Page 2 of 2 FirstFirst 12

Thread: Transgender travel documents

Daniella Argento
    Fair point re an objective test, but the comparison was a metaphorical rather than direct comparison.
    If there were no gender markers on official documents it would not validate or invalidate you.
    Does your phone number have a gender marker? No. Do you feel more or less validated by this? I suspect you don't care. Of course we may find other things to obsess about but fundamentally I can see no valid reason for needing a marker on your official documents.
    Of course police will say the suspect is a 30 year old male with blonde hair and green eyes... Do they need any of this on a passport to correctly identify someone? No. They look for someone fitting that description PHYSICALLY not based onwhat is on their identity documents...

I identify as female. I am a woman. I am not an other, not an it, not queer. I support non-binary people, and the idea of having an "O" on documents for those who identify as neither male nor female.

However, I am a woman. I will never settle for having an "O" on my document. To me, an "O" degrades me just as bad as an "M" does. My only fear is forcing all trans identified people to mark "O" on their documents. My fear is that we will get pushed further into the "other" category. We need to really educate people about the difference between a woman who was born male (or man who was born female) who is transgender, versus a non-binary identified transgender person. Lots of people just are unaware of this fact.
    I've finally mastered the art of making salads. My favorite is a delicious Mediterranean salad.

I almost never use the word "transgender" since the word makes it more difficult for people to differentiate between us.
    Last edited by Alexis08; 08-14-2015 at 08:18 PM.