Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1234 LastLast

Thread: Very interested to know why most people here have female names for their usernames.

Aspiring Member
    It goes with the territory: wear female clothes, wear a female name. In my case, Abby is my male nickname as well as my femme name. Psychologists that I have read on the subject tell us that a femme name often resembles the transgender person's male name in order to preserve the underlying personality in the person's identity. Works for me.

Because when in guy mode, I use my guy name - when in girl mode, I use my feminine name. Whenever I'm on this forum, I'm pretty much thinking in girl mode, thus, girl name makes more sense to me.

I have a female username for three reasons:-
    1. I'm in the closet - family and friends don't know about my cross dressing. Using a female name here and elsewhere online is part of the 'disguise'
    2. A male username would feel incongruous
    3. Getting to be 'Judith' online most days allows me to indulge the fantasy during the long periods when I can't get dressed up as I would like.

For me, the girl side was always really a different personality with very little overlap. Also, for me, gender presentations do not mix, it is either one or the other. I know others here on the forum enjoy blurring the lines and mixing up the clothing and presentation, but I could never do that.

So as for a name, for me, it has to be a female name for the female identity! Simple as that.

I picked Suzie Petersen many many years ago and have used it ever since. There is a reason behind that choice, but I'll keep that little secret for another time :-)

- Suzie

Not everyone has a female name and if you don't want one no one is going to think less of it. Or definitely shouldn't. For myself, other than not using my birth name for the obvious, I was trying to think of a female name, but since I do not have any female persona, its just me regardless of how dressed, I couldn't really come up with one I felt I could connect to. Soo, I then tried to come up with something that is descriptive of me, and hence I came up with my name.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

Just needed a name that would fit my outward appearance. Obviously Jason or stewart wouldn't do. So Sallee it was and still is If I had a male name like Kim or Dana that might go both ways I would have probably used that.
    [SIGPIC][/SIGPIC]Sallee

I just thought it was appropriate given my feminine persona. I always liked the name Angela so I chose that. I guess it also depends where you are in the male/female continuum. I would guess that the closer you are to the female side the more appropriate the female name. But like everything else to each their own.

I did not go by a feminine name for years, just dressed at home. However, once I started venturing out, a name was essential.

Many of my online friends only know me as Bridget and I have become conditioned to respond to that name in social media and virtual worlds.

I chose Carly because when I dress, it's always a good time.

Hi Mike,

I used my male name for ages on here and, like you, never really had a female name. When I started going out it was easier to have a female name so I chose one with help from some of my friends.

Once I had Mia as a female name this seemed to be the ideal forum to use it on so I updated my information. It's quite a strange thing to pick a new name for yourself and using it on here helped me adjust to being addressed as Mia rather than Mark.

If you're happy with Mike then great. If at some point in the future you want to change your profile name to something else then it's easy to do.

Mia.

Utah, north of West Jordan, south of North Salt Lake & west of South Salt Lake
    Mike, I didn't really pick a female name until I was about to go out and be with others in public settings. It just make sense that I would attract less unwanted attention when someone called me Sarah when I was presenting as a female. As I moved into more on-line communities, like this one, the name followed me. It's who I am to so many others, as well as who I feel I am much of the time.
    Sarah
    Being transgender isn't a lifestyle choice. How you deal with it is.

Mike,

You don't need to come up with a female name if you don't want one. I know of at least one other crossdressing forum that does require a female name in order to register, and it strikes me as odd that the site uses that as some sort of test of whether someone is a real/sincere/genuine crossdresser.

Not all crossdressers feel that they're inhabiting different personae while dressed; if you don't recognize yourself in those descriptions of other people's experiences, there's no need to think you should, or that you're somehow doing crossdressing wrong if you don't.

So, by all means, go by Mike if that suits you. I adopted a female name when I started signing up for online discussion groups like this one, for really absolutely no other reason than that it seemed to be the thing to do. I had never considered it before signing up for accounts here and elsewhere, and I still have never gone by Madeleine Quinn in real life, offline, in any setting whatsoever. It's an online pseudonym that I don't really consider to be different from any other username I've come up with for any other online forum I've ever registered for. I don't identify wth "Madeleine Quinn" any more than I do with the nickname/callsign I used to sign up for the flight simming message boards I've registered for, for example.

It is handy for opening a separate crossdresding Facebook account—something I did, not because I feel like crossdressing gives me a different persona that requires its own account/identity, but rather just because I have relatives and professional associates who don't need to know about my crossdressing, and I find Facebook's privacy settings woefully inadequate (e.g., announcing one's membership, even in closed groups, to one's friends via the "recommended groups" feature). Between that and the requirement to have a female name on some other crossdressing sites, there are a few pragmatic reasons to have one, in addition to the "everyone else is doing it" rationale. But you just go ahead and do you, whether that means coming up with a female name for yourself (or ever actually using it in certain contexts) or not.
    Last edited by Madeleine Quinn; 08-26-2015 at 04:26 PM.

Well, I'm a cross dresser. I love to create a credible facsimile of femininity when I dress up. I interact with other cross dressers and members of the wider TS community. Given all of that I decided that when presenting as a female I did not want to be called Barney.

Well pretty much like everyone else, When I'm out dressed and people ask my name I didn't want to use my male name so I came up with a female name for people to address me as. It was just easiest to make that my username here...
    Lydia

"Nothing in life is to be feared; it is only to be understood."
    -Marie Curie

Banned Read only
    Mike,
    When I joined the forum I didn't have a name, it was the best thing I did, it suddenly gave me an identity for that part of me. It's really a derivative of my male name which I find I'm very comfortable with.
    The funny thing was at the end of my counselling session I'd shown her my pictures and as I left she said see you next week Teresa, she then held her hand over her mouth gesturing an apology. I hadn't told her, so I asked how she knew ? She said it was so logical it just slipped out, even in male mode it felt so good to hear my name.

Banned Spammer
    Between here and there but mostly here close to the donuts.
    Just needed a female name so I chose Tracii because I could use it as male or female depending on the spelling.

Hi , since I have always felt female, Its just natruel I use a female name, because all my life inside I have felt more like a Lynda then a male namem its just me love peace Lynda

I was supposed to called Jessica as I was expected to be born a girl... Surprise!
    But on here, it really just preserves my and my families anonymity. I'm a dude in a dress, and I love "playing" the part of fem, but transition is not for me at this point of my life...
    XOXO - Jess

Banned Read only
    Cuz that's my name, OK 😡

Banned Read only
    Haha perfect answer Robin!! I think that Mike dont understand a few things too.

Well troll or no troll. Serious or not. Why I have a female sounding name on here. Because I like it. I feel connected to it. It suits me. My male name is Ty. I feel no connection with it. It's just a place holder. It doesn't feel like me. When I ask my parent why I got this name. Even they don't really have an answer. So Here I use and out in society, Natasha.

Cheers
    You laugh at me because I'm different. I laugh at you because your all the same

Who wants to dress all fem and hopefully beautiful and then be called "Bob"!

for me because it gives me my identity, basically its me

Because sometimes I dress up like a woman