Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Your perceptions of what is female privilege

Your perceptions of what is female privilege

This post poses a question from the responses I've seen from some at the "Male Privilege" thread started by JenniferYager.

Okay so, since some people here believe there is a big female privilege that is supossed to be a counter balance to male privilege, and some seem to think all this whole feminist claim that sexism is still at large is false, and go as far as denying the established patriarchy, I'd like to know exactly what do you understand for female privilege.

It'd be interesting to see your opinions on the matter and what makes you think there isn't machism / sexism anymore, so please list down some subjects that you think are female privilege.

Please don't post that your life wasn't any privileged or things like that, we are not discussing personal specific stories here, just a list of what you perceive as female privilege and explain why on each point.

Thanks in advance...

1. young child playgroups here in the uk, as a male i was made distinctly unwelcome
    2. female-only clubs and services (we're not really allowed male-only nowadays but it seems to be fine for female ones) e.g. women-only gyms, nike about to open a women-only store in the uk
    3. eye to eye casual contact and smile woman-to-woman, definitely not allowed male-to-female with partners there
    4. certain fundraising events, women-only taxi firms

there's more
    https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=dJFyz73MRcg
    I used to believe this, now I'm in the company of many tiggers. A tigger does not wonder why she is a tigger, she just is a tigger.

thanks to krististeph: tigger = TG'er .. T-I-GG-er

MIDI warrior princess Amy Fakley's Avatar
    Interesting thread idea!

The concept of privilege also encapsulates motivation and point of view. What I mean by that, is this. Your perception of privilege is biased by what it is you want, and what it is you perceive as standing between you and that thing (and the ease with which you perceive others attaining it).

Here's a very basic example. As a genetic male, it is my "privilege" to buy and wear jockey shorts (i.e. "Tighty Whities"), with absoloutely zero question within my culture. However, as an MtF transgender person, this is not actually something I want. So from my perspective, that's doesnt seem like "privelege". From the perspective of some of our FtM brothers, that probably seems very much like privelege.

So ....I forsee post after post in the thread detailing all the things that women generally have access to in our culture that men do not. Girls aren't expected to excel in physically demanding tasks, girls get a pass to show all sorts of emotions that men are just about universally shamed for even hinting at, women get all sorts of doors opened based entirely on looks, yadda yadda yadda.

And it's all true, but it's only "privelege" if you wanted that in the first place. Many of us do. Many genetic women really really do not.

About the only area where that isn't true is money, because everyone wants it pretty much. Because of that, it's one of the only objective measures of privelege we have. In that respect, the men are undoubtedly way ahead.
    "Why shouldn't art be pretty? There are enough unpleasant things in the world." -Pierre-Auguste Renoir

-Women aren't registered for the draft. They aren't expected to go to war. Dying for your country remains an almost exclusively male club.

-There are female quotas for universities, despite the fact that more females attend college than males since at least 2003 (http://www.nber.org/digest/jan07/w12139.html). The only male quotas I've ever seen are for nursing.

-Females get priority in child visitation rights during a divorce. http://www.divorcenet.com/resources/...y-over-80-time

-Multiple social constructs favor females. For example, the house is spoken of as a female domain, and at best men get a "men's room" (typically a non-air conditioned garage) to pursue any passions they may have.

-The whole 77 cents on a dollar thing is false, but it's apparently OK to continue to lie to people about it. http://www.washingtonpost.com/blogs/...occhio-rating/

-Women can choose to stay at home or pursue a career, or both! It's all socially acceptable. Men are expected to have employment, being unemployed as a male is viewed much more negatively than for females.

I could go on and on. The point is not that one side has it worse than another. Or rather, MY point is not that one is worse/better than another. My point is that to throw rocks and say "males have it great all the time" is to take a very unfair view on life. Everyone gets advantages and disadvantages. Some of these you are born into, but most of them you make over your life. Females can be successful at almost anything in America, and the same goes for males. Yet when we say that there is bias and then take steps to cancel the bias, we destroy the achievements of both people. Would you want someone to come up to you and say "The only reason you're successful is because you were born into it?" That is VERY offensive to me. I would also be offended if someone told me "The only reason you're successful is because we put laws in place that give you priority over others." That diminishes my achievements by saying I wasn't good enough to do it on my own.

Now, should laws apply equally? Absolutely! Everyone deserves to be treated like a human being and we should catch ourselves before judging others based on chromosomes, skin color, religion, etc. That judgement goes both ways. I'm all about stamping out problems where people are being discriminated against. But the reverse is true too. Don't automatically judge me because I'm a white male, just as I won't judge someone because they are a black female. It's a two-way street.

<soap box>
    The reverse part is what irks most people. I don't like seeing my female friends and co-workers discriminated against because they are women. It sickens me, and I (and plenty of others) do what we can to stop it. But when I do that and then later someone tells me I'm born with all sorts of privilege, it grinds on me. If you're going to imply I'm somehow no better than a wife beating drunk, then don't be surprised when I get offended.

</soap box>
    Last edited by JenniferYager; 08-05-2015 at 05:07 PM. Reason: spelling

Oh boy this is going to be fun.

Pendulums do swing. When a group gains rights, the other group screams foul. I really kinda doubt that if Nike opened a "men's" store it would be seen as discrimination. We have those here, men's stores, big men's stores, male athletic clubs. They just have to be balanced with women's IF they are somehow supported or subsidized by the government. You can have an all male gym, in fact they do. If you succeed, great. Maybe different across the pond.

I can't wait to see what men think women get that they don't

The pay scale thing, Wash post has some issues. It isn't all that well respected. I found two articles that disagree http://www.iwpr.org/initiatives/pay-...discrimination and http://www.payscale.com/gender-lifetime-earnings-gap. So it depends on your oxen.

The draft went away years ago and if it was to be reinstated women would likely be equal Quotas for universities are under Title IX...it says there must be EQUAL access. It doesn't say more. When the applications to a school are 90% women , the men get the same courtesy. The staying at home thing? Really? I find that insulting since the workforce is about 50-50 now and I KNOW men who stay home and haven't lost any respect.
    Last edited by Lorileah; 08-05-2015 at 05:16 PM. Reason: added
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

The biggest advantages women have but generally don't acknowledge in my experience:

1. Automatic custody of children in divorce proceedings in almost 100% of situations
    2. Women aged 65 live on average until 86.6. Men live until 84.3. So women live about 10% longer, and therefore collect 10% more in SS benefits, but men do not get a lower tax rate to compensate.
    3. Products that would cost women more (health insurance, financial annuities) are generally illegal to rate by gender; products that cost men more (life insurance, car insurance) are generally legal to rate by gender.

as with any argument, there needs to be definition so
    Privilege : a right or benefit that is given to some people and not to others

Living longer is not a privilege...it is a fact. Paying more or less is not a Privilege, it is based on actuarial statistics. Insurance companies aren't in the business to give special rights to people, they set that on making money. That's social security, you pay in, you get back. In the 1940s men and women died younger, thus one argument why social security now needs to be revamped. You pay X and on average live Y you get that percentage. It's done by magic computers in big sky scarpers.
    Car insurance...who has more accidents and it's not by privilege? Life insurance...who has more heart attacks and strokes or fall off cliffs retrieving a Frisbee? Taxes are (or should be based on income, not how long you'll live) so if women make more, they get taxed equally to men.

The custody thing, I agree there is some societal leaning toward mothers but there is also a great weight on how many men WANT full time custody and the burden that goes with it. So I'll accept the custody part in places where law hasn't balanced things. Oh and almotst 100% is false
    The earth is the mother of all people and all people should have equal rights upon it.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

“Love isn't a state of perfect caring. It is an active noun like struggle. To love someone is to strive to accept that person exactly the way he or she is, right here and now.” - Fred Rogers,

My first girlfriend ended her life at age 21. But, i have had four or five men I know, end their lives. Women have an advantage over men, socially. Far fewer women are trouble loners. Men also need women , far more than women need men. I went to singles dances for ten years, from age 46, to age 56. I cannot count the number of divorced women, who said, they are finished with men, who need them? I have met many in church, and 12 step groups, who echo the same sentiments. I have know loner men, who i believe died form lonliness and lack of love and connection. I struggle with that, too, accutely. I heard a commercial for a womens conference. " What do women want? More choices"! No freakin nation int earth history, has ever offered women more choices than America, in the past 50 years. However, the stresses of being breadwinner, mom, wife, etc, is taking a bit toll on women, too.

Full Geek Status Adriana Moretti's Avatar
    whats up with 'Ladies Night" ?? ....

1. When she "shuts you down".
    Would that be a privilege? Or simply just a power. Nonetheless, after years of personal research and listening to men worldwide, this one could just simply be a fact

GG/SO of a CD
    I think that the point of many posts in the other thread, were to argue whether or not male privilege even exists.

Anyone who posted that it does not, cannot then come in here and talk about how female privilege does. If one exists, obviously so does the other.

I do find it interesting what some of you consider female privileges that I HATE about being a woman. Always perspective though. Someone did say it right, if you don't "want" that privilege it could be considered an oppression.

For example, I have seen the example of Physical prowess in both this thread and others. I hate that people assume that I am weak and cannot excel at physical activities. So it is interesting to me the perspective some of you have on that. I love to excel at physical activities, and just competed in a a 25 military style obstacle race. I want to be fierce, and respected for what I can do with my body that is not "visual".

things like women only gyms and clubs were created out of a need for the services. Many women get sexually harassed at gyms, and Muslim women cannot exercise with men, its against their religion. I also don't see the being emotional at all times, but I was written up when I cried at work, and haven't done it since. So.... That depends on the environment. We definitely can share our feeling more.

Things that I can see the argument for..
    Affirmative action: Its not a bonus to me to be a woman in men dominated fields. It would work even more to my advantage if I was a woman of color.
    I can wear whatever clothes I want within reason and not have my gender questioned. However my sexuality would be in question if I dressed more like a "man"
    If Lucas and I got divorced, it would be easier for me to keep the kids, house, and dog.

Also, can we try to be respectful here of women. Saying things like "Its apparently okay to lie about 77 cents", seems really aggressive to me, when in the end it depends on what source you are using for your facts. I think we can treat each other like adults here can't we?

And Kelsey. If "when she shuts you down" is regarding sex, I am going to nip that right now, EVERYONE ALWAYS HAS THE RIGHT TO CONSENT. No means no. Shutting you down sexually means no. Its not a power thing, its not a privilege thing. Its a consent thing. No one ever owes anyone sex ever. Jokes about consent are not funny. So I hope that you meant something else.
    Last edited by Greenie; 08-05-2015 at 07:25 PM.
    ~Greenie

Supportive wife to a wonderful man who just so happens to like to be fabulous some times.

Banned Read only
    This is all sort of funny because NOTHING that has been mentioned is going to get you into the Boardroom...

DeeAnn

As a female myself I've never really thought about it. I disagree with a lot of what people think are privileges of women. Like dressing in whatever we want. True we can wear clothing of both genders and are less likely to be called out and judged for it, but we still get that and we have the whole **** shaming thing surrounding what we wear. We get called b****y for being assertive and blamed for meekness, but i think that has more to do with how we blame people being stepped on as a society (it happens to men who are "meek" too).

Off the top of my head:

The suicide example I know is heartfelt, but the mortality rate for men is partly because they tend to choose more lethal methods which results in more completed suicides while women tend to have fewer completed suicides and a higher attempt rate due to less lethal methods. The screening for suicide is definitely not sufficient to help older men, and that's an area that needs improvement and is receiving attention as we speak.

Another big difference I think is also valid surrounds victimization and sexual abuse. Males are taken less seriously when reporting domestic abuse, rape, stalking, etc. As a society we don't handle these situations well to start, but men get less help here.

These are disparities not privileges.

Quote Originally Posted by Greenie View Post
    I do find it interesting what some of you consider female privileges that I HATE about being a woman. Always perspective though. Someone did say it right, if you don't "want" that privilege it could be considered an oppression.
    ^ I agree here 100%. I was a comic book and video games girl as a kid and was expected to like the "girly" things. It caused a lot of trouble. People got offended because an 8 year old didn't want to pretend to change diapers. And I was in to a relatively neutral thing there, so I can only imagine how hurtful it is for a male child to be scolded for wanting to play with a doll or wear clothes that aren't stereo typically male. As an adult I'm rarely questioned about this because I'm an adult... who reads comics and plays video games... but it's my money lol. But i still get comments for not fulfilling the ideal female image. I wear dresses and combat boots with no makeup 90% of the time that I'm not in scrubs or the gym. Ballerina flats when I have to be more professional. I get pushed to wear heels (ouch) and people will openly ask me why I don't wear make up or tell me I'd be prettier with it (thanks... this is my face. Plus I get zits with make-up and would rather sleep the extra half hour and save some money). It comes off as a requirement imposed by society, not a privilege on my end. And that applies both ways. Men certainly have those hurdles to face as well.

Quote Originally Posted by JenniferYager View Post

-There are female quotas for universities, despite the fact that more females attend college than males since at least 2003 (http://www.nber.org/digest/jan07/w12139.html). The only male quotas I've ever seen are for nursing.
    From the article I see no evidence that there are female quota's for admission to universities. From reading the article it seems that girls spend more time on homework and have less behavioral problems. So girls are more dedicated in school and have less behavioral problems, so it only stands to reason they would have a higher percentage of admissions to college than boys. This is not priviledge, it is doing what it takes to get to college. If boys spend more time on homework and do not cause behavioral problems then they are more likely to go to college too.

Well I have always believed that women have it easy in many ways, but my views may be tainted and one dimensional.
    For example, from where I live (in a city with long hot summers) women are allowed to wear thin-light clothing and be accepted into clubs and restaurants (you get the idea), while as a guy I am forced to read the policy "shirts/ties/jackets" required. As a women turning up in a pair of sexy sandals will only turn heads and as a guy I will only be turned away!!!!
    Where is the fairness?

It seems to me that very few restaurants have much of a dress code at all anymore. Most of the restaurants that do have a "shirts/ties/jackets" required are in private clubs from my observation. Now some of the club's do allow women to get in wearing thin-light clothing, but it is usually sexy looking women, and the club is trying to attract men with money, so for the club it is about the bottom line. My feeling is a woman without sex appeal will not get the same treatment as a woman with sex appeal.

Platinum Member
    My perception is that presumptions about male or female 'privilege' simply are an expression of each individual's personal prejudices and fantasies. My observation is that the vast majority of humanity (male or female) enjoy damned few, if any privileges. In reality, their waking moments are a constant struggle to survive, rarely allowing even a few moments of simple pleasure or satisfaction. Their dreams may offer respite for a few fleeting moments each night, or may be nightmarish reflections of their daily fears and frustrations.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

I posted a link to this list in another thread. I thought some of the items on the list were a bit of a stretch and/or not really applicable any more, so I'm not posting them here. But, you are free to look them up.

I want to note that many of the items below portray women in subordinate roles, which I assume many members here would think is desirable, hence a "privilege". But, many women do NOT want to place themselves in subordinate roles any more, they want and deserve an equal status, and so they might not think the items below are advantageous or desirable ... except the ability to be warm and empathetic. But then, men can also exude warmth and empathy if they want to, without any loss of esteem from others.

So for the people who envy the more subordinate aspect of being a woman, I'm sure you'll agree with the items below.

1) People are likely to assume I am a warm and empathetic person.

2) People are likely to assist me when I must perform a physically arduous task.

3) If my car breaks down or I am otherwise in distress, people will be more likely to stop and help me.

4) If I am being physically assaulted, no matter the gender of my assailant, it is more likely that passersby will intervene.

5) People are likely to assume I am a competent parent, unless and until I prove otherwise.

6) People are more likely to respect my right to be offended by inappropriate or impolite behavior.

7) If I yell, people are not likely to believe I am going to hurt them.

10) If I work in a profession that is dominated by the opposite gender, people are likely to see it as "heroic", or a sign of social progress, rather than that I am deficient in some way.

11) If I show weakness, the first response of most people will be to console or help me, not criticize me, ignore me, or dismiss me as pathetic.

12) I am not expected to make the "first move" when meeting members of the opposite sex for the purposes of dating.

13) Members of the opposite gender are expected to make the first move; therefore, it is less likely I will be sexually rejected by those I come into close contact with in a dating context.

14) I am not expected to spend a significant portion of my yearly income on a token that accompanies a marriage proposal.

16) If I am having dinner with a member of the opposite gender in a dating context, and I do not reach for the check, people are unlikely to assume I am cheap.

17) If I am having dinner with a member of the opposite gender in a non-dating context, and I do not reach for the check, people are still unlikely to assume I am cheap.

18) If I earn less than my partner, no one will look at me funny.

19) If I earn nothing and my partner supports me, no one will look at me funny.

22) If I am skilled in activities/hobbies that are commonly attributed to the opposite gender (kick boxing, operating power tools, shingling a roof, knitting, scrap-booking, floral arranging), people will see me as admirable. No one is likely to think I am a weirdo or wonder if I'm gay.

23) If I am completing a task with a member of the opposite gender, it will be expected that they take the greater physical burden--such as carrying the heavier boxes.

24) If I cry or am hurt, men and women are unlikely to tell me to "suck it up".

25) If I choose to stay at home with my children while my partner works, people are unlikely to think I am a deadbeat, unskilled, or shirking my responsibility to my family.

31) If I am a victim of domestic violence, there are many services in my community that will help people of my gender. It is unlikely I will be denied services based on my gender.

32) If my partner physically abuses me, I will be believed by the authorities. Their belief will not depend on whether I have physical signs of injury.

33) If I physically abuse my partner, people--including the authorities and victim's services personnel--are likely to assume it was in self defence. Even if I tell them I hit first and my partner is non-violent, they are likely to wonder if my partner did something to instigate the assault, like cheating on me, yelling at me, or otherwise provoking me to lose control.

34) If I physically abuse my partner, and they reciprocate, they are as likely or more likely to be the one arrested as I am, even if my partner's reciprocation was in self-defence.

35) If my partner physically abuses me, and I reciprocate--even if I admit my reciprocation was not in self-defence but out of anger--it is unlikely that I will be arrested.
    Reine

and places that require "shirt/tie/jacket" often have set rules for how women dress too...some require hosiery, all require you don't look like you are going to Buffett concert or are in a string bikini.
    Chief Joseph
    Nez Perce

Also, a lot of the "shirt/tie/jacket" restaurants allow women the option to wear a dressy pantsuit.

The one thing that jumps out to me a Privileged that fits or is note worthy in the CD world is they can dress in any clothes of male or female designation without scrutiny and even encouraged. It is not the doing it but the acceptance from the public that I consider a privilege. We have the same right just not so readily excepted. Other than this I think things are pretty much balanced out in this day and age unless you are willing to settle for less or demand more.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Fran
    It's worth something just being around to Fuss!

Reality Check
    The way the post is worded shows some definite bias so I don't expect replies will be taken seriously.

People often use terms such as "male privilege" and "female privilege" when trying to cast themselves as "victims" to explain their lack of success in life. The truth is that both sexes have (or do not have) "privilege" and it balances out pretty well in real life.

As long as a person (or a group of people) continue to paint themselves as victims and blame "privilege" (of others) for their own lack of success, they will continue to be unsuccessful in life.

This is probably verging on "off topic", but how come, if an obviously female woman (GG) were to dress in a suit and tie there would not be one word said to her or one evil look given to her. It would be seen as a fashion statement or "an interesting gender translation".

But I put on a dress with stockings and heels and I am a "sicko".

I reflect this from my own perspective because I am not "passable".
    "Life is too damn short to get hung up on gender issues" - Me

I do think we've strayed again into rather barmy, social structure and stereotype territory here...

I think Ezekiel's right in saying that this is sexism or inverted male chauvinism rather than privilege as is... equality by any measure is a Utopian ideal for ANY aspect of modern life... good to work toward but never entirely achievable.

The biggest human privilege I can think of is female... the capability and right to bear and give life to another human being... with a little help from a guy along the way...

How many men really envy that...?

You lucky GG ladies!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

The problem with the question of male or female "privilege" is that it too easily leads to Chauvinism. There's enough divisiveness in the world.