Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: “HRT” but not transitioning?

Actually there are doctors that will do an orchi with no letters. Most of the surgeons that do SRS require one letter for an orchi. For SRS they require 2 as specified in WPATH.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Taking hormones carries a serious risk of medical complications. Most notably cancer, which I (and I'm sure others here) can attest, is a thing you want nothing to do with, ever. Period. Cancer is bad, m'kay?

If you're TS, and you're fighting truly monsterous battles with gender dysphoria day in and day out, and suicide waits at your door morning noon and night ... well, I suppose you've gotta crunch that risk/benefit analysis. It might be the only thing that can put your mind right, and if your prospects going without arent that great, I get how it can make lots of sense.

Taking hormones to get softer skin? To grow boobs? For peace of mind?

I'd talk to a dermatologist, a plastic surgeon, and a psychiatrist long, looooong before I talked to an endo. There are other ways to get what you're after, ways that don't carry such a high risk of mortality (you did want to spend time LIVING as a woman, right? Not dying as one?) And if you're not transitioning anyway ... I honestly just think that is a really really bad idea.

Remember (at least in america), healthcare is a business, and literally every single doctor you talk to is primarily an entrepreneur, trying to grow a business and keep food on the table. No one has your best interest as a primary consideration, BUT YOU. People will sell you any damn thing you wanna pay for.
    Last edited by Amy Fakley; 07-28-2015 at 02:51 PM.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Again, I'm a little surprised at the strength of argument this type of thread incites... I trust my doctor and endo that what I'm on is what is right for my current situation. It's no placebo effect that I no longer have dangerous depression. Kim, and others even thinking it was Bi Polar, the catalyst for action being an incident that warranted an arrest 'for my own protection'...

So yes, low dose HRT has significant medical and psychological value...
    Call me Donna, please

I think there are some CDers who want to find some way to feminize themselves just a little bit (enough to pass better), without wanting it to show too much in male mode and without wanting to transition and live full time as a woman.

I say this because over the years there have been members who looked into the feminizing lotions and potions or OCT HRT marketed online specifically to CDers, to the point where discussions of (taken from the rules): "non-surgical breast enhancement, ANY herbal medication and any kind of supplements for ANY reason, ANY over the counter medication for ANY reason, and ANY online pharmacies for ANY reason" were strictly prohibited in this forum.

I always got the impression that members who wanted these types of changes wanted a quick-fix and had not looked into the full effects of HRT like a TS would look into it.

As to low dose HRT prescribed by a doctor, I asked about this in one of the threads and I think it was April who said that lower doses are just as effective although they do take longer to achieve the same effects as higher doses. But then I don't know what the effect would be if a person is just on low-dose HRT without androgen blockers.
    Reine

If feminizing effects are what you are after. Breast implants. Hip padding. Beard removal and Facial reconstruction. Those procedures will get you your feminizing features with no letters or health issues. Well there is a risk of issues with surgery. But given the huge amount of procedures. The risk of serious complications is low. Same with an orchi. SRS is a different issue and the risk of serious complications is much higher.

HRT can be a positive influence. But be sure you are taking it for the right reasons. And it is absolutely possible to take it and live as male 24/7 or part time.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

Hi all,

Just a quick followup to Amy's post. We know that there is a relationship between estrogen levels and the incidence of breast cancer, so yes that is a serious consideration with HRT. I hope that all of you on HRT have regular breast exams and mammograms (yes, I know there has been some debate about the frequency of mammograms for women). Even though I am not on HRT, my doctor has recommended bi-annual mammograms for me.

For those of you who are interested (and I think all women should be), there is a fascinating book by Florence Williams called Breasts: a Natural and Unnatural History. I highly recommend it.

Cheers,

Claire
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

just know you cant easily predict effects, dosages and delivery of the dose are all over the map, andro blockers are a key component, its easy to gain weight and there are meaningful health risks...

not to throw the fox in with the chickens but......
    one side effect of estrogen is that it can make you look younger

Banned Read only
    Clair mentions the possibility of cancer from taking HRT. There is also the possibility of deep vein thrombosis, pulmonary embolism and thrombophlebitis all which can be worse and more deadly than cancer. I mention this because taking estrogen is not a game to be taken lightly. There are some very serious side effects that are very real possibilities. Make damn sure you understand what you are doing before you pop that first pill, take that first shot, or put on that first patch. Your life may depend on it.

I have taken testosterone since I was 13. I have naturally low T. It carries the same risks. My dr suggests regular blood donations to keep hemoglobin levels down . It works for me . I would think the same thing would work for estrogen supplementation

Aspiring Member
    I had thought about this for some time, but the medical complications that could arise didn't seem worth the risk unless I wanted to transition fully. And at my age and with other medical issues I have, this was not something I could risk.

Not to say that the idea of being more feminine wasn't a great attraction. I longed to have real breasts, softer skin, etc.

But now, for me, the safer avenue will be aggressive electrolysis and laser treatments for my body and facial hair, voice lessons, weight reduction and body shaping and, eventually, a boob job. This seems to be the road set for me in the future - and a much safer one than taking estrogen.

For those who need to transition, I know this is not a choice they would make... but for me it is.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Amy Fakely
    If you're TS, and you're fighting truly monsterous battles with gender dysphoria day in and day out, and suicide waits at your door morning noon and night ... well, I suppose you've gotta crunch that risk/benefit analysis. It might be the only thing that can put your mind right, and if your prospects going without arent that great, I get how it can make lots of sense.
    For me it was simple. Lead poisoning > Breast Cancer.

The main complication to watch out for are pulmonary embolisms. This isn't common at all, but if you are genetically prone to this (it affects cisgender women as well as trans women), you will need a lot of discussion with a doctor before taking estrogen. This is one of the things doctors monitor for when you are in their care. I know a trans woman who can't take HRT because of this. The same condition killed her mother at a young age, just from the natural estrogen her body produced. This is rare, but it does happen.

Another concern for some forms of HRT can be liver damage. Pills and other ingested forms of HRT can be hard on your liver.

I'm not trying to scare anyone away - keep in mind these hormones are things our bodies produce naturally, but the formulations that are used aren't always so natural.

This is why we tell people to see a doctor. Generally this stuff is pretty safe, and fairly simple, but you really do need a doctor to make sure nothing goes horribly wrong, because it absolutely can.

I just wanted to thank Paula, Jorga and others who point out some of the issues we face if we decide for hormone therapy. It is indeed a serious matter, not one to be taken lightly and certainly not without medical supervision.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC] Proud member of the Lacey Leigh Fan Club

Yes, all medications have side effects. I have been on HRT (testosterone) since puberty due to a congenital issue. I am now 52. All of the testosterone nightly marketed to men as the fountain of youth have the exact same cardiovascular side effects as estrogen, yet drs write scripts for this like candy. Not trying to minimizie side effects, but if you read what could happen to you if you took an aspirin or advil you'd never put one in your mouth. Taking any meds are a big deal, it's best to be closely followed by a competent physician.