Thread: What are your thoughts on male privilege?

Threaded View

Previous Post Previous Post   Next Post Next Post
    Quote Originally Posted by stefan37 View Post
    If you were born male. You have experienced male privilege whether you are aware of it or not. You were given opportunities that would not have been available to a woman.
    OK. Someone is born female. She has the option of having children or not, and having someone else pay for it or not (pretty easy to arrange, if she's smart at all, really). Males do not have this option. Not to mention, that up until THIS war, we got drafted and women did not, another non-negotiable 'privilege' we had that women didn't.

We can go on about this all day long. Each sex has it's inherent advantages and disadvantages.

In my experience, it's more of a money privilege than anything else. I've discussed this over and over about being male (and I'm white) being somehow favored but I haven't experienced it in person. I think it's more women and racial minorities seeing selected things happen with white men and they automatically assume every guy gets the same treatment, sort of like as men we see beautiful women getting free drinks, dinners, multiple offers of dates every night of the week, and sex whenever they want and sort of think that all women get that. Men with money have options that neither women or men without money get.
    In contrast, there is no affirmative action for white men, anywhere. There are no quotas in the NBA, NFL, or nursing, or cosmetology programs, or teaching or working placement in any field where males are in very low numbers. Because 'some' males are favored, somewhere, all the rest of us have to put up with the backlash and not expect to complain.
    That said, it all comes down to the same old 'the grass is greener on the other side of the fence' viewpoint. There are advantages and disadvantages to each and every group. And it's up to the individual to understand that, and choose the path we want, and not b!tch and moan about how somebody else has what we want. Nobody gets everything they want. That's just how life works.
    As an example: 28 years ago, I switched careers. I was told by my immediate superior that my chances of promotion were nil. Because upper management was lilly white and male, so they wouldn't be advancing me no matter how good I was; my best bet was to look into another industry, because pretty much every company in that business was in the same predicament. I had worked hard for that job, and felt that even with little chance, surely it couldn't be true. Over the next few years I watched as they did indeed, promote female and minority coworkers instead of me despite my better performance, all in the name of so called equality as defined by the EEOC. So much for 'white privilege'. Knowing what I learned, I next went into a field where there were virtually no male workers, and base salary would be more than adequate with pay raises coming with experience, and promotions not necessary.
    Last edited by sometimes_miss; 08-04-2015 at 01:05 AM.
    Some causes of crossdressing you've probably never even considered: My TG biography at:http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...=1#post1490560
    There's an addendum at post # 82 on that thread, too. It's about a ten minute read.
    Why don't we understand our desire to dress, behave and feel like a girl? Because from childhood, boys are told that the worst possible thing we can be, is a sissy. This feeling is so ingrained into our psyche, that we will suppress any thoughts that connect us to being or wanting to be feminine, even to the point of creating separate personalities to assign those female feelings into.