Page 1 of 4 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Famous crossdressers

Famous crossdressers

Hi everyone,

I have been working hard recently on giving myself a bit of a break and not beating myself up about the fact I like to crossdress, learning self acceptance etc but it got me thinking - how many famous people out there that openly crossdress? And I mean hetro men/women who are crossdressers, not drag queens (gay) or those who have transitioned. Without looking online I can think of 1 - Eddie Izzard. I also heard that Lady Gaga sometimes performs dressed as a man so I guess that's actually 2! Without looking on The Internet can you think of any well known crossdressers and what are they famous for?

Also, and this may apply to UK based folk more so, what do you think of the current run of money supermarket ads? Is it a good thing or perhaps damaging to hoe people might perceive crossdressers? (Those who don't live in the UK can find the ad on YouTube - search money supermarket ads 2015) Personally, I'm not sure. I saw an interview with the guy strutting in heels and I get the impression he was gay although he never said he was so in some resects it may reinforce that thing with thee juggles that only gay fellas crossdress.. Whaddaya think?

You probably dont know him but over here in the Netherlands we have a famous novelist called Maarten Hart who openly crossdresses. Nobody knew until some years ago he suddenly appeared en femme on a tv chat show and totally confessed and came out. Think he got loads of stick for it but I gave him every credit! Other than him I wouldn't know of any.
    Love and hugs Jeanette

Nope can't think of any other famous cross dressers either.
    The money supermarket add???? I'm not sure that anybody really perceives the man as a cross dresser, rather than just another actor in a very second rate ad. Personally I find the whole bunch of ads for these comparison sites to be utter rubbish, in fact so bad that I would never even consider using the product.
    End of rant.

Hi Heelios... glad to hear the self-acceptance is coming along - just remember it's society's fault for not appreciating just how creative and fabulous we all are!

Without Googling - Hetero CD....? - I can add Grayson Perry (British artist who received his CBE from Prince Charles crossdressed) - is Kiefer Sutherland or is that just a rumour...? I think the difficult thing will be determining sexual preference as many will keep that quite private. That's probably all from memory...

Even with Google you won't add many... and then change 'famous' to 'influential' and I think this demonstrates that the stigma of our condition is alive and well across western society - the muggles will expect artists and actors to do weird and wacky things for their art, but anyone who wants to be taken seriously and maintain their male reputation keeps it firmly in their closet...

Sad, really...

Katey x

PS: Money Supermarket ad? Hate it - find it a little demeaning to both CDs and GGs..
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-05-2015 at 04:43 AM. Reason: Added PS
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

Aspiring Member
    Here in Singapore, radio DJ Dennis Chew a.k.a. Auntie Lucy comes to mind. Mostly of local fame, a recurring personality, but not at all famous worldwide.

That said, NIMBY is still everywhere despite his popularity...

Platinum Member
    Heelios, My favorite Crossdresser was Bugs Bunny.
    Having my ears triple pierced is AWESOME, ~~......

I can explain it to you, But I can't comprehend it for you !

If at first you don't succeed, Then Skydiving isn't for you.

Be careful what you wish for, Once you ring a bell , you just can't Un-Ring it !! !!

Aspiring Member
    Joan of Arc comes to mind. Oh, wait, I believe that was before internet.

Ineke

Banned Read only
    In Mexico we have a youtuber famous transgender girl, she is Victoria Volkova she is a very cute girl I watch always her videos in youtube, has a very great style!

Banned Read only
    Heelios,
    I commented about the ad a while ago, I found it thoughtless and tasteless ! My wife is OK with it but I can imagine what goes through her mind, but can you imagine if someone is in dire straights with their CDing or they've gone through a separation over it ! Besides I can't see the connection with price comparison advice !

Famous people, who CD , Ed Wood, J Edgar Hoover ( I hope I've got the name right !) Grayson Perry as Katie said, I haven't made the Who's Who list yet so you won't see Teresa on the list !

John Travolta, Dennis Rodman?

Ed Wood
    Dan Dailey
    Marvin Gaye
    David Johansen
    Buzz Bissinger

checked out the ad…sets back the perception of cross dressers by a good twenty years

Heelios,
    I'm inclined to agree with Katey and Teresa regarding the MoneySupermarket ad. I find it pretty creepy and demeaning.

What about Dennis Rodman?

J . Edgar Hoover.

I wouldn't claim Dennis Rodman. Just saying he isn't someone I would use as a role model for crossdressing. John Travolta? Other than his role in Hairspray?

May be a good caveat to say "real" crossdressers and not people who dressed for roles.
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

not sure how much musical performers count.... cuz sometimes it's just for a larf / shock ? performance!

Marilyn Manson
    Kurt Cobain / Nirvana dudes
    Steven Tyler of Aerosmith
    Scott Weiland of Stone Temple Pilots (confessed on Craig Kilborn to enjoying wearing panties and bras ...?! the confession made kilby / craiggers quite nervous~ haha!)
    Bradford Cox of Deerhunter
    DAVID frickin BOWIE
    Homer Simpson (strictly a comfort thing! as he discussed...)

Patrick swayze

Aren't they called drag queens if they're only doing it for entertaining purpose? Is there any celebrity who came out as a crossdresser after becoming famous?

Lord Cornbury (Edward Hyde, 3rd Earl of Clarendon) was appointed as the British Governor of New York and New Jersey, 1701-1708. Cornbury is reported to have opened the 1702 New York Assembly clad in a hooped gown and an elaborate headdress and carrying a fan, imitative of the style of Queen Anne. When his choice of clothing was questioned, he replied, "You are all very stupid people not to see the propriety of it all. In this place and occasion, I represent a woman (The Queen), and in all respects I ought to represent her as faithfully as I can." He was apparently also seen crossdressed on numerous other occasions. Unfortunately, his administration was marked by graft and corruption and there are some who regard him as "the worst governor Britain ever appointed to an American colony."

The Chevalier D'Eon (Charles-Geneviève-Louis-Auguste-André-Timothée d'Éon de Beaumont) began his life as a man, born in 1728. He was a soldier, a spy, and a diplomat. Very high in the political circles of his day. At the age of 49, in 1777, he began to dress as a woman and claimed he had been born female. He spent the next 33 years of life as a woman. Eon's sex was so disputed that it was the subject of a betting pool on the London Stock Exchange!

At one point, exiled from France, Eon struck a deal with King Louis XVI of France that permitted Eon's return, but only if Eon continued to live and dress as a female! Oddly enough, Eon, dressed and living as a woman, was Royally allowed to continue to wear the insignia of the Order of Saint-Louis, an honor achieved in Eon's male life.

Upon Eon's death the medical examinener declared Eon to have been physically male.

Francois De Choisy was born in 1644. His mother dressed him as a little girl. (His playmate, Philippe I, was also dressed as a little girl, possibly to keep his older brother, King Louis XIV, from seeing him as a threat to the Crown). When De Choisy grew older he tried men's clothes for a while, but then went back to women's clothes for pretty much all of his life. He was very popular, particularly with the ladies of his day. He died in 1724 and his racy and revealing book, The Transvestite Memoirs, was published in 1737.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

One of the most famous crossdressers I can think of is of course Joan of arc! And God was okay with her doing it too!

Jokes aside I can't think of any others apart from Eddie izzard

Sarah x
    I cant stand to fly, I'm not that naive. I'm just out to find the better part of me. I'm more than a bird, I'm more than a plane, I'm more than some pretty face beside a train. Its not easy to be me.

Anyone remember Milton Berle from the early days of television?
    How about Flip Wilson as Geraldine the Playboy Bunny?

Oh! I almost forgot!

Catalina de Erauso, one of the wildest women ever! She escaped from a convent in 1599, at the age of 15, dressed as a boy (she had apparently made boy's clothes out of her underwear). She joined the Spanish army and, in 1603, was shipped off to fight in the Americas! She fought valiantly, helping Spain conquor Peru and played her role, uh, to the hilt, even toying with pretty girls. In 1624 the Pope granted her the right to remain in male attire. She is still a folktale celebrity.

Hugs,
    Persephone.
    Last edited by Persephone; 08-06-2015 at 02:43 AM.
    "If you are living the life you want to live you've successfully transitioned to being the person you want to be." - Eryn.

"If you truly care about me you should damn well want for me what I want for myself" - Michael Westen (Burn Notice)

-.-. --.-/-.-. --.-/-.-. -../ Persephone™ and Persephone™ are trademarks of Persephone herself, accept no substitutes. The terms "en femme" and "en drab" originated with Marcia Sampson/Staylace (OBM).

Ithink i remember Elmer Fudd i fem attire once
    a movie that starred Patrick Swayze, Wesley Snipes, and ankther.
    Milton Berle, Micheal J Fox, several others in old time tv did it.
    most notably remembered, Tim Curry in the Rocky Horror Picture Show.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

geeze make ONE movie dressed as a woman and you are a crossdresser for life? I still would like to see this list stay with people who crossdress because they want to, not because it is a job they had. And I wonder, was Joan D'Arc a crossdresser or was she Transsexual?

Otherwise you can add Jeffery Tambor, Jaye Davidson, Felicity Huffman to a list of TSs
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,