Thread: A little update

A little update

Hi everyone

I just wanted to share a little update in my personal life since my last post in March.

In a week I'll be starting in a new job as Web Developer. After 10 years as teacher, and one year at home on sick leave, that's going to be a big change in many ways. A lot less vacation days, but at least work won't come home with me.
    In the long run I hope to become fully self-employed someday as (Web)Designer. I've been doing it for 6 years freelancing on the side and it's really my thing. I've also noticed, since the start of accepting my true self, I've been able to produce better creatively.

I started HRT about three weeks ago. The first week was very difficult, panic, fear, suddenly not feeling anymore what made me start my journey. But I know what I want and I'm going for it, at my pace, taking my time. I've been living in a box that's not mine my entire life. I want out of it, but not to be pushed into another one. I want to be me, whatever or whoever that may be over time.

My new job doesn't know I'm trans yet. I'll be going to work dressed as a man. It won't be for a few months till things start to change noticeably and an explanation is necessary. It gives me the chance to prove my worth without prejudices of my colleagues and employers. It gives me the time to get to know everyone and find my place among them.
    But I'm hopeful. There's no dress-code, you come as you feel. And from what I saw after my first visit, there were may types and variations of people.
    Last edited by Helena Gwyn; 08-25-2015 at 05:49 AM.

Good luck in the new Job Helena

I have been doing that since 1995 full time and although nearing mid 60's still love it

I do contract seo contract work for a company that purchased my company about 3 1/2 years ago. Have recently come out 24x7 and the response from them has been fantastic

I am sure when your time comes, you will find the same

Good luck
    Pen
    So much to learn still

Banned Read only
    Helena,
    New job in a new gender has got to be good I hope it gets better for you without too many setbacks !

I had a job that has since gone by the wayside. It was fun now that I look back. There was a diverse group of people working there. Though at that time a trans person may not have been accepted. But I will say it was openly gay lesbian friendly. That was in the mid nineties. I think you will fit in nicely where you are.
    Candi
    Perfection Is a Road Not a Destination

Platinum Member
    Very good to hear that you've landed on your feet, found work that you enjoy, and are taking cautious steps toward freeing yourself.
    Remember always that you not only have the right to be an individual, you have an obligation to be one.

Eleanor Roosevelt

Cool! And good luck not taking your web job home with you (the only way to do that, really, is sleep at the office. ) The computer field is generally open and accepting of a wide range of behavior though it is still very male-dominated. In the web side of things it's easy to get yourself accepted as "a creative" which gets you wide leeway in terms of presentation. I have many deeply conservative clients who don't blink an eye when I show up in a meeting with bright nail polish and flashy earrings on because I'm a creative. On the other hand, you have to work pretty hard to get them to accept you as being a decision maker if they get it into their heads that you're a creative, so you have to take a pretty firm hand at times to make them acknowledge that you're not just a pretty face.

Welcome back Helena... You must tell as more as things progress for you...

Great news with the job and good luck for the future with that - some of us do seem to have a creative angle to things that we are good at...

Wish you well and look forward to hearing more from you and your new life!

Katey x
    "Put some lipstick on - Perfume your neck and slip your high heels on
    Rinse and curl your hair - Loosen your hips, and get a dress to wear"
    Stefani Germanotta

good luck
    well even if i'm wrong, you know i'm right

Good luck. I moved from 7-12 teaching to programming myself. It was strange working 8-5 and not taking things home at first but I loved the job. Ended up finishing my PhD while working as a programmer and have been a software engineering professor for the last 30 years (I got my summers off back - but always stuff to do around home). Hope your transition goes smoothly.

Best to you Helena! Keep us up to date, and good luck,

Jamie
    At the makeup counter

Thank you all!

I'll try to visit more often and share my experiences and changes. I think there will be more coming since I'm on HRT now. Untill now I was able to stay safely in the closet, but (hopefully) the day will come that's visually not possible anymore.

Just a quick question. Do I post these 'finding's' here or do I talk/write about this in a different section?

You're a brave girl. Thank you for the post and being willing to push the boundaries as we will all benefit. Good luck in your new career and gender.