives, contact with other CD/TG/TS individuals and serious commitment on both our parts to learn, communicate and keep no secrets... We went slowly from being basically separated but under the same roof to a wonderfully rekindled relationship...

So it's not just a one off process, with a number of outcomes but a planned journey of highs and lows, sacrifice and struggle, learning and understanding. If the relationship strong at the outcome it can be made stronger. If there are already cracks and weaknesses, well, it might not survive the stress.

Never be forced into the decision, you need to pick the time and the place.... Research the mistakes others have made and learn from them. Read into the victories, copy what you think might work.

I really wish you luck... But always remember the outcome can vary from wonderful to catastrophic, and so much of up to you.
    Call me Donna, please

Hi Sarah,

It's going to be timing, it might even be a gradual thing. When the gov is planning something (and they do), they let it out in dribs and drabs, not one big shock, cos that is how people assimilate and gradually change their acceptance; they don't even notice. So I think one big giant shock is really rough on the relationship, whereas "can we play dressing up" or "i fancy trying out those / your knickers" etc will come across as little shifts, and seem fun. I think the more its fun/game and the less its a serious "i must present as a woman" then the better it will go / be paced.

xxx Pamela
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

I would say a lot can depend on how you tell your partner.

The link in my signature has some good information.

Explaining against getting caught would seem to be better as you get to choose the time and the place.

Sadly I dont think we will ever know as some will be so secretive the wont even join a forum.
    Shelly

Super Moderator....How to tell your partner......Abbreviations

Platinum Member

Some Times You Win & Some times You don't.

Hi Sarah, That sounds like a crap shoot, You just have to roll the dice and see what happens.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

There are many variations on this. My wife is supportive but does not go out with me. We shop for makeup and she will pick me up a nice outfit if she sees something she knows I like. I wish she would go out but I love and respect her wishes.

Also, I think the acceptance changes over time, even over a long time. Some partners might be initially OK with it, but as the years go by they get fed up. Overall, I think the chances of it working out well are not terribly good.

Banned Spammer
    I think such figures would impossible to really tabulate, but you present an experiential estimate of your own perception, and so therefore that has a fair amount of validity from the start in an expectational sense. I can't say that my figures would be significantly different, although our derivational bases might differ substantially.

Without assigning numbers (they can often obscure as much as reflect), I think it is very safe to say that a fully accepting partner is well outside the standard deviation, so if you have one, stick to that like glue because the odds of a second coming along are slim indeed.

Reality Check
    Every person and every relationship is different. And people and relationships change with time. Any "odds" or percentages would be a guess and meaningless for an individual person or relationship.

In my case, I introduced my wife to my crossdressing slowly, piece by piece rather than just walking into the room fully disguised as a female. Doing it slowly gave her the change to say "That's enough." (she didn't). It was also less of a shock.

So she accepts. I wouldn't say she "fully accepts", she is not willing to let friends, family and neighbors know and I don't think she is ready to go out in public with me, but I can dress around her without issues and we shop together and she will pick out clothes for me.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Sarah,

I truly believe statistics are not going to be that specific but probably close to what you surmise. Each relationship is different and acceptance or not is going to hinge on a variety of variables, some you can control and some you cannot. For example, timing and mode of delivery will have an affect on how your SO takes things. Specifically, was it a shock factor (walking in on you dressed or just nonchalantly saying "FYI I like to dress like a girl ... want to order pizza and do our nails") or was research done and delivery given with tact and diplomacy. Now what you cannot control is your SOs level of acceptance so that is the wild card in the equation. Finally, if acceptance (on some level) is given, do you continue to keep an open dialogue and discuss when things begin to ramp up . . . communication is key.

As many have said, initial acceptance is one thing . . . continued acceptance is another. If you start off by saying hey it is just clothes and two months later are thinking HRT well just saying . . . that could (not always) be a game changer.

Cheers

Isha

It is almost entirely decided by you and her. What are doing with your CD behaviour? What are you trying for? Do you even know? How lucid can you be with the explanation? What is her attitude on trans people? What sort of upbringing? How important is other peoples attitude to her? What does she see in you? What does she like about you? ( the you she knows at the moment )

When I told my then to be GF, I had realised that this relationship, if it got off the ground, was going to be important. I, personally, couldn't start it on a false footing. I was virtually certain she wouldn't out me. I was fairly certain that she wouldn't throw me out of her apartment. I felt there was a good chance she would be at least, cool about it. I actually put it at something less than 50% that she would be accepting, and it wouldn't stop the relationship.

Her reaction was.... cool. As in, that's what she said. "Oh, cool!" and carried on with the conversation.... with the added component of discussion about types of underwear. About 2 weeks later she got to see said underwear. I feel that my honesty was an important factor in her decision to go ahead.
    "Normal is what you get when you average out the weirdness that everybody has." Quote from my SO

Normal is a setting on a washing machine, or another word for average.

The fact that I wear a skirt as a male should not be taken as a comment on what you do, or do not wear, or how you wear it.

Banned Spammer
    My experience is precisely the same as Underdresser's. I knew almost right off the bat that this would have to be in the open (she already knew as it turns out and that was one of the reasons she picked me - go figure that one out gals). And I can only re-emphasize the point that it was critical to me because I also knew this one was a definite keeper and that I would have to fight - mostly myself - for her.

That was 7 years ago. We've had a difficult pre-empty nesting period that almost drove us into an unrecoverable personal doldrum of 'normality' - yes I used that non-word, but we have returned now with a greatly renewed base of honesty, openness, trust, renewal and a refreshed love for each other that is now exactly as it was in those thrilling early days - many do not get this chance.

My chance was and had to be 100% if I was to keep this relationship and my sanity, but in my case, the sneaky fox stacked the deck before the game started, to horribly mangle a metaphor. I am so glad she did though.

Banned Read only
    I disagree. There is a vocal minority which is quite common in all things. In fact, there is an interesting psychological phenomenon where people tend to remember the negatives even in the face of far more positive outcomes. You can see this in plane crashes or shark attacks. People think the ocean is dangerous, even with knowledge that only 7 people per year are attacked when more than 100 million hit the water! It's likely part of some self preservation instinct.

Those that have successful relationships tend to stay in the background (I am an exception generally). Cross dressing is just a "thing." It's a weird thing, for sure, but it's just a small part of any relationship. How successful the rest of your relationship is will determine your success. I won't deny that there will be a rare wife who has some really fundamentalist beliefs which may not allow her to look past this, but that is simply a corner case.

I would put the odds at 99.8% of wives will stay in the marriage. Those wives that will accept or accept but don't want to participate are probably more than 75%. Those relationships that end ALWAYS have other significant issues. Always. Cross dressing is NOT the reason women give up. You can read this in the posts from women who have ended relationships. It's painfully clear.

I strongly believe that after dating a person for a few weeks that it should really be mentioned, that way if they are not on board they can leave before the damage control has to be assessed. The % though really depend on where you are from, or the SO is from, past experiences etc etc. While america gets looked as the land of the free and liberty it also has the bible belt and the south which are easily seen as places you'd want to avoid being any part of the LGBT in, where as say New York would appear as more open due to its diversity.

Sarah x
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

I think perhaps the OP is confounding statistics and probabilities. It's possible to compile statistics about how many relationships ended up in which basket after a crossdresser did a reveal, but those statistics say nothing about the probability of success for someone revealing their crossdressing to an SO. Knowing that 15% of SOs are "fully supporting," say, does not describe your chances of being in one of those relationships as being 15% because there are contextual elements that affect the outcome. It's not a dice roll; it's a summation of hundreds of small bits of history, personality and even timing.

I'd argue that no probabilities can be compiled because we're not talking about randomly distributed events like dice rolls, card hands or lottery wins -- we're talking about human behavior and how people relate to each other.

Thank you for your replies. I'm not really surprised that's it's complicated.

Maybe I should have posed the question to "Of those who reveal, where is their relationship today"? I'm genuinely interested in how many sit in each category.

Sarah,

A few of us lucky ones came out with it at the start, and life is so much easier for us, so perhaps your question could focus more on those who are either still closeted or out after years of closeting first?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

It sounds like you want to collect statistics. Here's one data point:

I came out to my wife nearly two years after be married. I would put our relationship somewhere between "supportive but DADT" and "fully accepts."

I agree with Jennie that such statistic won't give you much information, they can be used to generate what are called "prior probabilities" but a more accurate prediction can be made if you condition on the relevant factors. I would say some of the most important factors are strength of existing relationship, wife's support and knowledge of LGBT issues, and the extent of the secrets you've kept from her.

Another interesting thread. However, my view of this topic is that statistics and odds are only meaningful for events that are repetitive. Coming out to your SO is a singularity that statistical information cannot predict.
    Putting the y (chromosome) in girly!

Quote Originally Posted by Jenniferathome View Post
    Cross dressing is just a "thing." [...]I would put the odds at 99.8% of wives will stay in the marriage.
    I agree with that, but with some huge caveats. Crossdressing initially starts out as "just a thing" but when partners see how important it is for a lot of us, even to the point they consider obsessive, it becomes a giant "thing" that causes tension. There was a thread earlier in which GGs could post anonymously how they really felt about their partners' crossdressing, and it wasn't pretty.

Although most partners will stay, the relationship will forever be altered after the big reveal, and not usually for the better.

Banned Spammer
    damn but we have some math brains in here!

How your spouse will react depends on so many factors - only a few of which are in your control. The biggest, of those you can do something about, is when and how you come clean. If she finds out at the beginning of the relationship and stays with you, then you are good to go.

Over time that acceptance might change. She may get tired of it or realize it is more/different than expected. It could become a convenient whipping post for other relationship issues, like a lack of trust or financial worries.

Also - and this shouldn't be discounted - you may change. You could in fact realize that it is not just crossdressing, and won't stay safely hidden. You may realize that you need to transition. It has happened before. In that case all bets are off.

Platinum Member
    There's no basis for making such an estimate....too many relevant variables are omitted. Things like age, religious background, other ideology, life experiences, family dynamics... Without any knowledge of these things, there's no basis for giving 'odds'
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Hello Sarah
    Only you know how your SO will react to you have THE TALK.
    Perhaps you could try some videos like kinky boots, hairspray or some thing with a Crossdressing theme to it to see her reaction.
    I think when i say this that all SO are different.
    As i say only you know your SO.

Carolyn xx

GOOD LUCK WHAT EVER YOU DO,
    BUT REMEMBER ONCE THE GENIE IS OUT OF THE BOTTLE THERE IS NO WAY SHE WILL GO BACK IN.
    Last edited by carolyn todd; 07-27-2015 at 05:20 AM.