Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Crossdressing at costume party

Crossdressing at costume party

Hi, a couple of my friends are throwing a costume party, and the theme is Big Bang Theory (the comedy tv show). I was thinking of dressing up as Penny (the hot blond chick), but I’m not sure if I should. No one knows I dress, and I don’t want to come out or raise suspicions. What do you suggest I do?

Secondly, should I go as Penny, what should I put on to make me look like her? What would be the most fitting outfit (what type of clothes, hair style, cup size,…)? I am familiar with the show, but it’s really hard to choose a good outfit, since she has so many clothes and hair styles to choose from. If you could give me some suggestions here or put some links to some of her outfits, that’d be really helpful! X

Edit: one more question, should I also wear lingerie underneath, even though no one there will get to see it?

Update: Thanks for all your advice, after reading your comments and thinking it through, I've decided to do it! I just have to make sure I play it off as a joke, don't take it too seriously. I've been looking at lots if outfits, but in the end I' ve come up with this one: https://s-media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com...985ad3f122.jpg I also looove her hairstyle here so I'll probably go with that one as well. Now I need to find a matching wig and dress, so if you see something that looks similar, please let me know.

Also, I still haven't decided on whether or not I should lingerie, any advice on that?

Update 2: Unfortunately something happened to the organizer of the party who's also a good friend. I'm not going to say what exactly as it's quite personal, but because of it the party has been delayed, hopefully not cancelled. I'd say it'll happen around November-December. I know I probably come across as a faker now and I don't blame you, but this is really what happened. I just prefer not to go into detail about it as like I said, it's a personal matter. On the bright side, this does give us some extra time to discuss the outfit. I'm still really unsure about the lingerie: should I, what pieces and size, and where should I get it from?
    Last edited by jessica_brink; 09-30-2015 at 05:22 PM.

As tempting as it is, unless the theme is for all to CD as someone on the show, it will leave a memory in peoples minds and they will likely wonder if there is more to it for you. Especially if you do it well.
    If you instead dress up as the very nerdy Amy, who is not very sexy or feminine, you have a better chance of getting away with it, but ... it wouldnt be the same fun, would it ;-)

On the other hand, if you dont mind people eventually figuring it out or at least having some suspicion that there is more to it, then just go for it and have fun. Even better if you can get a GG friend to go as one of the guys on the show.

You could also go as AquaMan ... but "AquaMan sucks!" ... :-)

Well if you're set on going as Penny, you have 2 real choices.. cute shorts and a tank top (with pigtails or ponytails to suit) to reflect her casual look, or a ruched side bodycon dress (with hair down) and a pair of gorgeous matching heels. (match these with a cute clutch bag) to reflect her going out side.

As Suzie says, Amy or even Bernadette would be a "less obvious" choice, but less fun. If your intention is to stay firmly in the wardrobe, then doing any of these well with makeup and wig etc will jeopardise that, th eonly way is to play it as an obvious "joke" drag outfit. outrageous makeup and deliberately ****ty look, but let's be honest, you don't want to look like some outrageous drag act, you want to look as fabulous as possible.

If it were me, I'd just go for it, and get a close friend (who knows about Jessica) to pretend they helped you with makeup and clothes etc so that you can always laugh it off as just a party thing if you want to.

You could also always go for the wonder woman outfit that Penny wore for the new year party at the comic book store, which would be more of a party outfit than going as "just" Penny.

Well I was thinking of playing it off as a joke (just like Abigail said) so it won't be taken seriously. And yes Amy is not who I'd wanna be

Reality Check
    Since this is your first post on this forum, we don't know if you are an experienced crossdresser, a beginner or what. The risk of one of us going to a party dressed and around people we know is, we would do a much better job and have more of the "equipment" than a guy who is doing this just for a party. How many non-crossdressers do you know who have a $300 pair of silicone boobs, a $200 pair of padded panties, a $100 wig and all the clothes, shoes and makeup to pull this off? Probably none.

If you want to go to a party with friends dressed as a female and not make them start thinking that this isn't your first time, you'll have to stuff your bra with tissues, wear it too high on your chest, wear a cheap costume wig, no hip padding, wear way too much makeup and clothes and shoes from the second hand store. I don't know about you but for me, that would take all the fun out of it.

If you want to dress as Penny, watch the show and pick out an outfit that you like. Take a picture, then go shopping. Or look on the Internet for still photos.

BTW: It would be pretty difficult for most of us to pull off the "hot chick" (Penny) look. You will have to shave your arms and legs to even get close. As mentioned above, Amy would be far easier.

@abigail

sounds good, any specific outfits of hers u really like? And it would have to be Penny, no doubt. And yes play it off as a joke is a great plan. I could definitely ask someone to help me with the transformation, even though she doesn't know bout Jessica (no one does). Also I wouldn't go for the wonder woman outfit, cause then I'd look like Wonder Woman, not Penny

@krisi

I am a beginner, I don't dress everyday and don't have my own clothes. Of course I'm not going to spend that much money on a one-off outfit, I'll have to do with other people's clothes or maybe something from the internet, like I'm not going to buy breast forms if I can use water balloons. And there are so many outfits of her I love, so it's hard to choose from that. Also shaving is not a problem, sure Amy would be easier but I have the feeling I can pull it off. I don't have to be too convincing and don't need all the proper cd stuff
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-04-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: Consecutive posts merged - please use edit post to add to existing post rather than adding a successive post...

Okay, well if you're going to go for the "caricaturised" take on things, you need to emphasise the long blonde hair and the massive cleavage.. balloons can obviously do for the cleavage, but you have to go for either a keyhole type dress (usually bodycon style) which Penny wears a lot, or a low cut Cami style top matched with either cute jeans or a matching mini-skirt.

She wears a lot of Dark reds and deep oranges, as well as wearing blue from royal to cerulean.

So.. cheap wig from the net (long platinum blonde party wigs should be around $15-$20 online), any cami or strappy crop top with a pattern from a thrift store (Penny even manages to pull off paisley print), $5. Cheap jersey skirt in a matching colour $5-$10 online or from any clothing store. then whatever shoes you want with them.

Alternatively, a nice keyhole bodycon dress instead of the crop top and skirt.. you should be able to find something online for $10-$20. Make sure the "boobs" are pushed together and showing over the top of the cami and then work hard on learning some of her more "blonde" phrases to emphasise the character rather than the look itself.

Hope you have fun with it

@abigail

Ok thx, good descriptions, I'll have to decide which look to go for. If you see a good wig tell me. Didn't know her cleavage is that huge, although I definitely don't mind And yes blonde phrases are a great idea, do you any good, typical ones? Haven't seen the show in a while
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-04-2015 at 12:20 PM. Reason: No need to quite entire previous post :)

Reality Check
    Penny does not have large breasts. Turn on the TV. The show runs once a week and reruns run every day in my area. Or, buy a DVD.

I know the show and I've seen her outfits on google, it's just soo hard to pick one that also fits for the party.
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-04-2015 at 12:21 PM. Reason: Previous post quoted

Her breasts aren't large, I never said they were. However, when wearing tank tops and cami tops, she tends to wear a push up bra and displays a generous cleavage. Hence me only ever referring to the cleavage and not to her actual breasts. I hope that clears up any confusion.

Oh ok I see, yes ur right bout that. Any luck on the wig or blonde phrases BTW?
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-04-2015 at 12:22 PM. Reason: Previous post quoted

Go as Amy...

"...should I go as Penny, what should I put on to make me look like her?"

99+% of experienced crossdressers could not pull off her look. A wig, makeup and clothes will not make you look like her unless you look like her to begin with.

"Well I was thinking of playing it off as a joke (just like Abigail said) so it won't be taken seriously."

Been there, done that. If you do it well you will be whisper outed whether you think it is a joke or not. If you choose to not do it well you might as well go as Amy because you will not come off looking like, as you call it, "the hot blond chick."

I'm not expecting to look just like her, there's no way that will happen, but as long as people get the idea of penny when they see mee that's good enough. It's just a costume party, not a drag contest
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-04-2015 at 12:22 PM.

No problem. My experience was different when going to "just a costume party." Good luck.
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-04-2015 at 12:23 PM. Reason: Unnecessary to quote entire previous post

I would go the whole way, but then I'm into "outing" myself. if you want to be secret, don't, if you're ready to come out, then its a great way, and if no-one really realises, well then no harm done!
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

Banned Read only
    Jessica, don't kid yourself and don't buy into the "it's a party so it's ok" idea. 100% of the party goers will think there is more to you than they previously suspected. 100%. I would bet my life that the majority will instantly assume you are a closet cross dresser. And the more you attempt to look like an actual woman, the greater the suspicion.

The question is, do you care what anyone suspects? You are not outing yourself but you will set a new baseline for your friends.

Quote Originally Posted by jessica_brink View Post
    [...] as long as people get the idea of penny when they see mee that's good enough.
    So wear a "Hello, my name is Penny" tag and you're all set no matter how good or bad your execution is.

For the rest, people will think what they want to think and there's nothing you can do about that. Which is always the case.

Platinum Member
    Hi Jessica, If you do dress as penny, Just don't try to look too good,
    and walking in heels perfectly will be a dead give away.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Female Illusionist! docrobbysherry's Avatar
    Vanilla guys dressed as women tend to lean toward the ridiculous and over the top. Think; balloons for boobs. Cheesy nylons and shoes, tennies? Terrible wig and make up with a heavy 5 oclock shadow.

If u look too good or make it look like u care? Folks MAY TALK!
    U can't keep doing the same things over and over and expect to enjoy life to the max. When u try new things, even if they r out of your comfort zone, u may experience new excitement and growth that u never expected.

Challenge yourself and pursue your passions! When your life clock runs out, you'll have few or NO REGRETS!

There is a good chance the joke will follow you, so be prepared to joke with it long after the party!

I think the answers to whether you should or shouldn't and to what extent lie in the rapport you have with your friends. If they know you as the type to take the unexpected approach... and with dedication and flair... then your secret may easily be overlooked as something they deem affectionately as "SO you." On the other hand, if they know you to be a little more on the reserved side, then your sudden abandonment of character would certainly raise questions.

Then again, raising questions can sometimes be fun. Of course, if you're 100% committed to keeping things on the hush, then it's simply out of the question.

Quote Originally Posted by jessica_brink View Post
    I'm not expecting to look just like her, there's no way that will happen, but as long as people get the idea of penny when they see mee that's good enough.
    Well, if you show up at a Big Bang Theory themed costume party as a blonde with boobs and a skirt, they aren't gonna think "Leonard"

Jen

I would wear the lot, if you can look like Penny you will have a lot of fun fending of all the Lenoards there.
    Work on your elegance,
    and beauty will follow.