Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: “HRT” but not transitioning?

“HRT” but not transitioning?

This may be a contradiction / oxymoron, but reading Alexandra’s post about HRT (and those started by others) led me to think about this. Are there any of us who have started HRT – perhaps low dosages – but DON’T plan on transitioning? Perhaps because we just want a touch of physical change – slightly softer skin, a bit a fat deposition here and there – or want to enhance our female emotional responses, or just to get more in touch with our female selves – yet for whatever reason do not want to live ultimately full-time as women? I may have missed earlier posts that addressed this question, but it seems as though those of us who begin HRT do so with the intent of transitioning.

Or is the use of female hormones – even in low doses – considered transitioning even if we choose to maintain at least a semblance of our male selves?

Thanks,

Claire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Silver Member
    Great question Claire that I can't answer but I would also like to know that answer. Does anyone do this under doctor's care?

There's that smile! CarlaWestin's Avatar
    So, now you have my attention. As of late, I've been thinking about slow HRT, if that's even a possibility. That would be a nice lead up as I approach retirement.
    I've waited so long for this time. Makeup is so frustrating. Shaking hands and I look so old. This was a mistake.
    My new maid's outfit is cute. Sure fits tight.
    And then I step into the bedroom and in the mirror, I see a beautiful woman looking back at me.
    Smile, Honey! You look fabulous!

Platinum Member
    Hi Claire, Maybe just enough HRT to just grow some nice BOOBIES.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    I'm not exactly sure what your asking, but I'm currently on a medically supervised low dose HRT. Do I want SRS, I don't think so, do I want to eventually end up full time presenting female, there is a possibility, but I'm certainly undecided... Why am I on HRT, I have my reasons, for one it has put an end to the roller coaster mood swings and dark, dangerous depression. Am I transitioning, well I think yes. Now I know this has been argued many times and I'll (again) get some criticism along the line that that I'm not actually transitioning... Am I transsexual, well yes, it took some massive introspection and lots of time with the Psych, but yes. Olympic qualifying denial, yep, weapons grade suppression, definitely, but there are reasons I don't think I can go along the transition path to its finality.
    Last edited by Donnagirl; 07-28-2015 at 06:56 AM.
    Call me Donna, please

I wish I was a tiny little thing with a figure that could 'pass', but I'm a moose.

I'm mentally and emotionally in the middle, but my body is all male. I'd love to enhance myself in a way that made me more 'femaleish'.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Yes, HRT is used without transition. NOT for it's physical effects, but to help align mind and body. If you want boobs, get implants.

tempted by implants ;-)
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Gone to live my life
    Hi Claire,

Awhile back, my therapist approached the subject of HRT . . . well more precisely T-Blockers and asked if it was something I wanted to pursue. I took the information home, did some research, talked to an endocrinologist friend of mine and reached out to some in the trans community I knew to get an informed opinion. In the end, it did not appeal to me as I was happy with my body and preferred to keep my T-levels where they are and not alter. I discussed this a few weeks later with my therapist and she added that T-blockers might help to make my mind a little clearer and lessen some the angst I feel at times when I had a need to present female but could not (this pre-dated my coming out in the work place). However, once I came out at work and was given the latitude to present in either gender, my angst dissipated and things leveled.

So HRT even low doses is not something I feel I need to function or present as a woman right now . . . what the future holds, who really knows.

Cheers

Isha

Reality Check
    This is something that should be discussed with your doctor and it should be done for a specific medical reason, not to soften skin or grow boobs. Men are often given testosterone replacement therapy if their testosterone is low. There's a reason for this, your body needs certain hormones.

You are going to have to get your treatment from a doctor anyway so discus this with him or her.

There is no such thing as HRT light. Low doses will effect change over a period of time. You can't pick and choose which changes you want and which changes you don't. Want bigger breasts? Get implants. Want bigger hips? Use padding of change your wardrobe. You most likely will experience softer skin, shrinking pores. Change in body odor. Change in libido and most experience erectile dysfunction.
    If you are married be prepared to lose it. Unless they are completely on board. Are you prepared to deal with binding your chest, wear looser clothing, etc if you do experience breast growth.

Side effects are increased to developing life threatening or ending deep vein thrombosis. Increased risk of heart attack. Increased risk of liver damage. Incressed risk of cancer. And many other health issues. They are serious chemicals that interact in our bodies at the cellular level. The decision to take them should also be as serious. They will over time rewire your brain and possibly your thought processes.
    Last edited by stefan37; 07-28-2015 at 07:34 AM.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Claire, to answer your question "is this transitioning" requires that one know how long transition lasts. To date, no one can or has answered that. For some it is a quick trip, for others, it is a lifetime. HRT, under medical supervision, may help you or may not. If you desire to dip a toe into those waters, it is your decision.

Hi all,

Donna, thank you for your response. Yes, this is the sort of thing that I have been wondering about.

Perhaps I should 'fess up a bit here. If you go through some of my old posts you'll know that in a way I am doing this. I've been taking finsasteride for BPH for a year -- this is an androgen blocker in that it inhibits the synthesis of some testosterone derivatives, obviously prescribed by my doctor. I have been taking nonprescription "female supplements" with all of my doctors' knowledge for a number of years. Isha, when my doctor asked if I wanted to consider estrogen, I said no. I have some very modest breast development, and whether this is a placebo effect or not I'm not sure, but I feel better emotionally than I have in years. (Possibly because I'm more comfortable en femme? Chicken egg question?) Does this mean I am transitioning? I don't think so.

Stephan and Krisi, I just saw your posts and agree completely.

I look forward to hearing from more of you about this question.

Hugs,

Claire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Hi Claire,

I need to point out a key differentiator here.

'forms' - This is what I want to look like

'hormones' - This is what I want to be like

Make of that what you will, but I see those choices as a bright, white line.

- MM
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Reality Check
    Considering all the dangers of testosterone blockers, I would think that if you're certain that's what you want, having the testicles surgically removed would be the safest procedure. You might have to take female hormones after that but they wouldn't be fighting male hormones.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Krisi I have thought about that route myself.

Quote Originally Posted by mechamoose View Post
    I wish I was a tiny little thing with a figure that could 'pass', but I'm a moose.

I'm mentally and emotionally in the middle, but my body is all male. I'd love to enhance myself in a way that made me more 'femaleish'.

- MM
    Never say "Never", MM - if former muscle-bound world-class Olympian and gold medal decathlon winner (how grueling is that?) Caitlyn (Bruce) Jenner can emerge from her cocoon as the butterfly she now is, there is hope for everyone...

Anyone considering testicle removal should get competent advice to "steer" them in the right direction.

I'm a T cancer survivor, I'm not looking to lose the other one.

I never felt different for losing one.

low doses would be like peeing in the wind if you want physical changes. If it worked at all, it would be so slow you would tire of it before you got anywhere. As mentioned above endos will use a lower dose for those who aren't quite sure or who cannot fully transition just to balance mind (again, see placebo effect with higher risk of side effects as above)
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by NicoleScott View Post
    Anyone considering testicle removal should get competent advice to "steer" them in the right direction.
    Hee hee LOL. "Steer". I get it.

What is the process? Surely you can't just call a dr and ask for an orchiotomy.

Banned Read only
    For an orchiectomy, you'll generally need a letter from a therapists.

I've observed that for some, low dosages of estradiol seem to provide some mitigation of GD, and minimal physical changes, although change you will. I've seen this in trans women who'd docs left them on way too low of a dosage.

Their mitigation of GD wasn't complete, they felt a whole lot better when their meds were correct.

The thing is, different people react differently to HRT, sometimes dramatically. You had best plan for the worst case, in 6-12 months looking noticeably different, if you start. That may or may not happen. There's no way to know in advance.

This isn't a cosmetic.
    Last edited by PaulaQ; 07-28-2015 at 02:20 PM. Reason: edit: goofed requirements

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    low doses would be like peeing in the wind if you want physical changes. If it worked at all, it would be so slow you would tire of it before you got anywhere. As mentioned above endos will use a lower dose for those who aren't quite sure or who cannot fully transition just to balance mind (again, see placebo effect with higher risk of side effects as above)
    Lorileah, I am on a low dose, lowest you can be on. This is because of heart probs in my past. It is not like pissing in the wind. I have almost B breasts. Actually look quite nice. Been on it for 1 1\2 years.

What is normal anyway? Rianna Humble's Avatar
    Quote Originally Posted by Claire Cook View Post
    is the use of female hormones – even in low doses – considered transitioning even if we choose to maintain at least a semblance of our male selves?
    According to the World Professional Association for Transgender Health's latest Standards of Care
    Hormone therapy must be individualized based on a patient’s goals, the risk/benefit ratio of medications, the presence of other medical conditions, and consideration of social and economic issues. Hormone therapy can provide significant comfort to patients who do not wish to make a social gender role transition
    So it is possible to take hormones under medical supervision without the aim of transition, but it is not something to be undertaken lightly
    Check out this link if you are wondering about joining Safe Haven.

This above all: To thine own self be true, And it must follow, as the night the day, Thou canst not then be false to any

Galileo said "You cannot teach a man anything" and they accuse ME of being sexist

Never ascribe to malice that which can be easily explained by sheer stupidity