Results 1 to 14 of 14

Thread: Medical care for Trans hits home.

  1. #1
    Lady in waiting Peggie Lee's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2013
    San Luis Obispo County, CA.

    Medical care for Trans hits home.

    Today my family doctor of about 10 years informed me that he did not want to do my pre-op exam for my SRS. He stated that he could not be involved in this type of operation on personal grounds but had no issue attending to my general health needs.
    Should I give him a pass on this or seek out another doctor for all my health needs, in my area few doctors are taking new patients. The doctor that does my hormones will due the pre-op but is leaving just after my surgery.
    I can get future hormones from Dr Bowers but she is 240 miles away.

  2. #2
    Member emma5410's Avatar
    Join Date
    Nov 2012
    If you have issues after the surgery will he treat you? He is supposed to be a doctor. How can he refuse to treat a medical issue?
    If your surgery offends him, if your being TS offends him then you offend him and I would have nothing to do with him. Find another doctor if you can.

  3. #3
    Aspiring Member Dawn cd's Avatar
    Join Date
    May 2011
    He had the decency to be open with you. I think you have to respect his decision. The real issue is, will he refuse to treat you for future matters that may touch on your SRS or any other procedures in the course of transition? Will these, too, be matters of conscience for him? Perhaps you should begin looking around for another doctor.

  4. #4
    Platinum Member kimdl93's Avatar
    Join Date
    Jan 2010
    Almost the Great White North...
    If he can't be involved for personal reasons, thank him for his candor, and move on to a physician who won't interject his personal philosophy on your care.

    Easy come, easy go;
    Easy left me long ago...

  5. #5
    Gold Member
    Join Date
    Dec 2008
    I agree with Kim. What will happen when you need him and he makes another decision that he can't treat you. A doctor has to be there 100%. Maybe you don't drop him while looking, but I would start looking.

  6. #6
    Silver Member DanaR's Avatar
    Join Date
    Feb 2008
    Shopping at the mall, in the Pacific NW USA
    You might ask this doctor or Dr. Bowers for some referrals, then call each one and ask if they would have a problem with you. I got a referral about fifteen years ago, from a surgeon that I liked and she operated on my foot, for a GP. I've gone to this GP for fifteen years now, she knows all about my gender issues and has become a friend.
    Dana Ryan

  7. #7
    Silver Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2009
    Does that mean if you get any kind of infections (including uti) or have other issues post op he wont be willing to help? If that is the case find someone else. My surgeon is on the other side of the world and have had problems, I would be in a very bad way if I did not have a local doctor helping me out.

  8. #8
    Banned Read only
    Join Date
    Feb 2013
    Find another doctor.

    He took an oath. He violates it by treating you that way.

    It's not for him to judge you - it's his duty as a physician to treat you.

    My heart goes out to you. I know that it can be very difficult to find trans affirming healthcare even in a major metropolitan area.

  9. #9
    Gold Member Kaitlyn Michele's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2005
    you need another doctor...
    and paula is right...

    he took an OATH!!!

  10. #10
    Silver Member Loni's Avatar
    Join Date
    Oct 2009
    in the hills of central california


    time for a proper Dr, one who has "problems" with your life choises, is not a good match for your medical needs.

    aka: down the rd he thinks something else "is not proper"????


  11. #11
    GerriJerry Gerrijerry's Avatar
    Join Date
    Aug 2007
    Find another doctor. It maybe a little hard to find one, but it will be better for you in the end. Less stress .
    TO OVER WEIGHT TO POST A PHOTO, MY wife tells me I look like I am pregnant

  12. #12
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Sep 2005
    He is not performing the surgery, merely attesting that you are fit for it. Time to change doctors.
    It's Frances with an E, like Frances Farmer. Francis is a man's name.

  13. #13
    Amazing Member
    Join Date
    Mar 2008
    Good and knowledgeable medical care after SRS and during HRT, can be the difference between a successful SRS or failure, and further, between life and death.
    NOTICE: Any institutions or individuals using this site or any of its associated sites for studies, projects or any other reasons, PLEASE BE WARNED THAT You DO NOT have MY permission to use any of my profile or pictures in any form or ANY forum posts both current and future. If you have DONE THIS or do IT, I MAY consider IT a violation of my rights to privacy and it may as a result, even be the subject of the appropriate action, including steps permitted under the law involving courts and lawyers. Why not ask for my approval and permission first?

  14. #14
    Senior Member
    Join Date
    Jun 2008
    Central FL
    Peggie, I goggled and there are a lot of LGBT doctors in your area, sorry about
    this one. All the best.

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts

Check out these other hot web properties:
Catholic Personals | Jewish Personals | Millionaire Personals | Unsigned Artists | Crossdressing Relationship
BBW Personals | Latino Personals | Black Personals | Crossdresser Chat | Crossdressing QA
Biker Personals | CD Relationship | Crossdressing Dating | FTM Relationship | Dating | TG Relationship

The crossdressing community is one that needs to stick together and continue to be there for each other for whatever one needs.
We are always trying to improve the forum to better serve the crossdresser in all of us.

Browse Crossdressers By State