Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: How many of us are there?

How many of us are there?

I have been thinking about this for a long time. How many CDs are there
    not counting the guy or occasionally puts on pair of panties. How many of
    us actually have clothes and shop for them?

I do! Amazon and brick and mortar shops, always window shopping

Sarah x
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Reality Check
    If you got on the phone and took a survey, would you expect honest answers? And how would you qualify someone as a "crossdresser"? We have some guys who throw on a dress or mini skirt and go to the fast food restaurant without shaving and we have those who go all the way and present female every day.

Do you mean here in these forums, or in the world in general? In my home town I see at least a dozen MtF girls on a regular basis, though I have no way to know how many of them are 'just CD's' like me, or are starting or have completed the act of transitioning fully to female. I do know several drag queens here who have obviously had their breasts done, or have had HRT, because I've seen them scantily clad and they clearly have no need for breast forms.

Personally, I'm a definite CD, not considering ever transitioning fully to female or modifying my body beyond shaving face and body, and maybe eventually piercing my ears. I do my best to pass when I am out of the house en-femme. I have an extensive wardrobe - half my closet is female clothes, shoes, wigs and forms. I shop for girly things every week, either in drab in stores or on line. I get out en-femme about once a week right now, to a nightclub, and hope to do it about 50% of the time once I finish moving to a new state and town in the near future.

In about a week I'm planning my first day of mall shopping while en-femme! So excited! Going to treat myself to a full professional makeover, shopping for clothes and shoes, and dinner en-femme with my daughter, and then go to my favorite club all glammed up, to celebrate my birthday!
    Last edited by Ceera; 07-31-2015 at 08:38 AM.

If you look back through older threads you'll see this topic addressed a number of times. If you think it's hard to get this community to agree on if crossdressers are transgender or not, it's nothing compared to getting them to accept population numbers. I swear there are some members who feel you can't count the fingers on one hand with any degree of certainty. The Williams Institute at UCLA has a recent figure that transgender people (all, not just crossdressers) make up 0.3% of the general population of the US or about 900,000 people. That doesn't say how many crossdressers there are but it probably puts an upper limit on it at least for those people who meet the survey's definition of transgender. That number compares well with the Gallup Poll number that says 3.5% of the general population in the US identifies as LGBT, since I, at least, would expect the T number to be very small compared to the LGBT number.
    Last edited by Pat; 07-31-2015 at 09:01 AM. Reason: can't spell

Wow, we really are perverts as my wife calls us. Since we are so rare in the population and not within social norms, we do pervert them when exposing ourselves t9 the public.

I feel so ashamed! (Not really ;-) I guess it's the pirate side of me to be different. I'm still working on that Southern Christian non-tolerant wife too.

To quote Carl Sagan, "Billions and billions...."
    Second star to the right and straight on till morning

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    Definitely right here!
    Love shopping!
    Occasionally I'll hang around the house just in heels or dressed up from the waist on down. I've never sported the panties though, just not my thing.
    But I'm definitely the one for finding deals at the store and online.
    I'm also one for venturing out fully en femme, like many others.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

good question. I will go to all the people I see and meet and ask them.
    TO OVER WEIGHT TO POST A PHOTO, MY wife tells me I look like I am pregnant

Banned Read only
    As Brian responded to Reg about how much he hated the Romans," A Lot."

Here's a Gallup poll from 2012 (US), apparently the largest up until 2012 that asked about LGBT identification.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/158066/sp...tify-lgbt.aspx

Out of 120,000 interviews, 3.4% said they were either L, G, B, or T. This is consistent with polls I have seen from other countries as well (anywhere from 3%-5%).

If the Gallup respondents represent the US population, this means that out of a total 2012 population of 314M, there are 235M adults (75%) x 3.4% = 8M LGBT.

Now comes the tricky part, which is estimating how many Ts there are in the LGBT. Judging by the percentage of "T"s I see when I go to LGBT events, to be generous I'll estimate that 10%-20% are T which means that 800,000 to 1.6M of adults in the US (2012) are T. So this extrapolates to having 3-7 people out of every 1,000 who identify as T in the US.
    Reine

Aspiring Member
    From what I understand, most scientific literature use a 3% prevalence rate of the male population. This is based upon a single Swedish study. Langstrom, N., & Zucker, K.J. (2005). Transvestic fetishism in the general population: Prevalence and correlates. Journal of Sex & Marital Therapy, 31(2), 87-95.

The 3% prevalence rate sounds about right to me.

Quote Originally Posted by Confucius View Post
    The 3% prevalence rate sounds about right to me.
    Here's the article mentioned by Confucius:
    http://www.researchgate.net/publicat...and_correlates

They contacted 5,250 randomly selected 18-74 year-olds in Sweden, in 1996. 2,450 individuals (1,274 men and 1,171 women) agreed to take the survey. This particular study shows the result of having asked the 1,274 men "Have you ever dressed in clothes pertaining to the opposite sex and become sexually aroused by this?”. The responses were no = 1,243 (97.2%) and yes = 36 (2.8%).

It's unclear what percentage crossdress for other reasons than sexual arousal, vs. those who only dress for arousal, but it's an interesting read.
    Reine

I really wish that somenoe could access a good database of shoe purchases. One could compare the distribution curve of women's foot size (which is likely a normal bell curve) against the distribution curve of the sizes of women's shoes sold (which undoubtedly has a bulge on the large size end of the curve) Guess what that bulge represents? Yep, us!

So, what I am saying is that the only person who really knows how many of us there really are is likely a statistician working for Payless Shoes!
    Eryn
    "These girls have the most beautiful dresses. And so do I! How about that!" [Kaylee, in Firefly] [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]
    "What do you care what other people think?" [Arlene Feynman, to her husband Richard]
    "She's taller than all the women in my family, combined!" [Howard, in The Big Bang Theory]
    "Tall, tall girl. The woman could hunt geese with a rake!" [Mary Cooper, in The Big Bang Theory]

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    It's unclear what percentage crossdress for other reasons than sexual arousal, vs. those who only dress for arousal, but it's an interesting read.
    It is an interesting read. They do admit that they specifically chose not to include a temporal dimension in their selection -- that is, a respondent only had to have experienced sexual arousal from crossdressing one time in his lifetime to be counted as a yes -- it didn't have to be a pattern of behavior. Perhaps that's why their number is higher than most.

I do too! In fact I let the sa know I'm buying for myself.

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    Here's a Gallup poll from 2012 (US), apparently the largest up until 2012 that asked about LGBT identification.

http://www.gallup.com/poll/158066/sp...tify-lgbt.aspx

Out of 120,000 interviews, 3.4% said they were either L, G, B, or T. ...
    had they asked me, I would NOT self identify at "T" even though I am quite clearly a cross dresser. I just don't think of myself as transgender (and that has been debated here ad nausium). They really need a "C" in that alphabet soup. I wonder if I am the norm or exception and how would the data be affected. Probably not much. 3% doesn't seem crazy when you think about the numbers of members as well as new signups daily on the forum alone!

Platinum Member
    I have no idea. Nor, in all these years has any survey, Gallop or otherwise, ever asked.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Banned Read only
    It is VERY difficult to get statistics on the LGBT population. There are people who self-identify. There are people who will not self-identify as they question the security and degree of anonymity of the survey. Further, it also depends upon how you ask the question. Self-identification is very different from just having same-sex attractions.

We've been trying to get our employer to put self-identification questions in our climate surveys for many years with only minimal success. Several years ago we managed to get it included for 1 division (the one where I work) out of then 5 and it only happened 1 time. It seems to be gathering steam once again, so we'll see. The thing is, unless you have that information, you have no idea as to how the LGBT population in the company is doing.

DeeAnn

I have had several private chats with another member with whom I have much in common as far as crossdressing tastes go. She doesn't identify as TG but I do as a CDer, as I fall under the umbrella. As varied as the definitions of TG are here on the forum, certainly there must be differences in how outsiders see TG. If the poll doesn't define TG, the numbers don't tell us much.
    Anyway, the OP question was about CDers, not TG.
    My WAG, 5%.
    Last edited by NicoleScott; 07-31-2015 at 05:40 PM.

I love to go shopping, and have quite the nice wardrobe.

I got off a little early today, so I grabbed my daughter from daycare, and went to the mall in drab. I just came home with my first nice necklace. a nice double heart with diamond accent, on a 14k gold over silver chain, $130. When the clerk finished the sale, she said "I hope she likes it". My daughter asked if it was for me or mommy. I told her it was for me. The look on the sales lady's face was priceless. I showed her some pictures of me dressed, and she was fascinated with them. We talked a few minutes, and she thought is was neat that I bought the necklace for me.
    Anytime I am wanting to look at jewelery, she would be more than happy to help me.

Another fun trip to the mall.

I believe there are far more Crossdressers than any poll will be revealing anytime soon. A lot of us are just to scared to admit it even to ourselves much less ay poll taker. Besides the ones that will not admit and own it aren't going to be contributing any effort towards fellowship much-less the understanding by outsiders, or even their own family and friends. It would be nice to know but I don't think we ever will!
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Two types of cd. Those that do it and those that lie about it. Lol jk but good question I have often wondered while in the mall and I see men in women's section if they are shopping for themselves.
    Formerly Lolisa

Platinum Member
    Hi Janet, Only when the Government makes us register and places a special tax our clothes and heels, Then we will know how many.
    Last edited by BLUE ORCHID; 07-31-2015 at 09:08 PM.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

I think way more than what is showed or calculated. I was born in 1951 and of the des related group of us kids grown into adults, 17.6 of males turned out to be males most of their lives. That means 84 percent was under the LBGT umbrella. I went to my 40 year reunion several years ago and there was about a third of the class dead. Quite a few died of aides, There was not a lot known back at that time. We were all just different kids and grew to be men not knowing why we did not fit the mold quite well.
    Part Time Girl