Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Famous crossdressers

Two who were character actors playing in crossdressing roles are Tom Hanks in 'Bosom Buddies' along with Peter Scolari and Cary Grant in 'I Was A Male War Bride.'

For you young folk look it up!

No! I'm not there yet!

Always Ilsa

My apologizes to anyone offended by my reference to Old Age.

PS - Who's to say that some of these actors mentioned in this thread weren't closeted and the roles they played were an opportunity to express their real selves.
    Last edited by Ilsa; 08-05-2015 at 07:30 PM. Reason: Addition

There's a difference between an entertainer (or anyone else for that matter) who dresses as the opposite gender for entertainment purposes and a crossdresser who dresses for other reasons (whether it's fetish or personal expression or a "fashion statement" or whatever). While some people who have crossdresssed for entertainment purposes may also be crosdressers in the other sense we can't know that unless they come out and say so (or other evidence comes to light). I'd prefer to let people say for themselves what their own labels are.

Well known people who are open about their crossdressing? The ones I can think of off-hand have already been mentioned. Eddie Izzard, Grayson Perry, and a few others. Oh, there have been a few famous men who have been known to wear women's clothing and be more or less open about it, but I don't know if they have actually labeled themselves CD; such as Iggy Pop.

I did a web search for one of the names I didn't know, and this link was near the top of the search results (from 2006) -

http://www.crossdressers.com/forums/...Crossdress(ed)

Silver Member
    J Edgar Hoover being a crossdresser is just an urban legend
    http://www.straightdope.com/columns/...-cross-dresser

I just saw the supermarket ad people were talking about... I don't get it? Is it a reference to something? Is there a reason he is wearing heels and such ridiculously short and tight short shorts?

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by mikayla1964 View Post
    Patrick swayze
    Seriously? I know about the movie gig but in real life (IRL)?

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    I don't count movie roles sorry.

Hollywood legend Esther Williams claimed that leading man Jeff Chandler was a crossdresser & that he had the latest Paris fashions. In her autobiography she told him " Jeff, you're too big to wear polkadots " I'm sure many youngsters here won't have heard of either of these stars.

I guess Alexander Skarsgard just showed up to a movie premier in full drag - he sounded pretty respectful of it, too: http://www.buzzfeed.com/lyapalater/a...ve#.snV0N80Y7k

Banned Read only
    Quote Originally Posted by Sarah-RT View Post
    One of the most famous crossdressers I can think of is of course Joan of arc! And God was okay with her doing it too!

Jokes aside I can't think of any others apart from Eddie izzard

Sarah x
    hahaha that's a good one!

Aspiring Member
    Quote Originally Posted by Vickie_CDTV View Post
    J
    I just saw the supermarket ad people were talking about... I don't get it? Is it a reference to something? Is there a reason he is wearing heels and such ridiculously short and tight short shorts?
    We in the UK don't get it, either. That company have been using the tagline "You're SO Money Supermarket", in all their advertising campaigns since they started, but I've never been able to work out what that means. I'm guessing it means that you do things differently - not like the crowd.
    Just like KayeGirl said, I hate that ad so much, that I would never use them.

Some good responses here but just to clarify I meant people who actually choose to crossdress - I wasn't thinking necessarily about those that have crossdressered as part of a role on a film or TV show (television! ). And it would appear that the numbers are low... I will look some of the, up that I have not heard of though.

Persephone - some interesting examples from history there which makes me think of all the aristocracy from middle age England and how all the gents would dress up in flamboyant garms, heeled shoes, massive wigs and tons of make up! And they'd have enormous paintings done of them selves, probably at great expense, and hung up in their mansions to show off to their friends.

As far as the money super market ad is concerned it in undoubtably a pile of, ahem, dogs droppings. And now we also have the one of the somewhat over weight fella pole dancing. Also stinking of canine faeces. And to think people get paid a fortune to come up with this shit. I don't watch a lot of mainstream TV these days especially commercial TV and when I do I always mute the ads but that one caught my attention for obvious reasons.

TrueNorth Strong & Fierce Princess Chantal's Avatar
    Hmmm I wonder how many of the names mentioned would be crossed off the list because they are/were not heterosexual, but bisexual. Lady Gaga is proudly bisexual. The only known crossdresser/transvestite that has described himself as heterosexual is Izzard. I guess they don't really care to connect their sexuality to crossdressing
    Last edited by Princess Chantal; 08-06-2015 at 06:59 AM.

I've no proof but I think John Travolta enjoys dressing aside from his career dressing, and along with him, Tom Cruise (I can just picture him with lipstick and trying to hide his enjoyment), but it may just be a gay thing with those two. With all their money and power, it wouldn't surprise me that they could hide it from the public successfully.

Quote Originally Posted by Princess Chantal View Post
    The only known crossdresser/transvestite that has described himself as heterosexual is Izzard. I guess they don't really care to connect their sexuality to crossdressing
    Grayson Perry is married with a child and I can't find anything that has indicated him declaring bisexuality, so that would make him #2 (He did share a squat with Boy George as a student, but I don't think anyone here will subscribe to the belief that just sharing somewhere with someone who's gay makes you gay as well... OK, maybe there are a few numpties here... )

I do think this counters a little of the belief that our condition is becoming more accepting and that there are many of us... At the risk of being a broken record, you don't reveal being a CD/TV to anyone if you want to continue to be taken seriously - being TG/TS is seen as distinctly different but the muggles are still hugely confused over what and why CD's are what they/ we are...

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

If I remember right it was Marvin Gaye's father who was a crossdresser, not Marvin himself. Though sometimes it was a hard call with those crazy 80s fashions.

Richard Simmons crossdesses a lot, but I'm pretty sure hetero he is not.
    Last edited by Taylor186; 08-06-2015 at 10:53 AM.

As I recall, David Carradine was wearing panties when he accidentally choked himself to death.

rumors and innuendos. I really don't see what sexuality has to do with any of this. On some of these I think a few people here should work for the Enquirer.

And why hasn't anyone mentioned Sir Elton?
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

Quote Originally Posted by Lorileah View Post
    And why hasn't anyone mentioned Sir Elton?
    Because Sir Reggie is defo not hetero and the OP specifically said:

And I mean hetro men/women who are crossdressers, not drag queens (gay) or those who have transitioned.
    Even so - he's still just another artiste and a little wayward fashion sense is all part of the show, isn't it...

There just aren't any, are there... Has anyone thought it might be because CDing itself is a barrier to exceptional performance in any field...? (NB: I am NOT talking TS here - I'll have enough brickbats to deal with from just the larger slice of membership... )

Really... think about how obsessive we get about this thing; how much it preoccupies us... not saying it's our fault, but it can't half be distracting...

Katey x
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-06-2015 at 12:44 PM.
    Stefani Germanotta

Monty Python's Flying Circus. "I don't like Spam!"

Quote Originally Posted by Heelios View Post
    I mean hetro men/women who are crossdressers, not drag queens (gay)
    Oh, I didn't see that sentence.. so I'm automatically a drag queen just because I'm attracted to men? How silly.. How old are you, OP?

Buzz Bissenger who just wrote Vanity Fair article about Caitlyn Jenner. He also wrote Friday Night Lights.
    Suzanne

Silver Member
    Brian Molko of the band Placibo

Stas Fedyanin.

Not famous outside of Russia and the world of modeling, but he is hetero, and you wanted hetero so there you go.
    Last edited by Katey888; 08-08-2015 at 12:32 PM. Reason: Removed incorrect quotation/ edit

Nobody mention Lou Reed yet!

From Wikipedia - re Lou Reed:

In the 1970s, Reed had a distinctive persona: "Back then he was publicly gay...in 1980, Reed .... became openly heterosexual, openly married."
    Does that mean he qualifies or not...? (can you revert to being heterosexual after being gay... wouldn't that just mean you're non-practicing bisexual...? ) And did he crossdress that much...?

Perhaps we need a tighter, more mainstream definition for 'famous' too...

Katey x
    Stefani Germanotta