Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Two weeks at work . . . jazz hands, marginalized, comfy shoes and bare arms

Gone to live my life

Two weeks at work . . . jazz hands, marginalized, comfy shoes and bare arms

Hello all . . . I know . . . odd title choice.

I just finished my second week of work under the agreed upon workplace accommodation of presenting as a woman when I feel a requirement to do so. Last week it was the full week, this week it was 2 days. It was . . . interesting and a bit surreal at times but none the less, it is becoming more common place in the building. Well at least I didn't get half as many stares as I did last week and people stopped finding excuses to wander by my cubicle "Umm . . . is the coffee machine around here?.

All in all, it was really a non-event as most people either chose to engage and be friendly or ignore. I believe the pre-education briefings probably helped although there are still a few awkward moments when people get on the elevator I happen to be in. Most people are getting used to the switch in gender pronouns and titles although I still get the odd “Yes Sir, I mean Ma’am . . . sorry about that Sir . . . I mean Ma’am” . . . Exit stage right jazz hands engaged. While this happens quite a bit, I cut people a lot of slack because it can be confusing but I have to admit the glimmer of evil which resides in my core, does get a chuckle when this occurs but of course I keep that to myself .

Now for an interesting experience . . . Last week I was attending a meeting as the resident subject matter expert which means that there was nobody else in that room with more knowledge about the subject than me. There were eight other participants, an all-male cast and Marcelle (girl me). I knew it was going to be awkward as these were some strong alpha male mucho macho men so, I started the meeting slowly and let people adjust and figured I would cut them some slack. However, before I knew it, I was being marginalized and talked over by people who knew less about the subject than me with the odd “kind of what she said” (well at least they go the pronoun right) thrown in for good measure . Heck, I was half expecting someone to tell me to go fetch coffee while slapping my butt. My internal voice screamed “What are you doing? Stop cutting these clowns a break and take control of the meeting”. When I tried in my female voice (or a close proximity of one) . . . Nada, just the odd did she just say something stare and then back to their sidebar discussions . It took my male voice to bring them back in line. Eventually they got it and I returned to my female voice and things went better but every so often, they would start down that road again but I got very good at my "not impressed gentlemen" stare and they stopped: . . . very surreal.

It has been a learning experience for certain. Before I started presenting at work, if I was presenting it was on my terms on my own time. I could dress as I please (jeans, comfy shoes) and spend as much or as little time out and about. However, now that I work some days identifying as a woman, that means I spend the whole day as a woman start to finish. Clothing choice is business casual so I have learned that while heels might look nice as do some sandals or flats . . . nothing beats a nice pair of comfy running shoes when taking public transit especially if you have to walk four blocks to work from your bus stop. They might not be haute couture with a skirt but my feet thank me . . . heels/flats/sandals go on in the office and off for the commute home. We have been having a heat wave of sorts and I still struggle with sleeveless and my arms, but sweaters (to cover my arms) on public transit are super warm to downright hot if the AC is not working. While I tried short sleeves and jeans once, I was not sure how I would look in a sleeveless sundress but it was my lovely wife who finally gave me the push to just be comfortable. I had a dress on and asked her what she thought about sleeveless. She looked at me and said “Sweetie, how can I say this delicately . . . you are not fooling anyone so you might as well be comfortable and just go sleeveless” . . . you mean I don't look like a gorgeous 50+ woman . . . my life is shattered . It may sound harsh but she was right. When I identify as a woman, it is just me and all my male physiology and to be honest “the kid ain’t pretty” so having a more burly upper body than your average gal, is something I just have to live with and the least of my worries. It was the last hurdle for me to finally come to accept me for me and it feels very nice indeed to not worry about it . . . okay, perhaps I am still a bit self-conscious but it is getting better.

Cheers

Isha (Marcelle)

Banned Read only
    I:

To follow up a bit on what you said and along with various discussions here about male privilege, you really have a unique situation. Any of your colleagues with half a brain (I realize that sometimes this is a challenge!) should be able to see the dynamics at work. Elsewhere I said that what seems like male privilege from the male perspective (if they admitted it) is really what females would call sexism. Same coin, different sides.

If people were to really think about their behaviors and reactions, it would be very clear as to what is happening. This is a great Teaching Moment, so I hope some light bulbs will go off for some of your colleagues.

DeeAnn

Aspiring Member
    By coincidence, this morning I was watching TV news, as usual with one female and one male presenter. I made a comment to a lady friend why there are always two announcers. She answered: "the woman for sex appeal, the male for authority." Sad, but that is still the norm for many. And will take time changing. But changes are here.

You are handling your 'presentation' very well. Isha, you are a leader.

Ineke

I'm proud of you Isha and what you're doing. It took courage to come out at work as Marcelle. You look pretty in your picture, I think you're too hard on yourself. What do you do to vocalize in a female ?

Sounds like a good learning experience, for you, and hopefully for your colleagues/co-workers, too. It's interesting to read about your experiences and things you are learning along the way, from simpler things like wearing running shoes while in transit, as it were, to more serious fundamental things like being talked over by the "guys" while you're presenting as female. Examples like that make me double-check myself when I'm in meetings with female co-workers to try to make sure I'm not doing things like that (it's easy to forget in the sometimes tense/intense discussions we sometimes have).

That's amazing of what you do, and please keep sharing your progresses with us.
    Leslie's Advanture into the Unknown - http://lesliesd.weebly.com/

Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    When I tried in my female voice (or a close proximity of one) . . . Nada, just the odd did she just say something stare and then back to their sidebar discussions . It took my male voice to bring them back in line.
    I wish I could do that. I can and do lower my voice and try to have it come from the diaphragm, but my problem is that they still know I'm a woman. They're not purposely discriminating against me, it seems to be ingrained no matter their best intentions.

Yes. Having a man's voice on occasion would come in handy.

Congratulations on your accomplishments. Are there certain days when street wear is allowed, and other days when you must wear a (woman's) uniform, or have they dispensed with uniform wear?
    Reine

I admire the courage you have within your workplace. Even though it may seem hopeless in dealing with some people, i think you handled that situation very well by owning your authority in that meeting and showing that you expect to be respected. Its because of you asserting your role and not accepting sidelining that those men changed thier course, and although they kept testing for weakness, you continuing to hold firm in your position i believe will eventually bring them to respect you whether they like it or not.

Well done Isha for keeping them in line. How else would a woman have done it?
    When I worked in in the engineering world, serving defence clientele mostly, there was a smattering of female managers around, but I really don't recall them being ignored or talked-over. The ones I recall were outspoken, strong, knowledgeable and held their own, and were respected by the men present. They were in my opinion the better "man-managers" ;-).
    Comfort is the fundamental requirement of allday wear, and has been the basis for crossdressing clothing choices from the beginning. I do have heels but they are for the exception not the norm. Flats are the norm.
    I can see it is coming, so I'll just say there will be a time when you feel in your power, as a woman, and there will be no male attempts to cut you out. Can you imagine anyone cutting out Angela Merkel?
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    They're not purposely discriminating against me, it seems to be ingrained no matter their best intentions.
    No, what they are doing in unconsciously discriminating against you. It is purposeful, but they have no awareness of their actions. If you point it out, being in denial makes it very easy to claim that they didn't do anything.

Quote Originally Posted by pamela7 View Post
    Can you imagine anyone cutting out Angela Merkel?
    Note that she would usually outrank everyone else in the room. In considering her personality and her title, it would be difficult to say where one ends and the other begins.

DeeAnn

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    And those are probably the same men who just may claim they understand male privilege and do their best to support women. This is such a deeply ingrained trait that it will take a long time to fix. I'm with the rest of those who are impressed by your strength and pulling for success as you move forward.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Gone to live my life
    Hi all,

Thanks much for the comments and support.

Quote Originally Posted by ReineD View Post
    . . . Are there certain days when street wear is allowed, and other days when you must wear a (woman's) uniform, or have they dispensed with uniform wear?
    Hi Reine,

Fridays are typically what we refer to as "civie (civilian) clothing day". Nobody is really certain were the convention came from but we accept is as sacrosanct and dress accordingly (business casual). The uniform thing is still not quite figured out as I am only allowed to draw male dress uniforms as my gender marker says male and I don't have online access to female uniforms. The provider of Canadian military uniforms is still trying to come to terms with a person having two gender markers. So until they do, I have been authorized appropriate civilian clothing (business casual) at work on those days I identify as a woman.

Cheers all

Isha

0 to trans in 60 seconds! Donnagirl's Avatar
    Isha,

I'm just in awe of what your achieving... In true Aussie vernacular, 'you're a bloody legend!'.
    Call me Donna, please

I'm curious what the dynamic might be like the next time you are the subject matter expert but running the meeting in male mode. Is it really a case of ingrained male habits to marginalize a female, or have you lost some esteem in their eyes since coming out? Since you were able to use male voice to bring them back in line I suspect the former, but it might be something to pay attention to in the future.

That said, it sounds like you and your colleagues are adapting well to the new normal. Thanks for the progress report.

Bridget
    Your friendly, neighborhood cyber CD.

#1 member of the Isha fanclub here...

But I have to ask you about this:
    Quote Originally Posted by Isha View Post
    When I tried in my female voice (or a close proximity of one) . . . Nada, just the odd did she just say something stare and then back to their sidebar discussions . It took my male voice to bring them back in line.
    Did it *really* require your male voice?

Would it have been the same way with an XX Officer?

My belief is that it shouldn't have. Your badge should have spoken louder. Spongebob Squarepants should be heeded with the right stature & piping. (That is ADMIRAL Squarepants to YOU)

Please don't be thankful for what you have, Isha. You are eff'n BLESSED if you just took it that way. I suggest that you push it further and act the way you expect to be treated, even as the average schlup. Where do you want our *average* rights to be?

Don't get me wrong, I have never been as impressed by anyone's actions as much as I have been of yours,

I'm just asking you not to stop.

Let me know how I might be be able to help. pretty.

- MM
    - Madame Moose - on my way to Anne
    ----------------------------------------------------------------
    "I yam what I yam and tha's all what I yam." -- Popeye the Sailor
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Gone to live my life
    Hi MM,

Don't worry too much about this . . . I take it as blip on the radar screen of people getting used to the idea. For the most part, within my own directorate, not an issue but given my new job I have to interact with a wide variety of folks outside of my directorate who are definitely outside of their comfort zone with me and that includes both men and women. This just kind of threw me for a loop as I was not expecting it (I know kind of naïve thinking on my part). So I defaulted to what I know best to bring order to chaos and it kind of worked. However, once that was put to rest I remained true to Marcelle. It is my intent not to default to male voice again . . . now bear in mind when I say female voice it is not lithe, willowy or melodious by any stretch of the imagination, just a bit softer than my current male voice. But it is Marcelle's voice and that is what she will use from now on.

Hi Bridgette,

It is possible it was a case of loosing some sort of "male street cred" with these guys. I guess we'll see on Tuesday as we have a follow-up meeting and right now I am on a Marcel vice Marcelle track so if I am still all guy on Tuesday and the same thing happens, it is likely a street cred vice marginalized woman thing.

Cheers

Isha

morning Marcelle,
    you are truly a trans ally, what im referring to is a question i was asked at a support meeting i attended previously, my reply was weak by comparison, all you have accomplished in you brief time here transcends what most of us are able to contribute, thank you for just being you and sharing it with us, the good the bad and the ugly....your stories and events are inspirational, sharing a Marcelle moment, thanks again....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Girl you are doing so great for all girls here, i can say is THAT THE WAY TO GO GIRL!!!!!!!!!! hugs,
    [SIZE="3"][/SIZE][SIZE="3"]Stacy Lynn Coral[/SIZE]

Intriguing... I think that speaks volumes as to how much visual stimulus impacts the all-male of the species... and - actually - how much you are taken for female on the days you're feeling that way..

Pondering on that, just maybe there's something more subliminal going on there too: obviously you only present female on the days you're feeling that way, perhaps there are also some subtle changes in your behaviour that are triggering female recognition in other folk... It can't just be the presentation, although that may be the most overt signal...

And it's nice to see you can have a teensy bit subversive fun with it too...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Platinum Member
    Always listen to your wife on practical matters, and enjoy the sleeveless sun dress!
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

now bear in mind when I say female voice it is not lithe, willowy or melodious by any stretch of the imagination, just a bit softer than my current male voice. But it is Marcelle's voice and that is what she will use from now on.
    I'm kinda mentally hearing Katherine Hepburn.

Or is it more like this?

- MM
    Last edited by mechamoose; 08-02-2015 at 09:01 AM.
    "If I am not for myself, who will be for me? And when I am for myself, what am 'I'? And if not now, when?" - Hillel the Elder

Gone to live my life
    MM,

LOL . . . I guess a cross of the two . . . Drill Sergeant Major Katherine Hartman????

Cheers

Isha

Hence the difficulty trying to gain acceptance as a woman. You are blazing a very different trail. It is confusing to deal with an individual as male one day and female the next. The majority will be respectful, and probably accepting. But rarely will they equate you as female. Even those days you wear female attire.
    I spoke about expressing female, but resorting back to male when expedient. If you expect to be accepted as female, you can't resort back to male behavior. You will need to find a different way to communicate on those days you express as female. You need to find a way to keep control as a female. Those skills will be needed when you retire from military life to private industry. Where following commands due to rank are not as strict.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W

I think Isha is showing us both sides.

When she is perceived as female, she is often dismissed. Only when reaching into the 'bag 'o male' does she get things back. We are silly monkeys.

- MM

That was my point a couple of posts ago. While Isha thinks she gave up her male card. The gender fluidity she exhibits allows the male to show when needed. To truly be accepted as female. So when expressing as female, there needs to be a way to take control as a female and not as a male. But then again that fluidity will allow switching back and forth regardless of external presentation.
    Just to be clear. I absolutely respect what you are doing. You are far more authentic than many others. You are showing the world your fluid identity. It is in many ways way more difficult than flat out transitioning.
    "When failure is off the table the only thing left is to negotiate levels of success" M Hobbes

"Never Let your Fear Decide Your Fate" Awolnation

"A new dawn destroys the tranquility of the darkness" Steph W