Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 123 LastLast

Thread: wanting pierced ears but scared

I had my left ear pierced in 1990. I was 25 at the time, and no one ever said anything. I wore something for a couple of years but then I just tired of it I guess. I haven't worn anything solid since then, and believe it or not, with a bit of a push, I can still get one to go in.
    Chickens should be allowed to cross the road without having their motives questioned

I got my ears pierced in 83 and dern near lost my job. Rednecks in small towns. Gotta love them. I moved to mid ca. from there and got them pierced again. Only two places i don't wear earrings is church and work, that is my choice not theirs.

Quote Originally Posted by BLUE ORCHID View Post
    Hi Denise, It took me 72 yrs. to get my ears pierced, Back in March I went to Sally Beauty and got the little piercing gun and
    two pairs of sterile piercing stud cartridges & a bottle of cleaning solution.

After years of talking with my wife about getting my ears pierced I finally broke her down and she finally gave in.

On March 14th I marked my left ear where I wanted the studs and my DA/DTwife marked my right ear and we pierced
    each ear with two studs in each ear, then on May 12th. I put a third stud in each ear, I have long lobes and I wear three
    small Diamonds up the rear edge of the lobes
    Bottom stud 3/16"
    Middle Stud 1/8"
    Top Stud 3/32"

Piercing gun $18.00
    Two pairs of sterile cartridges $6.99 ea
    bottle of cleaning solution $5.99
    Plus tax about $39.00

It's like no one really has an opinion either way, A couple people made a comment and I just look them in the eye and
    I ask them, "Is this going to be a problem for you??" and that usually takes the wind out of their sails.

Denise, Once you have your ears pierced you will be kicking yourself for waiting so long and not doing is much earlier .

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~ ~~~~~~~>Orchid ...... <Triple Pierced
    Blue Orchid, your post brought back a memory of many years ago (before I mellowed) . I wore small hoops or studs most of the time, but always carried my A-HOLE hoops. They were about 5", if i was someplace and someone made comments about my small earrings i would say if they offend you i'll go change them. When i came back in i would have the large hoops in. Thst would start the laugh riot and the offender would shut up. Like i said,.itvwas before i mellowed

Quote Originally Posted by Suzie Petersen View Post
    I did both mine myself when I was 18 (35+ years ago). Big needle and an eraser on the back. GF liked it, mom was about to have a heart attack!

Back then it was not normal at all, but very few people said anything.

- Suzie
    Not to threadjack, but that would have been around 1980 or so. Where I grew up pierced ears on a guy were normal -- as long as you had safety pins in them, a mohawk haircut, and a Sex Pistols tape in your cassette deck. I remember in the college dorms by 1981 or 1982, it seemed like every guy there was getting his left ear pierced.

I had my ears pieced last November. Only a few friends asked why l told them I wanted to. Nothing else said. You will love the way they look and feel. I wear Dimond studs in guy mode.

Just do it. I posted a detailed account of my experience with the process in the clothing and beauty section. Several ladies responded with their own experiences. Check it out.

Should I tell my wife or just do it that is the question... My wife hates Denise

Retainers

Quote Originally Posted by DeniseNJ View Post
    Well now I am retired. I always wanted to get my ears pierced. When a guy gets their ears piercred do they place the holes any different or it it the same placement for M or F. If you don't want to attract too much attention :::what posts would you go with till the holes are healed open...
    I had two holes pierced in each lobe about four years ago. It actually took mine about tow years to heal to the point that if I didn/t wear something for a few days, they'd heal over.

**But there is a nice solution. You can order Pyrex "retainers" to wear. They are small Pyrex glass (very strong) "L" shaped, about 1/4" each side, with a small ball on one end to keep them from slipping through. You can wear them with very few people noticing.

@Carly,

Well it wasnt normal where I grew up, I can tell you that much (not the US), and the punk music scene was pretty far from my lifestyle too, so that would not have counted either :-)

- Suzie

Banned Read only
    I had both my ears pierced in 1978. The Navy didn't like it but they are the only ones that ever said anything about it. I have 4 holes in each ear now. No big deal. If you want it, go for it. Anyone says anything just look at them and start singing and dancing a little, That's the way I like it, uh-huh, uh-huh.

Banned Read only
    I had my ears pierced 5 times in the 80's. I had to stop wearing them when my daughter was born because she kept pulling at them. I've been thinking about getting just my left ear done again.

I had mine pierced 6 weeks ago, not had any problems. Only a few people mentioned anything. No one has made a big deal of them.

I got my left ear pierced in 1978, did it at a mall store. Thinking about doing the other one lately, may have to go to a tattoo/piercing place, since the 'mall piercing trend' seems to have abated.

Hope your SO is okay with it. Read my post on what happened to me when my wife found out. Kind of funny, but a good example of how we don't live in a bubble.

Banned Read only
    "Upstate" NY USA.... Site of the first crash of the "Vin Fiz"
    I'm now 68 years old and got my ears pieced when I was about 55 years old.
    I'm now retired but I worked in a blue collar environment in the graphic printing industry.

I only got two comment about them at work.
    One was from my best friend at work who just asked if it hurt to have ears pierced. I of course said no and that was the end of it .

The only other comment was a playful one from a lady friend at work who wanted to know to know what else I got pierced that she could not see.

Fact is,even back then pierced ears on a male was common place even for masculine males.

Earlobe piercing is done in the exact same spots for both males and females .
    0f course, everyone's earlobes are a different shape so, the bet spot for a given individual (male or female} must be determined for the best aesthetics.

Anyway I commonly now wear 3mm CZ studs when in male mode in public.

BTW, I got them pierced at "Claire's "at the local mall and it was a non event. The lady doing the piercing was a real pro and did it matter of factually.... taking care to place the piecing if the correct spots, etc.
    Last edited by Barbara Jo; 08-27-2015 at 12:19 PM.

I pierced my own, rotated them several times a day.. and switched them out for gold ball studs after just 4 weeks. I put a second set in above them which again after 4 weeks were switched for gold mounted sparklies. Hardly anyone has mentioned them.. my best mate even said "at least you got them both done!". it's really no big deal nowadays.

Denise I had mine done several months ago after a life time of wanting them done. I went to a mall shop and had the gun with gold studs. (I actually did them one at a time about 6 weeks apart). My only regret was that I waited so long! I love them, I love wearing them, and I have had nothing but positive comments. Although those are few and far between, most folks don't even comment.

Like you I love dangly earrings and now I can wear them, and it's wonderful!

As has been mentioned, frequently turn them, keep them religiously clean...I used alcohol or sea salt and warm water soaked on a Q-tip. The sea salt worked better, but the alcohol was easier. I didn't even bother with the cleaning solution...the girl at the Piercing Pagoda didn't even offer it, other than telling me to use alcohol or the sea salt mix.

Best of wishes, it truly is painless and nobody cares that you may be a guy with pierced ears. hugs
    Chrissi
    Smile! You'll always brighten someone's day, including your own from their return smile!

Got mine done about 10 years ago at a Piercing Pagoda at one of the malls. They insert a gold ball or something of the like (you choose) that they call "starters". I had both ears done and then a few months later had them done again.
    All ears are done the same way. IN this case they mark the spot, get your approval, then use this little "gun" loaded with the earrings. They squeeze the trigger and voila...pierced.
    I never tried to hide it from anyone and no one ever made a comment.
    I don't wear women's clothes, I wear MY clothes !

Getting my ears pierced is like a dream that I want to change asap, soI have bought my first earrings today in order to have a suitable collection.... Do you know where I can find the courage to get my ears pierced?

I dont like most clip on earings so i buy hook earrings and have a bag of clips and convert hook earrings into clip on earrings.

Gone to live my life
    Hi Denise,

I just had my ears pierced. My advice, do your research prior to getting it done as you can just go to the mall and have it done with a piercing gun (which I was going to do until I did some online research). Piercing guns are normally wielded by a person with minimal experiences (usually a training video), they literally force the stud through your ear lobe which can cause skin damage and guns cannot be sterilized in an autoclave after each use (the best they get is a wipe down with alcohol swabs. As such, the chance of infection is higher. As well the starter studs are normally a composite metal with nickel and if you don't know if you are allergic to nickel you could have a reaction. Now, don't get me wrong people have their ear pieced every day with no issues . . . just saying there is a higher probability of problems.

I went to a tattoo/body piercing establishment and got a walk through by a lovely woman who does the piercings. She showed me the establishment's health certificates, the sterilizing procedures and explained how it is done. A topical freezing is placed on the lobe and she inserts an 18 gauge needle through the ear which feeds the surgical steel retainer channel through. Except for the initial shock, little pain, little blood and to date no infection (healing quite well). It is a bit more expensive than a booth in the mall but I prefer a bit of sanitary safety when I put a hole in my body.

Cheers and let us know if you decide to get it done.

Isha

I retired in 2008 and the first thing I did was get my ears pierced nothing too it I just told my wife time for some new ear rings and look how long I have had them. I have studs, small rings and others nothing too big altho I would love to have larger ones but my wife didnt care for them.

Should I tell my wife or just do it that is the question... My wife hates Denise

dont give her another reason to hate denise, talk and explain that your were thinking about doing it, see how she responds....
    ....Mykell
    i dressed like a girl and i liked it! crossdressing...theirs an app for that

Reality Check
    Seriously? You have to know the answer to that question. Just like you wouldn't expect your wife to get a visible tattoo without discussing it with you, you don't get your ears pierced without discussing it with her.

If your wife hates your crossdressing, getting your ears pierced, especially without discussing it with her beforehand, will only make matters worse.

Denise, Isha beat me to the point - go to a proper piercing/tattoo parlour and have them do it for you. do your research on the best establishment in your area - and they are very public about their credentials - and pay the extra to have it done properly. the special needles they use are measured by gauge, and have at least three edges and are hollow - they actually remove a tiny bit of your ear lobe as they pierce so the jewelry fits in quite nicely. follow their instructions to the letter! i've had my earrings for fifteen year, i wear them every day, and i couldn't be happier with the work

the adage is true: you get what you pay for.