Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: What to do with wife's clothes?

What to do with wife's clothes?

First and foremost thank you in advance. This is a weird question for me to ask. My wife of 15 years recently passed away, I think she always knew about my dressing, but it was never an open subject. When she was alive I always made it a point to let her clothes be hers only occasionally borrowing a skirt or top, for a quick modeling session. Now with her gone, I do not know what to do with her clothes. I have always loved her fashion sense and she has so many cute things. I feel that I would regret getting rid of all of it. Just looking for some guidance and insight of what to do.

Christie

Aspiring Member
    It may depend on how you feel about her clothes. Will it be a painful reminder of your loss, or would you cherish those items as a memory? Given her recent passing, it might be wise to just leave her clothes in a closet for six months or so and let emotions take its course, until life returns to a reasonable normal and you can make a more informed decision. Then perhaps you might wish to wear some of her 'cute things' in her memory. Or you might decide to donate them. Please accept my condolences on your loss.

Ineke
    Last edited by Ineke Vashon; 07-31-2015 at 01:52 PM.

My condolences on your loss.

I was married for 30 years before my wife passed away. The last few years of that time I had been under dressing with panties, and had obtained a few wigs and one blouse, skirt and pair of shoes that I wore only in private in our home, while alone, but I was refraining from doing more than that or from shaving my beard out of respect for my wife and our marriage. She accepted me wearing panties but was clearly uncomfortable with me doing more than that. She had her panties and I had mine - completely different styles and types. While she owned some clothes that would have fit me, most didn't, or were styles I wouldn't want to wear. It took me about 6 months to fully go through her wardrobe and sort out what to do with it all. She had some things she had kept since elementary school!

When she died, there were a few of her things that I did keep for myself. These were mostly things that she either hadn't worn in years due to weight gains, or had purchased on sales or at garage sales and never worn because they didn't fit her well enough. I think there were only three dresses that she had ever worn very often that I kept, and less than a dozen skirts, casual pants or jeans, or other items. Also kept several unisex t-shirts and sweatshirts and jackets. I didn't keep any of her intimate apparel (bras, panties, stockings). My daughter was able to use a few things that were older and in smaller sizes, from before she was born, but which were well-made, classic styles that were worth wearing still. A friend of my daughter got some other clothes that were even smaller, but similarly timeless styles and well made. A few things we kept for sentimental reasons, including her wedding ring, of course, which I had made for her myself. Some of her jewelry that was good and matched my sense of style I kept, but she didn't have a lot of jewelry. My daughter also kept some, and I boxed up the rest of her jewelery to consider later. Everything else was donated to Good Will, or if in poor condition was thrown out.

Honestly, if there are things that fit, and that match your sense of style, why waste them by getting rid of them? Think fond thoughts of your time together when you wear them. My only concern would be if you were seen by mutual friends later who might recognize a dress or blouse as having been hers. That could be awkward, possibly, depending on how well that person knows and accepts both sides of you,
    Last edited by Ceera; 07-31-2015 at 10:49 AM.

Reality Check
    First of all, sorry about your loss. I can't imagine life without my wife.

Are you asking if it's OK for you to wear her clothes? Or if you should keep them to remember her by? I would say it's OK to wear them but really it's something you have to decide for yourself. I think most non-crossdressers would offer them to relatives or donate them to a charity.

Very sorry for your loss. Like so many of the questions that come up it really depends on you. There's nothing wrong with keeping things you like either just because you like them or because you want to keep the memory. The flip side is you shouldn't keep stuff you're not fond of -- it's not a betrayal to get rid of her things -- they're just things.

Yes, very sorry for your loss. I have worn a lot of my wife's clothing as she has wonderful style. Can't fit into all of it but definitely all of her lingerie. I personally would keep all of her clothing that would fit me and donate the rest. Wearing her cloths would make me feel close to her and she's a lovely lady and I love her much. So for me I think you should keep her cloths if you can handle it emotionally. Hugs and good luck, Lacy

Hi Christie,

First of all I'm so sorry about your loss. Its a difficult question to answer as I guess this is one of the most personal emotions I can think of. But I think you shouldn't rush things. Give it some time and hopefully when all has sunk in you can make a wise decision. Whatever your decision will be I wish you all the best getting over your loss.
    Love and hugs Jeanette

I'd say "what honours her memory best?"
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

For me i would keep anything that fit or anything that was an extra special reminder of my wife

My wife passed away. We were marrid for 39 wonderful years, and she knew of Linda and I often wore a dress with her, but always inside. I am a large gal at 6 ft. and 230. A size 18, but say it quietly please. My wife was a petite 5 ft. and 110. Nothing she had would come close to fitting. Even so, I will keep everything for a couple of months just as a rememberance, then I will let our two girls go thru them and let them have what they want, and donate the rest to Goodwill. She was fond of wigs, and had about 15, and all the same style. I will probably keep a couple of them, and find someplace that can put them to good use. Maybe a chemo hospital.

Christie, please accept my heartfelt condolences for the loss of the love of your life. I would suggest waiting as Ineke wrote, until some of the grief emotions have subsided somewhat, and then make the decisions.

Hugs, Bria

My sincere condolences to you too Christie. I lost my wife of 34 years and couldn't keep any of her clothes for myself as she was not accepting of my CDing, she didn't want me wearing them when she was alive, so didn't think it was a good thing to wear after she passed. For the record, she had tried to be accepting until I went too far and she decided it was getting out of hand, so to save the marriage, I abstained for the final 27 years. It took me over 2 years to get past the guilt and get my on stuff. If she had been accepting all those years, I probably would have kept anything that I liked that fit. It's up to the individual to decide if it is ok to keep or get rid of.
    Again Christie, so so sorry for your loss. It's been almost 6 years since my wife passed, and I still miss her tremendously every day.
    Big hugs, Tina

Aspiring Member
    Sorry for your loss.
    In the same situation I would be happy to wear anything that fit, in her memory. She doesn't understand my desire to CD, but acknowledges that it's something that makes me happy, so even though she doesn't approve or encourage it, I don't think she would be against me using anything that fits. She would expect me to give away anything that I didn't want to a charity, which I would happily do.

Having said that, only you can decide in your own situation as I can't know your relationship with her, or how you would feel about "inheriting" her clothes.

Banned Read only
    sorry to hear about your loss...i dont know what i would do if something happened to my wife of 27 yrs..have any of you thought about donating the dresses to a nursing home? alot of residents cant afford new/used clothes and would prob welcome the donation.

I'm deeply sorry for your loss.

Unless your wife said that she wanted particular pieces to go to specific people (i.e. daughters or friends), then all the clothes are yours now. You should keep and wear what you want, and donate the rest.
    Reine

Platinum Member
    Well, why regret it then? if you liked her sense of style, pick those items that fit and give the rest to Goodwill or the like.

I am sorry to hear of her passing and hope you're doing ok.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I offer my sympathy and condolence for your lose, I have experienced the lose also after a 26 years of Great marriage.

I have read all the post so far and agree with nearly every one. But having been where you are I can't offer you advise because I do understand that not only are each affected somewhat differently by lose and remorse but our CDing situation also is so varied within a relationship. And that will affect the memories that you will be living with form now until you pass on.

I kept my wife's clothes in the closet until I got remarried. I did give some of her things right after her passing to my Daughter and her Sister(my wife's sister). But I made the decisions as to what it was. I even gave each one of them to my sister (whom she was very close to) a piece of her jewelry. But after that I kept her stuff for the feeling of closeness until it was time to move on, not forget. And then I kept and still have certain things that I will never let go of. Just as I would want her to have done in the same situation. There is no rules. Just what suits your needs, don't let others affect your decisions because you are going to have to live with it. Those things are yours now and they are either important to you or not, no one but you knows and no one has a right to say or tell you how to feel. Just think it through is all I will advise.
    Last edited by franlee; 08-04-2015 at 06:29 PM.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Sorry for your loss, Christie. I'm going through something similar. My wife of 40 years died a little over a year ago. I still cannot do anything with her clothes. I don't know if I will either. Her clothes remind me that I once was married, that a woman who loved me shared our home. My daughters are welcome to take anything of hers that they would want to have, especially her jewelry. I would welcome that. I can't see, at this time giving memories away to Goodwill. Her clothes definitely do not fit so wearing them is out of the question.

My condolences

I don't know what I would do if my wife passed away. I know I probably would keep the clothing that fits me. My wife has known about my dressing since we were dating. I would cherish the clothes that fit and donate the rest.

Condolences on your loss.

I have an agreement with my wife not to wear her clothes, and I abide by that. If she were to pass away, I think I would feel like I was violating that agreement if I were to start wearing her clothes. For me, honoring her memory would mean continuing to honor that agreement. Is this the dilemma you are having?

I don't think it is a matter of right or wrong. Only what makes you feel more at peace. I hope you find the peace and comfort you are looking for.

Nyla

Banned Read only
    My condolences as well, im so sorry!! When I read the subject line I KNEW this one would bring on the tears and had to think three times before reading it..... oh yah it did 😢😢

I would keep them in a safe place for now, I don't think anything else right now would prove helpful in the longer term at least for a year, maybe two, just my thoughts. Again, my sincerest condolences Christie!

Stand-up Comedian En Fem❤ Alice_2014_B's Avatar
    First, my deepest condolences.

I know this is very different, but when my ex-wife left I just donated her clothes away.
    I wasn't into crossdressing when we were married. I did, however, wear a couple of her skirts after she left and before donating the clothes she left.
    We went to a very conservative church and she always dressed appropriately; it was the only clothes she had, skirts, tops, and dresses.
    On her way out she got a whole new wardrobe of jeans and shorts, leaving all the rest.
    Melissa: "... and why are you dressed as a woman?"
    Coach McGuirk: "Because it's freeing."

-Home Movies
    (cartoon series)

Shoe size: 9 US women's.
    Dress size: M to L; 8-10.
    Height: 5' 6".

I don't think I could add any better advice then whats already been said, but I did want to add my condolences. I can not imagine that loss.
    My thoughts are with you Christie.
    When I am still and quiet, people who do not know me think, Oh how cute she's shy.
    People who do know me think, OMG RUN!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Girls will be boys and boys will be girls It's a mixed up muddled up shook up world except for Lola

Banned Read only
    Sorry for you loss. Based on your age I am assuming she was a young woman. So sad. My wife has saved some clothing that has fond memories for her; special times in our lives or before me...prom dress, etc. I suspect I would keep some things she wore that would remind me of special times with her. Time will guide you as to when or whether or not to part with them.

Making a life for Tina! suchacutie's Avatar
    My sincere condolences on your loss. Of course, your decision must be something you are happy with. All of our experiences are unique. For me, the very existence of my feminine self started with my wife handing me a piece of her ligerie to see if it would fit, as a bit of a joke. Turned out not to be a joke, and the rest is history.

My wife and Tina share what fits and I'must sure that would continue after one of us is gone. However, Tina would feel just a bit uncomfortable in the event that she would be in a public setting with those who know my wife, with Tina wearing what was obviously from my wife's wardrobe. Not sure why, but that's the unique part of all of us.

So, seconding Reine, follow your wife's wishes and the rest is what you wish, without reservation.